Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I have a 13" MBP and an iPhone 4S. I would like to be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop when I'm in the office, but am under the impression that it is not reasonably possible to do so.

However, I recently downloaded the Air Display app for my iPad, which allows me to use it as a secondary display (e.g. iCal, Contacts and Reminders are displayed on my iPad but controlled using my laptop).

Having done this, I am wondering if I could set up my iPhone and laptop in a similar way so that I can then send and receive text messages from my laptop. I'm thinking that, if I download Air Display for my laptop, I may be able to "move" the text app from my iPhone to my laptop (much like I "move" iCal, Contact and Reminders to my iPad) and then be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop. Is this possible? If so, is this how I should set it up?

Thanks.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I have a 13" MBP and an iPhone 4S. I would like to be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop when I'm in the office, but am under the impression that it is not reasonably possible to do so.
Depends on what you mean by reasonable. I do this all the time with Google Voice.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Having done this, I am wondering if I could set up my iPhone and laptop in a similar way so that I can then send and receive text messages from my laptop. I'm thinking that, if I download Air Display for my laptop, I may be able to "move" the text app from my iPhone to my laptop (much like I "move" iCal, Contact and Reminders to my iPad) and then be able to send and receive text messages from my laptop. Is this possible? If so, is this how I should set it up?

Thanks.

Air Display enables the use of an iOS device as a secondary display for a PC or Mac. You want to use your laptop to view the iPhone screen, and that is not what Air Display does.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
You can send imessages, but to my knowledge not text messages.

Hmm, that seems odd, seeing as all I would be doing is controlling my iPhone via my laptop. Any idea why I would be able to do one but not the other?

----------

Air Display enables the use of an iOS device as a secondary display for a PC or Mac. You want to use your laptop to view the iPhone screen, and that is not what Air Display does.

Yeah, reading up on the Air Display app, that seems to be the impression I get. But, I have Air Display on my iPad and I move application windows from my laptop to my iPad. Is it because I'm trying to do the opposite (i.e. move application windows from my iPhone to my laptop) that it cannot be done?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

You can send texts by sending it to an email - most providers have an email to text gateway. ATT's is phonenumber@txt.att.net. They can reply to 36245 with your email address as the first part of the text message.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
Hmm, that seems odd, seeing as all I would be doing is controlling my iPhone via my laptop. Any idea why I would be able to do one but not the other?

Not really. The Ipad and mac's have message apps. This links the messages across all the devices through your icloud ID. Therefore it's not a text message as it's a conversation using icloud id's and not phone numbers/IMEI #'s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.