Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdtoomey

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I've been living in the same apt now for 2 years and its hit and miss in my apartment on signal...but somedays its way worse than others. a co-worker said she got AT&T to send her a free microcell home cell extender (works very well from what ive heard) by threatening to cancel service with them. Anyone have experience with this device and/or got AT&T to send them one free (its like $200+ on amazon).

AT&T used to provide the devices for free when the first launched. As for threatening cancellation....it all depends on if you get sent to the save team or not....and revenue/tenure.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
No. I just switched to Verizon and my phone actually works now. Seriously I have had maybe one or two dropped calls in almost a year. I had calls that would drop twice on AT&T. Slower data over 3G, but if I were to ram a deer near my house, I like the ability to call 911.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I was offered a free Microcell today after calling Customer Service and complaining about the lack of a reliable signal in my area.

The person said that although they can't ship me a free Microcell that they can credit my account the $200 that it would cost me to go and buy one at a local AT&T retail store.

Unfortunately they said they're unable to cover the taxes on the item, but I'm fine with that. Will pick it up tomorrow hopefully and test it out and see how it works.

Yes, that's exactly what happened to me. I got the microcell, and it works reasonably well when I'm close by to it but certainly not my entire house.

AtlasBoy

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2009
The World
The service at my house was bad. I was dropping calls like crazy. I called tech support and they opened a ticket to see if there was poblem with the local tower. In the process the rep told me I was in an area that had service but it was "on the edge" of their area. He checked and found many people in my area had microcells to solve this problem. After they checked the tower and did not find a problem I told the rep I had to cancel as I work from home and it was costing me business. They transfered me to Customer Relations to see what they could do. I was told they no longer gave them for free. I explained I had to switch to VZN as the dropped calls were costing me business. She very quickly offered me a $250 credit to cover the cost of the microcell and for my inconvenience. I had to go to the store to buy the unit. It works great. I have not had a dropped call since I've had it (about 3 months).

Fast forward to now. I've gotten the new iPhone every year at launch. AT&T has always moved my date up for a full upgrade. This year they did not. I read on another post that some people had been able to get a credit to offset the $250 early upgrade cost. I called and gave it a try and they very quickly told me no go. I had to wait until May to get my full upgrade. I'm don't know if the credit I got for the microcell played a part in this but I bet it did. My point being you can most likely get a credit from them but it might close the door to anything else down the road. For me that's ok as my 4S with iOS 6 is good for me until May now that it works at my house.

Flash69

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Austin, TX
Good insight Flash69. I also have a zBoost booster in my house and although it has helped somewhat, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference. I get 5 bars up on the roof where the Zboost antenna is placed and 5 bars in my attic where the zBoost base station is, but then down in the house it is just 3 bars or so, even if I'm directly beneath it.

Wondering if the Microcell and the zBoost can co-exist simultaneously in the same place and if there's any synergy from using both...

One more note I forgot to add. I didn't use the crappy cable the zBoost came with. I use regular RG6 cable. I have the antenna in the attic and the actual booster down stairs in the living room. People with low zBoost performance should make adjustments to get better signal. I am a true believer, they work great. There is no need for a microcell if you have a zBoost.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I was offered one last week.. Well not entirely. I would have to pay the $199.99 plus tax and they would give me a 200 dollar bill credit with 1-2 billing cycles. I opted not to do it yet because the reviews I have read are just eh. Works well for some and not for others. In addition it's only 3G data so it won't help with the iPhone 5 and LTE data speeds. Even the iPhone 4S with HSPA+.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
At least with AT&T you have a microcell option.

I live near Youngstown Ohio Airport/US Air Force Reserve Base. All the cell carriers are poor due to tower and power restrictions. Their phones work OK outside but poorly inside.

I have two microcells. One is from Sprint and the other is AT&T. I got the Sprint one free because my Blackberry is part of a commercial account with 15 lines.

I couldn't get the AT&T for free but it was worth the fee for our iPhones to work well. In fact we recently got rid of our landline.

My parent and brother have Verizon. Their phones do not work inside my house.

Thus when I upgraded to iPhone 5, Verizon wasn't an option with no microcell option.

BTW, in the Youngstown area, AT&T has the best coverage. Sprint has the worst.

Verizon has a femtocell/microcell option. My cousins who live in a dead zone (pretty much in the middle of the woods) got one from Verizon and now get service when they are home.

I have found that the only chance (without REALLY having to complain a lot) of getting a microcell from AT&T is if you live in an area where their maps show poor or no coverage.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I have a coworker who managed to get a free microcell after she moved to an apartment where it was hard to get decent coverage. Now, she had to call back several times and eventually spoke with a manager, but they did hook her up.

She did have to threaten to leave for Verizon, too.

northofnowhere

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I went into my AT&T store today. I told the guy I had just ordered a new iPhone 5 and was tired of not having any service in my house. I asked how much time I had between getting my phone and canceling my contract if I don't get better service(I didn't mention a microcell at all). Without any hesitation, he said I could get a free Microcell if the service was indeed bad in my area. He looked up my address and within 5 minutes I was walking out with a free Microcell.

So far, it works great. Have only made a couple of calls. Depending on where I'm at in my house I range from 3 bars to 5. I previously had "searching" or "no service".

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I may try to get one...my service at my house it spotty. My wife called today and left a VM. She got home 2 hours later, the call never registered on my phone, nor did I get a voicemail. Two hours later, we're watching TV and my phone buzzes, the voicemail showed up :rolleyes:

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I did about a year ago... took someone's "proof" letter from here, tracked down the e-mail of the manager listed on the letter and emailed him directly.

Wi-Ex Rep

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Now there are several things about these boosters.
1. They don't work with Sprint's radio spectrum. Not sure if there is a specific version for that spectrum.
2. The one I have does not work with LTE., however I understand the companies are starting to make LTE boosters too.

There is NO way I would trade this booster for a microcell. The booster works as an amplifier so it boosts ALL the spectrums that it supports and works for anyone with a phone on that spectrum. Once it's installed, no fuss no muss!

Flash, happy to hear that zBoost has solved your signal needs! I wanted to expand a little on what you mentioned above.

1. Yes if it is an iDEN phone or a walkie talkie/radio type phone, we do not work with them – only phones using our dual band frequencies. So we do work with Sprint phones using 800 and 1900 frequencies.
2. Our zBoost DataBlast, enhancing 4G/LTE signal, will begin shipping in October

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Now that more cellphones are using 4G/LTE. ATT is more likely to give you a microcell (which is only good for a 3G signal) for free. You shouldn't have any problem

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
received the yx550 datablaster today, fast shipping from solidsignal in michigan where I found the best price, and setup was a breeze. I installed the antenna in my living room, outdoor installation is not an option for me, and put the receiver in the basement underneath the master bedroom.

results:

pros: definitely have a stronger and more reliable connection. I used to have to keep a device in one place to get a 4G connection and can now walk around the house and receive signal. I also get 4 bars in the basement where I did not receive any signal before.

cons: speeds are only about average to what they were before, maybe just a little faster. That's not the main reason I bought it but would like a little faster for the money.

conclusion: I have a few weeks to experiment and see if I get faster speeds. I'll have to decide then if it's worth the $260 shipped or if I should return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.