Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEXT IPHONE NEEDS COMPLETE REDESIGN

• AGREE

Votes: 144 47.1%
  • DISAGREE

Votes: 162 52.9%

• Total voters

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I don't know if it needs a "redesign" in shape. It just needs to have a bigger screen, that is not just taller, but also wider. The design of the phone itself is slick and nice, in my opinion. But would like to see that much rumored tear drop designed a few years ago, but that's wishful thinking.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Other than reducing the screen size back to 3.5 inches i see no reason to mess with perfection.

Leekyfaucets

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Why do everybody think that the iPhone needs a new design? You can't really change the way the outside looks. If they had to change things it would be, I dunno, maybe the width of the or maybe the width of the screen. I have been waiting for an iPhone on Verizon since they came out didn't get 1 till the 4s came out. I love the way it feels and look but some ppl on here are correct. It do need a bigger screen to maybe keep up with all the others. But let's face it. No matter what Apple puts out, ppl will buy it. Me, personally the sweet spot for screen sizes are 4.3-4.7. That's the area. Maybe apple should look at why so many ppl jailbreak their phones. I mean it's my phone, why can't I do what I want with it? The new 5, to me is a little disappointing only because its taller. They could have just kept it the same width also. It's tooooo light, feel like Imma break it. 4s has nice weight to it.

I think these things should be implemented in the next iPhone (design and UI)
Some of these will be taken from android or the JB community

Screen 4.5 inches but make phone same width as b4 the 5
Live wallpapers (app n store with about 50 diff. Ones)
Face identification (4 lock screen but better than android cuz I can u a pic or my wife n unlock her phone)
Real fingerprint scanner (how dnt think it will work properly but who knws)
Different way to kill all apps
Flash video. (That would be great). Dnt apple use adobe on macs. Dnt hve1
Just basically they should find out why ppl jailbreak their phones and try and polish up on that idea or take some things from the JB world and apply it to iPhones. I pretty much guarantee less ppl would jailbreak there phones. It would still get jailbroken but less ppl would do it. Any comments. This is my first post too. I'm bored at work n started reading. I cnt upgrade till October anyway.

----------

Other than reducing the screen size back to 3.5 inches i see no reason to mess with perfection.

U like the smaller screen. Wow

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Agree, but it can not only be a hardware redesign, it has to be an iOS as well otherwise we will have the same crap, just on another phone.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
So the iPhone has kept the same look since 2007?

Yep. To someone who doesn't know anything about the phones minor visual details, they can't tell the difference.
For example, I had an iPhone 2G, upgraded to and iPhone 4 on release, my grandma look at the both side by side and says: "They're the same, but the old one has more silver on it" and I asked which she preferred (she knows how to use iOS and is a very good computer user, working professionally in it) she tells me she prefers the old one because it is more round. Therefore I'm pretty sure I can say that the phone has never really has any major overhaul. It's always the same old slide to unlock, confronted with a grid of icons, an exceptionally boring pull down notification center, and the same old home button. Can we see something new please?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Yep. To someone who doesn't know anything about the phones minor visual details, they can't tell the difference.
For example, I had an iPhone 2G, upgraded to and iPhone 4 on release, my grandma look at the both side by side and says: "They're the same, but the old one has more silver on it" and I asked which she preferred (she knows how to use iOS and is a very good computer user, working professionally in it) she tells me she prefers the old one because it is more round. Therefore I'm pretty sure I can say that the phone has never really has any major overhaul. It's always the same old slide to unlock, confronted with a grid of icons, an exceptionally boring pull down notification center, and the same old home button. Can we see something new please?

my granma cant tell the difference therefore nothing changed!1

I am not against change but personally i dont feel a need for a major overhaul. iOS does what i need and expect from my phone.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
I am not against change but personally i dont feel a need for a major overhaul. iOS does what i need and expect from my phone.

Okay, dont feel the "need" for an overhaul, but it would be nice to have one, with things like widget intergration and being able to put files on the device without the need for iTunes. It would be nice, I admit however, that I don't feel it needs it. And it does do everything I need it to do as you said.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

So it has the same concept in design, which is not the same. If you handed me a 2G and a 4, I would tell you which is which and that the 4 is better.

Only thing I can recommend is if you want something different, leave iOS for alittle bit.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
So it has the same concept in design, which is not the same. If you handed me a 2G and a 4, I would tell you which is which and that the 4 is better.

Only thing I can recommend is if you want something different, leave iOS for alittle bit.

Most people could tell me which is which.
However, I don't like any of the other mobile OSes that are currently available.

thatgirl87

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
I hope it doesn't. I love the current design of the iPhone 5. The only thing about the design that should change is make it iPad Mini size. I hope they never get rid of the flat sides.

djones817

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
As someone that has used both Android and Apple devices extensively, I wouldn't say the iPhone needs to be completely redesigned. The hardware is already best in class.

On the hardware front I believe a 4.3-4.5 inch display would be the perfect balance and they could still offer the 3.5/4 inch model as the cheaper version.

In my opinion, moving to a 4-inch display didn't have enough of an effect because the screen only got taller and not wider so the amount of content visible didn't really increase.

The biggest problem is that iOS has not been redesigned to fully take advantage of a bigger screen and thats what I believe needs the most work rather than hardware.

Some software enhancements that I feel iOS could use out of the box are:
1. Live tiles/Widgets,
2. Updated notification center
3. Freedom to place apps anywhere on the grid
4. Update app icons to look like OSX icons rather than squares (I think this is the biggest reason iOS still looks like its 2007)
5. Etc, magical, etc, revolutionary, etc.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am personally not sold on the concept of widgets. Am I the only one who likes the idea of my iphone primarily being an app launcher? Why would I want a widget that sucks battery life and hogs half the screen?

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
If they ever plan on doing anything with NFC they will have to change out the metal back, and why not use more of the iPad design elements. The iP5 is really just an iP4/4S but taller and thinner and not so innovative.

Yeah I mean its not like they doubled the RAM or designed a custom A6 processor in it. It's just taller and thinner. :rolleyes:

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
To be honest, this is the first time since 2009 (when I entered the iOS world) that I feel like Android has the more attractive flagships. The HTC One and the Xperia Z blow the iPhone 5 out of the water in terms of looks. Those 1080p screens don't hurt either... I'm probably not going to jump ship just yet (the Xperia Z reportedly has terrible battery life and I'd rather have the Snapdragon 800 than the 600 used in the One), but I find myself looking at Android phones with a lot of interest lately, something I haven't ever done before because Apple's offerings were so clearly superior in terms of design and functionality. Not anymore.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I can't wait until it's announced and the threads start like: "are you getting the new iPhone?", "Going to Android!!", and "not getting the same phone again".

mapledress

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Personally, I love the current design very much, stylish. Only hope that the screen of iPhone can become a litter bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.