Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
I downloaded a couple songs last night via iTunes. Today I went to the music app on my iPhone 5 to download the songs from iCloud and I got this message.

Can anyone tell me what it means?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362015056.650802.jpg

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
I downloaded a couple songs last night via iTunes. Today I went to the music app on my iPhone 5 to download the songs from iCloud and I got this message.

Can anyone tell me what it means?

View attachment 399770

It means you downloaded songs on a your device recently from a different itunes account. You can still download whatever you were trying to or will try to but you just cant keep switching back your itunes account from device to device to share downloads.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
It means you downloaded songs on a your device recently from a different itunes account. You can still download whatever you were trying to or will try to but you just cant keep switching back your itunes account from device to device to share downloads.

That's what I thought it sounded like. The thing is though we all share one Apple ID for purchases. I even just made sure I was signed into the same account and I am. Plus I had to use the same password we use when I purchased the songs.

I never have tried downloading songs from iCloud on my iPhone 5. I've always just plugged into iTunes and added the songs that way.

We also have a 3GS (we have a total of 5 devices that share the same Apple ID) which is using the same Apple ID. We was able to download the songs to it without that message popping up.

I'm puzzled.

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
This happened to me on my last update. I put in my iCloud Apple ID to set it up and downloaded some movies on my iPad. The music and movies won't transfer over but the apps will. I've owned every iphone from the 3G and never had this problem. AppleCare said it was an iTunes problem and iTunes support said it was a software problem with the update.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Is the phone like a hand me down, or did you buy it used? That may explain the message.

I'm not sure if this would work, but you could also do a complete restore. That should get rid of any prior apple id's that were previously used on the device. Again, I'm not 100% sure if that would work.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
I think I might have found something. I went into my account in iTunes. Scrolled down to iTunes in the cloud where I seen manage devices. I actually had 7 devices sharing the account.

I went ahead and deleted a couple devices which we don't use anymore. I didn't see my iPhone 5 listed. I plugged my phone up and synced with iTunes thinking it might show up but no luck.

So how do I associate this iPhone with iTunes? I think that might be the problem.

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
That's what I thought it sounded like. The thing is though we all share one Apple ID for purchases. I even just made sure I was signed into the same account and I am. Plus I had to use the same password we use when I purchased the songs.

I never have tried downloading songs from iCloud on my iPhone 5. I've always just plugged into iTunes and added the songs that way.

We also have a 3GS (we have a total of 5 devices that share the same Apple ID) which is using the same Apple ID. We was able to download the songs to it without that message popping up.

I'm puzzled.

thats weird, the only time i have ever saw that message is when i downloaded music from one account, then switched to another.

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
thats weird, the only time i have ever saw that message is when i downloaded music from one account, then switched to another.

Yeah it is strange. I have no problem downloading purchased apps from iCloud. Only music. Very weird. Maybe it's a bug. I'm going to call Apple Care tomorrow and see what they say.

When I synced my phone with iTunes earlier I was able to add the music with out any problems.

Last edited:

erichess22

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2013
Yeah it is strange. I have no problem downloading purchased apps from iCloud. Only music. Very weird. Maybe it's a bug. I'm going to call Apple Care tomorrow and what they say.

When I synced my phone with iTunes earlier I was able to add the music with out any problems.

That is very odd. Good luck! Let me know what the outcome is!

ICON5o2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Kentucky
Ok I'm finally back with an update.

So Apple really doesn't know why I was getting that message. I was transferred to a engineer and he had me try a few different things. None of them worked. He finally told me to just hit transfer. I did and the songs began downloading.

I told him I did have to get the phone replaced. I asked him if it could be refurbished. He asked me where I returned the phone and I told him at my local Apple store. He said that couldn't be the case cause since I returned it at the Apple store it was a new device.

Another thing is even if it was a refurb it shouldn't give me that message just with music. It should do that with apps and books also.

The only thing he could come up with is it was some kind of bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.