Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I'm not a fan of these big superzooms. The image quality is mediocre at best and I think you'll be much better off getting a body and, say, a Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8. You'll cover most situations with these focal lengths, it's comparatively fast and already capable to isolate your subjects, and if you get the non-VC version, it's actually a very cheap lens. Plus, it's agnostic, you can get a Nikon or a Canon.

In practical terms, I don't think you'll notice any differences. The fact that the Nikkor is slightly faster is not something that tips the scale in its favor. In any case, you can get better/faster lenses for both systems later. E. g. Sigma's new 35 mm lens is supposedly stellar and on par with Nikon and Canon pro glass.

Huh??

ithink that guy ment the sensor in the canon t4i is out of date, ive remember reading it uses the same sensor as the t2i i think?

and thanks for the tips. i guess one of the things i liked about the t4i kit lens was it has a silent motor focusing system which is nice but i didnt know these super zooms effect quality. it seemed a nice "all around lens"

ive never tried sigma or tamrom, are they as good as nikon and canons brand from your expereince?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
i guess one of the things i liked about the t4i kit lens was it has a silent motor focusing system which is nice but i didnt know these super zooms effect quality. it seemed a nice "all around lens"
The Nikkor 35 mm and the Sigmas have a silent motor as well.
ive never tried sigma or tamrom, are they as good as nikon and canons brand from your expereince?
Depending on the model, the price/performance is usually much better. You really need to look at a particular lens to make a verdict though. Sigma's new 35 mm f/1.4 full frame lens seems to be on par or better than what Canon and Nikon have to offer.

The Tamron I've recommended (17-50 mm f/2.8) costs 1/4 to 1/5 of the Nikon/Canon equivalent, so even if the latter have better optical performance, what counts in my opinion is what you can get for similar money. And the Tamron is definitely superior to any of the kit lenses.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
The Nikkor 35 mm and the Sigmas have a silent motor as well.

Depending on the model, the price/performance is usually much better. You really need to look at a particular lens to make a verdict though. Sigma's new 35 mm f/1.4 full frame lens seems to be on par or better than what Canon and Nikon have to offer.

The Tamron I've recommended (17-50 mm f/2.8) costs 1/4 to 1/5 of the Nikon/Canon equivalent, so even if the latter have better optical performance, what counts in my opinion is what you can get for similar money. And the Tamron is definitely superior to any of the kit lenses.

is it this one?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898836-REG/Sigma_340306_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html

sweet jesus! 900 dollars!

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
well my current predicament is, nikon d5200 body and the nikon 35mm lens i already have, or canon t4i with 18-135mm lens. if i go canon route i can easily sell the 35mm and break even on kijiji. canon doesnt have a 35mm unfortunately, just a 50mm but the FOV on that on the t4i is to tight since its a crop sensor lens. i understand i cant get as good bokeh on the 18-135mm compared to the nikon 35mm prime lens or course. i like taking pics of people with blurry backgrounds

if u guys were in my ppredicament, do u have a preference? i know its up to me but i was just curius if u were in my position. there expensive cameras !

I've been following the thread and I will put this comment here. I got the T4i with the kit lens of 18-135 STM.
I've been taking pictures trying it out. I have a point and shoot so I'm new to the SLR world.
One thing I don't like about the T4i is it doesn't have a dedicated AF beam but rather uses the flash for AF help.
Also I got the 70-300 F4-5.6 lens and use it for birding.
Some of the pictures are not as sharp as I thought they should be *but* it could be an interface issue!
Me....(grins)

Anyway I'm trying to learn things.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I've been following the thread and I will put this comment here. I got the T4i with the kit lens of 18-135 STM.
I've been taking pictures trying it out. I have a point and shoot so I'm new to the SLR world.
One thing I don't like about the T4i is it doesn't have a dedicated AF beam but rather uses the flash for AF help.
Also I got the 70-300 F4-5.6 lens and use it for birding.
Some of the pictures are not as sharp as I thought they should be *but* it could be an interface issue!
Me....(grins)

Anyway I'm trying to learn things.

thanks for your comment! i assume your mean an af beam like an auto focusing assist light for low light situations?

i know the nikon d5200 has that. and the t4i doesnt but uses the flash to auto focus, which can be anoying ive read to take picture as it makes it seem like to your subjects that was the picture

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
thanks for your comment! i assume your mean an af beam like an auto focusing assist light for low light situations?

Yes that is what I mean.....here is a quote I snipped from a photo site that explains what Im talking about..;

(Something extremely annoying about most Canon SLRs is that they instead use multiple bursts of the flash to help focus in the dark. Have you any idea how annoying it is to try to photograph and have your flash fire off ten bursts in the dark at someone as the camera attempts to focus? Not acceptable. ) end quote

In the store I liked the feel of the T4i much better than the D5200 and that is what swayed me towards it. Couldn't remember if you had read this.
Or you could wait until June for the T5.....gosh I wonder what the specs will be?

Last edited:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
You think that's expensive? The corresponding lens from Canon and Nikon cost $1500 ;)

But there is a cheaper Sigma lens for crop sensors, the 30 mm f/1.4 which sets you back less than $300. (The linked version is still the old model which I happen to own.)

that sigma one you linked me is on sale for 289 which is more affordable :p

is it better the the nikon 35mm 1.8g ?

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
In some respects, yes, in others, no. It is faster than the Nikon and is more sturdily built (which is good), but optically, the Nikon is better, and the Nikon is also cheaper.

thanks for the tips, looks like the nikon 35mm is the way to go.

i noticed the nikon 50mm 1.8 is on the same price range, my concern was because its a crop sensor the 50mm will be more like a 75mm or something. do you think that would be to tight FOV? such as taking pictures at parties indoors and would the quality be better on it?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
i noticed the nikon 50mm 1.8 is on the same price range, my concern was because its a crop sensor the 50mm will be more like a 75mm or something. do you think that would be to tight FOV? such as taking pictures at parties indoors and would the quality be better on it?
Yes, 50 mm will definitely be too tight for these uses (I also own a 50 mm Nikkor). To be honest, I'd even prefer a fast 35 mm equivalent, but 30 mm is the best I was able to get.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Yes, 50 mm will definitely be too tight for these uses (I also own a 50 mm Nikkor). To be honest, I'd even prefer a fast 35 mm equivalent, but 30 mm is the best I was able to get.

what do you think of the nikon 28mm 1.8g? more expensive but not to insanely expensive....i dont think lol

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2203/AF-S-NIKKOR-28mm-f%2F1.8G.html#!

would it produce better bokeh and sharper/better quality pictures? i suppose ona crop sensor it would be like 30-40mm or somewhere inbetween lol

i appreciate your help man! :)

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
So have you decided on the Nikon DSLR?
Which one, if I may ask?

bought both, kept the d5200.

reasons:

-had d5100 for almost a year before i sold it to puttowards something new so i was really use to th e menu system, buttons etc
-i wanted something more "new" and it seemed this year nikon offered more newer specs then the canon. for example there new big 24mp toshiba sensor, whil the t4i still uses the same sensor as the t2i
-sick auto focusing system
-body felt more rigid and less plasticy then the t4i
-already invested in one lens but i could have easily sold it on kijij as i got many offers to break even
-smaller body

prob other few reasons i cant remember

i liked the t4i, touch screen was sick, made in japan and better curves, like the design, screen flowedwith the body

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
bought both, kept the d5200.

reasons:

-had d5100 for almost a year before i sold it to puttowards something new so i was really use to th e menu system, buttons etc
-i wanted something more "new" and it seemed this year nikon offered more newer specs then the canon. for example there new big 24mp toshiba sensor, whil the t4i still uses the same sensor as the t2i
-sick auto focusing system
-body felt more rigid and less plasticy then the t4i
-already invested in one lens but i could have easily sold it on kijij as i got many offers to break even
-smaller body

prob other few reasons i cant remember

i liked the t4i, touch screen was sick, made in japan and better curves, like the design, screen flowedwith the body

Thank you for sharing this @Chuck-Norris....

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
what do you think of the nikon 28mm 1.8g? more expensive but not to insanely expensive....i dont think lol

http://en.nikon.ca/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2203/AF-S-NIKKOR-28mm-f%2F1.8G.html#!

would it produce better bokeh and sharper/better quality pictures? i suppose ona crop sensor it would be like 30-40mm or somewhere inbetween lol
I don't think it's worth spending the extra $400-$500 compared to the Sigma. I'd decide between the 35 mm f/1.8 Nikkor or the 30 mm f/1.4 Sigma.

NeverhadaPC

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2008
I got the Canon T4i with the 40mm/f2.8 pancake (STM) lens [paid, after selling printer and paper, $530 for body+lens]. It's my first DSLR so I cannot compare lenses or to Nikon, but I utilized my PowerShow S5 IS to its limit over 5 years until it got a scratch in lens [toddlers!]. I also bought a 3rd party flash and have a decent tri-pod.

I am very happy with my setup but miss the flexibility of the S5 IS --- macro/super-macro/zoom/IS. I will buy glass as time go but am too picky to settle for EF-S series of lenses...

I don't shoot in auto as I find it useless in non-ideal lighting conditions, not to mention the horrible flash-focus for indoor/night shots. Having an external flash helps, but auto-focus is still poor imo --- often having trouble getting faces in focus. If shoot auto, I would not recommend a DSLR, get Canon Powershot... should be enough and a lot cheaper.

The 40mm is great for general photography (portraits, scenes, indoor), but I really miss the IS and my next lens (70-300?) will definite have IS. In hindsight, I wish I had opted for a 35mm f/1.4 or so, to give me an indoor advantage... however, for the price I paid, I am VERY HAPPY with my lens.

I was also disappointed that Canon did not update their sensor, which is the same on used in T2i and 5D (if I am correct) --- it's over 2 years old!!! UNACCEPTABLE, however, I knew this before I bought my camera and did not bother me. It's good enough for me.

Overall. I am happy. My friends with Nikon's are also happy. There is not wrong choice... as long as you understand what you are buying.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I think none of these points is important -- with the exception of how the camera feels in your hand and how natural the interface seems to you. You can safely disregard the megapixel advantage of the Nikon and the articulated touchscreen of the Canon (with a touch screen, I have to take your eyes off the viewfinder).

However, you have made some rather weird lens choices: the 18-135 mm will be nothing like a 35 mm prime. In particular, if you want to isolate people from the background, going with the 18-135 mm would be a mistake, although one you can easily fix with another lens purchase. In addition, there is a Canon 35 mm f/2 prime, they have just released an updated one with image stabilization. Furthermore, Sigma has also announced a newly designed 30 mm f/1.4 prime which is available for both, Nikon and Canon mounts.

Ideally, I would disregard your choice of lens and focus on which body feels better in your hand. If you're agnostic in terms of user interface, I'd go for the Nikon since it has a much better autofocus system.

Good advise, but reality what's more important is the way the OP feels about his camera and lenses, not how any of us may feel like about his choices.

kelhardy80

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
D5200 Nikon - my opinion

In my opinion, if you already have a Nikon lens it is best to go with the D5200. But you have to bear in mind that this DSLR won't accommodate third party lenses. I have read several great reviews of this product and I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I have written a comparison of the Nikon D5200 with other rivals and alternatives (including the T4i), and also made some recommendations on the kind of lenses that would be great with this DSLR, based on actual user reviews. You can check them out at http://ceejay1980.hubpages.com/hub/Nikon-D5200-price-and-review
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.