Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you noticed a -significant- improvement in Siri?

• Yes, significant

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • A small improvement

Votes: 37 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 44 43.1%

• Total voters

John55455

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
When I first got my 4S I just played with Siri for the first week. It was nice but the load times were too slow and it would only understand me 70% of the time.

And then the other night I felt like using Siri to set and alarm and I was surprised how good Siri was. Siri instant gave a response (only 3 bars), and then I tried a few other things and Siri understood me every single time.

I think I'm going to have to start using Siri more. Setting a clock with Siri is much easier, and "note this" or "remind me this" is cool too.

Have you guys noticed an improvement in Siri? Or is it just me? Is Apple using our voices to improve Siri?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I've been using it daily for over a year. I don't type anymore. If it wasn't for Siri I don't think I would have an iPhone.

Mellisaray

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
When I first got my 4S I just played with Siri for the first week. It was nice but the load times were too slow and it would only understand me 70% of the time.

And then the other night I felt like using Siri to set and alarm and I was surprised how good Siri was. Siri instant gave a response (only 3 bars), and then I tried a few other things and Siri understood me every single time.

I think I'm going to have to start using Siri more. Setting a clock with Siri is much easier, and "note this" or "remind me this" is cool too.

Have you guys noticed an improvement in Siri? Or is it just me? Is Apple using our voices to improve Siri?

it is quite good to use, but i haven't concerned about its improvement.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I think Siri sucks. Slow load times, and inaccurate voice recognition. I tell it to "call Jonna Poole" and it says. "Ok. Calling John Powell". Very frustrating.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wait for the day Siri is able to adapt to everyone's voice and it will be fine.

Improve the load times too, Apple.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I forgot Siri even existed. The first day or two someone gets a new device they can't stop playing around with Siri, but once the novelty wears of, I would say 80%+ never use it again for any serious task.

I find it hard to believe someone can completely replace use of the keyboard with Siri like some people here claim they have done.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
4S Marketing Ploy! 4S Marketing Ploy!!!

A product still in beta 1.5 years after it launched as the major marketing selling point for the 4S.

Really bad, apple.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It gets maybe one in twenty things I ask it correct.

Useless. Useless to the point where, if I ask it to play a song, it often tries to ring someone instead.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
This thread is a great representation of the rule that people go to the Internet to gripe, cuz I've had no problems with Siri. Far more "it sucks" posts than "works fine for me".

Count me in the latter group. Siri is dead-on when I create reminders, query for unit conversions or reply to an occasional text/create an email. Snappy too, no lag on my i5.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
We are glad you have no problems with Siri. But it's not like we are making this stuff up...

Google's voice technology is so far beyond superior to Siri that it's not even in the same star system.

In 2013, it should be better. It just should.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Every now and then I tell her I need to poop to get a laugh but other than that she's useless.

Great concept, poor execution.

Jeff

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
If it was Google Now then yes.

Siri still is in beta, still is slow/unresponsive at times, still can't do that many things, etc.

Apple needs to update it more often.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Siri is good for native features, like reminders, notes, alarms, etc. I won't use it to search the web, too painful. When asked why google now is better at web searches, Sir says, "I'd rather not google now, if you don't mind." It's obviously an area Siri knows it's lacking in.

Last edited:

Baz1205

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
UK
Never use it. In fact the only time I activate it is by accident when I hold the home button down for too long :) Happened the other day when I was in the hospital. Somebody shouted out "ask it how long we're going to have to wait" :D

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I was born in Indonesia, went to an American international school, with lots of British teachers...moved to Australia at the age of 10, lived there for 11 years with friends most of whom are south african... and now for the past few years living in Vancouver Canada, with an American girlfriend.

siri has a very hard time with my accent

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Google's voice technology is so far beyond superior to Siri that it's not even in the same star system.

In 2013, it should be better. It just should.
I agree! If only we could use Google Voice for texting and making appointments, but as of right now it's only good for searches.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
No, Siri still sucks for most things. Same with dictation. I think it's actually become worse over the past 6-8 months.

Waate

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
At first I did the whole 'novelty' thing asking Siri questions like 'tell me a joke' and that wore off really quick BUT now I use Siri EVERYDAY! She organizes my schedule, sets timers, opens apps, takes notes, finds vids on YouTube, plays my music, sends my wife texts for me, and finds business' phone numbers and then calls them for me! She is very accurate now. I would say around 90% most of the time which is better than most people I talk to. They often mishear or misunderstand me too. I love Siri and use her all the time. Very useful now. Like someone else said here Siri is one of the main reasons I have an iphone. I haven't seen an android app that compares in voice recognition AND integratabiliy. ##

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
It's usable, but only for play music, set up alarms, ask something related to wolfram alpha etc.

The dictation function is basically crap for more than one sentence... I tho use it sometimes^^ dunno why I still put hope in it haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.