Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Many people do not purchase all their books through Amazon (i.e. Amazon is not aware of all the ebooks I have).

Don't you keep copies of those somewhere other than your ios devices?

----------

Not to mention you will have lost your place plus bookmarks plus any notes you made.

You don't lose your place. At least, I would not, since my place in the book is also saved in the Cloud, automatically. One of the benefits of Kindle software is that I can switch between reading the same book on my Kindle, iPad, iPhone, laptop, whatever, without losing my place.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I notice it does not show the cloud books how far they have been read. that would let me sort the old from the new.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Don't you keep copies of those somewhere other than your ios devices?

I do so it's no problem for me. Unfortunately, many informed people do not bother keeping copies or even backing up their computer / data. I put the blame on these people if they lost stuff due to the Kindle app update but it doesn't change the fact that some people lost items they purchased elsewhere.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
When I purchase books from other sources, I email them to my Kindle device and as far as I can tell, they wind up in my cloud. Not that you can trust anything in the cloud today will be in the cloud tomorrow.

RobDee

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
Apple should always keep the previous version of an app available to revert to in case there's problems with an update.

This would be TRIVIAL to implement. Why the hell don't they?

Also, keeping previous versions of an app available when the app obsoletes a class of devices would be good too. I know of people using iPhone 3G who have lost some apps because they can't install newer versions after their device was wiped.

Hear hear. My 3G was borked similarly for iBooks and Kindle. Extremely annoying. Guess I should report this to Apple.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
In the future you guys should really send your mobi books directly to the document archive on Amazon, either by using your kindle email or the Send to Kindle application. There isn't a lot of point in keeping them locally on your device when Amazon give you 5 GB of storage for free.

That means the books will be available and synced on all your devices as well.

LSK6453

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
Nice one Amazon!

Luckily for me, I updated all my apps on the weekend and missed this I think (I usually only update once a month or so).
This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the Amazon ecosystem.

Apple should support a "retract update" capability that would allow developers to instantly pull an update and revert to the previous version. This would be good for customers when developers royally screw up like this.

----------

It seems possible -- very likely actually -- that the deletion occurs when you first launch. So try to avoid launching until the next update is available.

I update to the new version and everything was there, so it was probably at launch that it happened and I had not launched the app

LSK6453

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
In the future you guys should really send your mobi books directly to the document archive on Amazon, either by using your kindle email or the Send to Kindle application. There isn't a lot of point in keeping them locally on your device when Amazon give you 5 GB of storage for free.

That means the books will be available and synced on all your devices as well.

I did not know that you could do this. Thanks! I have been trying to redownload all of my .mobi files to put on the cloud, but cannot find a handful. The rest are out there, never to be lost again.

thank you

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Thats a web browser not an OS, same thing happens with Android and Win8 Phones when you update an app. Thats what I was referring to.

We're talking about apps, like the Kindle app, not OS versions (at least I can only assume that's what the OP meant since they called the lack of old version reversion a "problem" and this story is about the Kindle app problem, not iOS itself).

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
What's actually happened (and this happened to my Dad) is that it's registered your IPad as a new device in the Manage my Kindle page on their website. So all of the settings (like auto-download, delivery email address etc) apply to Ipad 1 (say).

But your iPad is now Ipad 2, so none of the settings apply...

Not sure if the updated version will fix this if you've already gone through it...

If it doesn't then you'll have to log in to Manage my Kindle, note the old Kindle delivery address, delete the old iPad, rename iPad 2 to iPad, amend it's delivery address....

That will restore your auto-download settings.

No comment on stuff you've sideloaded or opened from an email/dropbox/etc

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Yep....but I'm guessing you don't get your bookmarks and other info such as that back.
Or your custom folders or any books you didn't buy from Amazon, like eBooks, documents, free samples etc.

Plus, if you have larger libraries, do you even remember which books you purchased? AFAIK, Amazon doesn't have a "purchased" list...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.