Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applefanboy8153

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
Some reasons many of my Indian friends (from upper-middle class to pretty rich people) mentioned:
1. Can't use it as USB.
2. Can't use Bluetooth to transfer files.
3. It's too costly, I can buy two laptops for price of one iPhone.
4. Too many software issues.
5. iPhone 4 is better than iPhone 4S.
6. Android is best, Apple copies everything from Samsung.
7. Google and Samsung are doing a great and virtuous thing by providing all the features in iPhone at very low cost, even in $100 model I get all features.
8. BlackBerry was high-class, a few still believe it and it's available now around $150.
9. Pre-paid Market and lots of low cost models available.
10. iPhone's are too delicate.
11. All iPhone's look same.
12. The cellular internet coverage apart from cities you can count with one hand is still stuck at 2G and the costs are very high. Just for small comparison a monthly mobile bill (1000 sms, 200 MB 2G data, 1000 call mins per month free scheme) may be less than $ 10 and for 3G or BlackBerry services you may have to pay more than $ 50 per month.

I can go on, but in general I found apart from very few people (considering the Indian Population size) many are less aware and have lots of misconceptions about Apple.

Very funny Samsung copies the crap out if iphones. It is always apple which sets the industry standard such as right now they want to eliminate the optical drive. And the industry copies these innovations in the most imperfect manner. I live in india and you dont get 2 laptops dor the price of an iphone.
Every1 in my family has a mac and they love it. It is totally worth the experience.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Apple doesn't dominate well in certain countries. Their PR must suck in South Korea due to their lose-lose lawsuits.

----------

That's hard to believe, but then again, I guess butt-ugly Priuses and Hummers are fairly popular.

It's not the PR.
It's because us Asians are actually pretty darn racist/nationalist.

In Korea, you buy Korean because of national pride. That's basically it. Years of being shadowed by both China and Japan makes Koreans try to cheer themselves on a little bit harder than usual/legal. (chaebol bribery, etc)

kvk

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
It's the person who runs a tea-stall,a cup of tea generally costs around 20 cents.They are considered low-class people.

yeah lol.

NOPES-see above.Servant is 'naukar'-Hindi class going on here folks :D

Low-Class People??? Hmmm what does that mean anyway? Low Class people? Chaiwala is simply a person who earns his living making tea in stall or on road side. What has that to do with class and once again what is Low Class?

kvk

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Apple In India

The only way for Apple to win over one of the biggest markets, India, is to open up stores in here. Give away their products on installments, interest free. Unfortunately the subsidized business module does not work in India. More Ads to spread awareness. They can also introduce lower cost devices with low cost materials. The low cost devices can be given a different name to maintain the snob value of the actual Apple devices sold world over. The fact that India is more of a "Volume Market" more than "Price Market" Apple can even sell products at lower prices hoping for volumes to compensate for the loss and it will.

zosokm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
I live in India. For a long time I thought Apple products were not worth the price. I used to by assembled PC's like most people here do . Within 4 years, I had changed the hard drive once, wiped out the hard drive twice (due to viruses- even with antivirus software), replaced my CD rom drive - because the tray broke. I bought a wireless keyboard and extra speakers. Over the years I had spent almost twice the original cost of the PC (as I added RAM and changed every conceivable part of the machine). I bought an iMAC desktop 2 years ago and havent looked back since. No crashes- upgraded to mountain lion easily. No need for additional RAM. I think the extra money was worth it. Now that I also have an iphone it integrates very well. I make my presentations on keynote and then it automatically backs up via icloud to my ipad. I stopped carrying a laptop when I travel or when I give talks. The experience is worth it, the integration is superb.

A lot of people have misconceptions about apple products here- I hear a lot of people say that you cant watch movies (unless they are in mp4 format for example).Thats true to an extent but there are so many third party apps that it really doesnt make a difference. I have itunes for my purchased music and imediaplayer for music from computer which can wireless sync to my phone (without using itunes)

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I believe you are the person that proved apple just works theory.
definitely it is good devices that the company produces, yet for some
folks. It is high price to get an iphone, if using just single device.
On side note what makes you with ipad to connect to internet, what company
airtel, Vodafone etc ?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
this is disturbing someone wrote on internet 'People in India die because they can't afford $20 dollar antibiotics and Apple wants to sell them silly techno- hippie gadgets that cost $500 a piece ?'

That's just a zinger by a politician wannabe. The people in need of $20 antibiotics won't be lining up for the iPhone; nor would the people spending $500 on the phone scrounge their couches for antibiotic change. A billion people come in all stripes, sizes and financial situations each.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Low-Class People??? Hmmm what does that mean anyway? Low Class people? Chaiwala is simply a person who earns his living making tea in stall or on road side. What has that to do with class and once again what is Low Class?

Dude dont single out on me-I was just replying to a post above--and if you are indian--you very well know the class divisions there.

They are considered low-class,there is a lot of distinction in India on jobs,small petty jobs and middle class ones-I wont act a saint and say I dont believe in all this-face up to the reality.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
It's not the PR.
It's because us Asians are actually pretty darn racist/nationalist.

In Korea, you buy Korean because of national pride. That's basically it. Years of being shadowed by both China and Japan makes Koreans try to cheer themselves on a little bit harder than usual/legal. (chaebol bribery, etc)

That kinda goes with the lawsuits. Do Koreans feel offended whenever Apple sues a Korean company? I know the Cisco (American) v Huawei (Chinese) case made the Chinese feel like America was being a bully when in fact Huawei had directly stolen Cisco's router programming in binary code.

----------

I'd assume they don't make very much money => low-class.

lildimsum7

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
The entire India demographic is not tech savvy. There are bound to be some Mom's and Pop's who just want an easier to understand smartphone to use like the iPhone.

but most Indians are, even the older ones. although I do know some Indians who bought the iPhone 4s when that came out because the jailbreak scene was still active.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
That kinda goes with the lawsuits. Do Koreans feel offended whenever Apple sues a Korean company? I know the Cisco (American) v Huawei (Chinese) case made the Chinese feel like America was being a bully when in fact Huawei had directly stolen Cisco's router programming in binary code.

----------

I'd assume they don't make very much money => low-class.

I'd assume that the general public out there would probably have the same feeling you described. (I'm Chinese in the US, but have many Korean and Japanese friends)

China's pretty much an international superpower on its own due to its sheer size and the world's manufacturing dependency.

Japan's pretty much an international superpower on its own due to the tech research being done there. It's also a wide exporter of its culture.

Korea, historically, had none of this. Korea was always being fought over, bullied about by both Chinese, Japanese, or whomever was the conqueror du jour. As a result, Koreans in general feel that, internationally, they're regarded as inferior to their neighbors. Centuries of this, plus that Americans divided up Korea, make for a pretty strong national Napoleon complex on the economic front.

It's funny to me because the Samsung vs Apple thing has become a point of national pride because Apple is doing better than Sony. And therefore beating both the Americans and Japanese at something makes them feel really good about themselves.

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Very funny Samsung copies the crap out if iphones. It is always apple which sets the industry standard such as right now they want to eliminate the optical drive. And the industry copies these innovations in the most imperfect manner. I live in india and you dont get 2 laptops dor the price of an iphone.
Every1 in my family has a mac and they love it. It is totally worth the experience.

i never said these are the reasons.. i said these are the reasons given to me by my Indian friends.. they all may not be true, i also mentioned in my post about less awareness and many misconceptions people have about Apple..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.