Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lightey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I bought an iPad 3 early last year, and I now feel like by the time iOS 8 comes out, Apple will force me to upgrade or I will stop getting software updates. This is completely frustrating and annoying.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Why not wait and see?

If you're that worried sell your 3 and get a 4. Or sell your 3 and get a 5 when it comes out.

I just did the former about a week and a half ago and paid minimal

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I doubt they would drop the iPad3 from IOS 8. All they would do is withhold some features. I currently have the iPad2/iPad3 and i'm quiet content except for the weight differnce between the 2 iPads.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I bought an iPad 3 early last year, and I now feel like by the time iOS 8 comes out, Apple will force me to upgrade or I will stop getting software updates. This is completely frustrating and annoying.

Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen over a year from now.

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
How on earth can you be frustrated by some thing that may or may not happen in 2015?????
The sense of entitlement from some users on this forum staggers me :mad:

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I'd be more concerned about the looming obsolescence of your iMac 21.5", 2.7 GHz i5, 12GB RAM, 1TB HD; MacBook Pro 13", 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD; iPad 3rd Generation - 64GB Verizon (Black); iPhone 5 - 32GB AT&T (Black); Apple TV - 3rd Generation.

:rolleyes:

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I bought an iPad 4 and live in terror of iOS 9. I know it's coming. I feel marginalized, nauseous even.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I'm sick to death of my iPhone 5. I know when iOS 10 comes out, it will be nothing more than a glorified paperweight.
:mad:

Non-Euclidean

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
i'd be more concerned about the looming obsolescence of your imac 21.5", 2.7 ghz i5, 12gb ram, 1tb hd; macbook pro 13", 2.4 ghz c2d, 4gb ram, 250gb hd; ipad 3rd generation - 64gb verizon (black); iphone 5 - 32gb at&t (black); apple tv - 3rd generation.

:rolleyes:

lol

The answer is simple. Sell all your possessions, become a hermit in a cave, and technological obsolescence will never bother you again.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
How on earth can you be frustrated by some thing that may or may not happen in 2015?????

If one purchases an iPad from Apple, I wouldn't characterize it as a "sense of entitlement" to expect an update. This expression is overused and inappropriate for this siutation. He didn't buy the iPad with food stamps. He's a paying customer.

That being said, it may not be realistic at this point that the iPad 3 will get iOS 8. I think iOS 7 is a given though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still have my iPad 1, while I'm not using it (as my iPad mini has replaced it), my kids are using it. My wife still uses her iPad 1 as well.

My point, my first generation iPads are going strong, you're not being forced, we have no idea what iOS 7 will even look like, never mind iOS8 so don't worry what the future will present. You're iPad 3 is going strong now, so it will be fine in the foreseeable future.

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
The iPad 3 & 4 are so similar it is hard to believe any OS update to the iPad 4 won't also apply to the iPad 3.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I have an iPAD 1. The original. They don't even make good apps for me anymore. Most require an iPad 2 or higher Hows that for forced to upgrade.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Apple will force me to upgrade

Apple can be a bully sometimes.

Last year 2 men wearing black turtlenecks barged into my house at 3 in the morning while I was sound asleep and told me my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 would no longer be receiving future updates and forced me to log onto http://www.apple.com and purchase the newer iPhone 5 and iPad mini, against my will they made me order the 32 GB models because they felt 16GB wouldn't be enough for my needs and thought I would be happier with a larger capacity device.

My order was set for standard shipping but terrified at their demands I opted for the 2 day shipping (since it wasn't that much more) and forced me to confirm my order. I was so horrified at what had just happened I called my friend all excited, i mean terrified, to let him know that soon my packages would be arriving.

That night I was left in great fear that for 2 nights I could not sleep, I could have been traumatized or just excited about to get my package, till this day I still do not know (even though since I got my iPhone 5 I have been sleeping just fine every night)

That night as they 2 men were leaving my house, one man turned around an said "if you never want this to happen again, you better upgrade to every new model device Apple release or we will come back"

So I vowed then and there that I will upgrade every year to avoid any iOS software update issues.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Gawd, talk about 1st world problems - I still have a iPad 1st Gen, still does everything that it could when I first bought it and more with OS updates I have received after I purchased it. It gets used every single day. My iPhone was bought mid 2009 and funnily enough that still does everything and more since I bought it as well.

----------

I have an iPAD 1. The original. They don't even make good apps for me anymore. Most require an iPad 2 or higher Hows that for forced to upgrade.

Not true, only minority of Apps require iPad 2 or later - out of the current 10 best selling paid iPad Apps in the UK App Store today only 1 could not run on the iPad 1, which is iMovie.

It's funny 1/2 the people on this forum complain that Apple is not innovating enough, and the other half complain when they do, because their tech is not the latest and greatest.

Last edited:

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

Just curious, but have you checked out any other tablet (or phone) manufacturers? I'd say they're even worse than Apple is.

Clint

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
If one purchases an iPad from Apple, I wouldn't characterize it as a "sense of entitlement" to expect an update. This expression is overused and inappropriate for this siutation. He didn't buy the iPad with food stamps. He's a paying customer.

That being said, it may not be realistic at this point that the iPad 3 will get iOS 8. I think iOS 7 is a given though.

He bought an iPad carrying an operating system. That OS will still be available to him, and by the time iPad 3 becomes "obsolete" it will have been updated several times. Nobody forces anyone to update their apps or the operating system of any device. If iOS incarnations weren't numbered but had names (iVista, iXP) this wouldn't seem so unfair.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
So what youre saying is that Apple shouldnt upgrade products until you say its OK? Little selfish dont you think?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
He bought an iPad carrying an operating system. That OS will still be available to him, and by the time iPad 3 becomes "obsolete" it will have been updated several times. Nobody forces anyone to update their apps or the operating system of any device. If iOS incarnations weren't numbered but had names (iVista, iXP) this wouldn't seem so unfair.

Except windows upgrades are largely available to anyone who bought a computer in the last 10 years. Anybody with a pentium 3 and Half a gig of ram can install windows 7 and and a slightly smaller number of people can install windows 8. I see your point and I mostly agree with it but that probably wasn't the best comparison in my opinion.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

The only entity forcing you is yourself. You're talking about normal EOL (end of life) stuff for a device. What did you expect when you bought it, support for the next 10 years?

The iPad 3 & 4 are so similar it is hard to believe any OS update to the iPad 4 won't also apply to the iPad 3.

The iPad 3 and 4 are not so similar as that.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Stop worrying about things that may or may not happen over a year from now.

Agreed

I wouldn't call it a sense of entitlement, more along the lines of "just looking for something to complain about."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.