Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Love all the tin foil hats people are wearing. This stuff happens all the time. And by this stuff - I don't mean what's being implied on this thread. I mean hiring EXPERTS as consultants.

Yeah a lot of gullible people thinking the judge was paid off by Samsung. He probably wanted to retired and got a good offer from Samsung because of his expertise in patent law. I think any normal person would probably do exactly what this judge did if the money was good. Anything to get people upset and page counts. Enough is enough. Social media is the new Enquirer. :)

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
case after Apple complied with the initial court order but in a rather playful manner, quoting judge Colin Birss's earlier comment that the Galaxy Tab was "not as cool" as the iPad. Sir Robin was unamused, and ordered Apple to change the notice,

This is false, Apple was not orderder to change the notice for quoting Judge Blirss, they were forced to change it for making false claims.

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
makes you wonder if samsung had reached out to this person prior. it would be rather scandalous if so

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
makes you wonder if samsung had reached out to this person prior. it would be rather scandalous if so

Well let's put it another way. Let's assume for a second the judge was in cahoots with Samsung. And their relationship exposed. What do you think that does to a man and his reputation and career.

Ok - now how does that also play out for Samsung when it comes time for their next court case which this judge was their expert advisor.

Until someone has any factual evidence - I stand by my original comment. A lot of tin foil hats in here.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
This is not surprising since samsung has a history rich in corruption, dirty dealings, and other corporate scandals.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Why would Samsung want to copy an already out of date screen size and OS? They have a very good thing going with the screen sizes they offer and whether you like it or not Android is a very capable OS. I think you're taking this a little to personal
So, a screen size can be outdated? Interesting. Oh, you mean like 17" laptops. :rolleyes:

Then by all means buy 8" phones, so the majority can have ones that actually fit in their pocket again.

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
And exactly where it is the corruption, the dirty deal or the corporate scandal?

Anything to back this or it is only libel?

Nothing at all... but is there anything to backup that this UK judge has done anything wrong? Why is this even a story here.

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Better a former judge be a consultant than a former consultant be a judge.

Actually, I'd easily prefer the latter. If judges knew they could earn significant income later on from the companies they ruled on, that would give them incentive to rule in their future best interests, perhaps even make every trial a sort of audition.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Are there any other high profile examples you can share?

No. I don't off hand. I'll do some poking around for internet evidence later. I just know of friends and/or family who are in the legal profession and have shared stories. Anecdotal evidence isn't enough so I'll try and get some links later.

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
If he was simply a judge that preceded over a ruling by a jury it would be simply smart business to work for a company for patents as he is an expert. However, he ruled in a case and called it a "lack of integrity" on Apples PR. To work for a company who you just ruled in favour of is a "lack of integrity".

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Blatant conflict of interest. Inexcusable. It seems large chunks of the UK legal system are for sale, from police selling stories about ongoing cases to judges taking lucrative contracts from past defendants. Outrageous. :mad:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
wow, that is a shocker. I wonder if samsung approach him after the ruling.... or maybe not.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Slaves don't get paid.

Chinese people work as many hours as they want to make as much money as they need/want, they can walk away from it.

No. Not all slaves worked for free. If you want to be factually correct.

The point wasn't semantic until you made it one. The point the OP was making was about the incongruous statements that imply Apple is squeaky clean (when they are most definitely not) vs Samsung who is "only" corrupt and couldn't possibly act above board.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Where's Judge Dredd when you need him?

Judge-Dredd_1920x1200.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.