Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I am transfering data to my Synology and it is really slow, less than a TB of data is taking more than 5 days....Did I mess something up. My synology is connected to my router via ethernet cable, and my mac is coping data from a USB external hard drive....Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Could something be wrong on the setup?

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
That sounds unusually slow.

Router brand is a? What are you copying from / to? WiFi? GigE?

The router brand is my 2WIRE UVERSE.

This seems to be moving faster now. Power died in my house so I needed to restart the data transfer. I switched the PC to Gbe and then switched the drive to firewire 800. Stuff is faster now. I will tell you that when i browse shares its coming up slow, however I think that is due to the 7 data transfers. The whole cpu is pegged on this. Rethinking the ds212 decision might have been worth the plus.

Thanks,

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Your router is the likely bottleneck. I can find no specs on it and assume it's the bog standard AT&T supplied device.

If it's a Homeportal 3000 then it's old & slow. 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11g both ancient.

Your DS212 has GigE Ethernet, your router probably doesn't. Any recent Mac will have GigE and 802.11n

If you can set your 2Wire Uverse to bridge mode and buy a modern router you'll see a large increase in throughput.

I have a DS212j (economy) and it's not slow at all.

freejazz-man

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
it's not the router - it's the switch in the back of the router

you can improve the cables, but it might not really be those either

I have two synologies with LAG interfaces in a gigabit switch and I don't get more than 60 MB/S

you can get a small/cheaper switch, you don't need to replace your router. just

Non-Euclidean

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2012
Houston, TX
I have a 2Wire 3801GHV or something router (AT&T Uverse), and a Synology NAS (212J ((Yeah, I should have gotten more bays :( ))). The $#!@$@#$ router is only 10/100, not Gigabyte. As a result, I rarely see transfer rates exceed 11 MB/sec, either from my Mac Mini or my W7 PC.

I have been researching, and been told that if I plug in a Gigabyte switch I can get higher transfer rates. Either that, or I need a new router.

I think all that is involved is Gigabyte switch into back of router, then all the devices that were (hard) wired into the router get moved to the Switch, then they can play with each other at higher speeds.

Oh, and the right cables also, you won't see really high speeds without the correct cables, but others know more that me about that.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
actually i believe the bottle neck is the hard drive themselves. no giga router or switch or cat 6 wires are going to go any faster.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Is it your initial data transfer that's slow? If the unit is still doing its initial parity check after volume creation, that would make it quite sluggish. That said, I also have a uVerse modem/router and found the local speeds unbearable. I'm using an Airport Extreme has the connection that my entire internal network uses. Gigabit speeds rock..my DS411+II is getting up to 125MB read speeds :D

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Is it your initial data transfer that's slow? If the unit is still doing its initial parity check after volume creation, that would make it quite sluggish. That said, I also have a uVerse modem/router and found the local speeds unbearable. I'm using an Airport Extreme has the connection that my entire internal network uses. Gigabit speeds rock..my DS411+II is getting up to 125MB read speeds :D

Yeah guys I am thinking switching to Airport Extreme. Thanks for advise. Too bad it doesnt have USB3

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Yeah guys I am thinking switching to Airport Extreme. Thanks for advise. Too bad it doesnt have USB3

Erm, the Airport devices don't have USB3 for good reason...you wouldn't be able to use the speed USB3 does...

• USB 3: 5 Gigbit/s max (ie. ~5000 Mbit/s, or ~500 MByte/s, or ~0.5 GByte/s).

• GigEthernet: 1 Gigabit max (ie. ~1000 Mbit/s, or ~100 MByte/s, or ~0.1 GByte/s).
That's via a wired Cat.5 cabled GigEthernet (ie. not Wifi) connection to your Mac, and you normally see only around 60-80% of the "max" speeds in reality, due to overhead.

Hence, GigEthernet connection is just one-fifth (20%) of the USB3 speed, at best.

Until we see "10GigEthernet" connections on our Macs (using Cat.6 ethernet cables), then USB3 (or Thunderbolt for that matter!) is likely not gonna happen in the Apple Airport devices, or most others.

When that's gonna happen, is anyone's guess?

Last edited:

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Until we see "10GigEthernet" connections on our Macs (using Cat.6 ethernet cables), then USB3 (or Thunderbolt for that matter!) is likely not gonna happen in the Apple Airport devices, or most others.

When that's gonna happen, is anyone's guess?

I don't know, but advice to anyone getting their house wired: pay the premium and get cat6 cable put in, not cat5e! Ub 10 years you don't want to have to pay for this **** all over again!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have the DS 212J and the 112J. They both work fine and I don't see any problems with transfer speed. My ethernet is all gigabit. My wireless is handled by 2 d-link access points at opposite corners of the house. My router is an AEBS (older generation). I have an Apple TC (first gen) but I use it exclusively for TM backups and I never rely on it as my only backup.

The up side of the DS212 is low power consumption. The down side is its ARM processor and (relatively) slow speed (compared to Synology's much more expensive Intel based units). It's a more than fast enough NAS drive when used with gigabit ethernet.

hope this helps...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am transfering data to my Synology and it is really slow, less than a TB of data is taking more than 5 days....Did I mess something up. My synology is connected to my router via ethernet cable, and my mac is coping data from a USB external hard drive....Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Could something be wrong on the setup?
Which Synology NAS do you have exactly? Connected via ethernet cable and a Gigabit Ethernet router, or switch, you should be able to easily achieve around 60 - 90 MB/s. But if you're copying from a USB 2 external drive, then you're only reading at around 35-40 MB/s max, depending on whether you have lots of small files or a few large files (lots of small files will be slower). If your router only supports 100 Mbps, then you will only transfer files at around 10 MB/s. You do not mention whether the Mac is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable as well or if you're connecting via Wifi (I hope not)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Synology released a new version of their OS today that includes huge performance improvements. Their mirrors seem to be down under heavy auto download load at the moment haha, but try installing later and you should notice a good improvement. If not, something is affecting your network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.