Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will You Upgrade iPad Mini to Retina?

• Yes

Votes: 44 77.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 22.8%

• Total voters

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
For current iPad mini users. Do you plan on upgrading to an iPad Mini 2 with retina? I know I will.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
If and when they do come out with an iPad mini with Retina display I will most surely buy one, Already started putting money aside for when that time comes in fact.

I love my current mini and use it more than I ever did my original iPad or iPad 3, so for me I feel I already have gotten my money's worth out of my mini.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
No. Apple could and should put retina in mini in the first place. This is how they are reselling the same product twice.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Nope not until my Mini dies or I can no longer upgrade the ios. Retina is waaaaay over rated. I have it on my iP5 and iPad 4. Not that big of a deal. It seems the only place retina is a real big deal is here on this forum. Most buyers/people in the real world don't care and don't see a difference. Yea I see a difference but it's not a huge make or break difference.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Nope not until my Mini dies or I can no longer upgrade the ios. Retina is waaaaay over rated. I have it on my iP5 and iPad 4. Not that big of a deal. It seems the only place retina is a real big deal is here on this forum. Most buyers/people in the real world don't care and don't see a difference. Yea I see a difference but it's not a huge make or break difference.
Something like this. Retina won't affect what I'm using my iPad Mini for.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Not just for Retina, but if its faster(processor, more ram) I probably would. But not if its thicker like the Retina iPad. I love how thin the mini is.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
When I am using my Mini, I think, "Nah, no need whatsoever to upgrade."

When I am having an eye party with my retina iPad 3, I think, "Oh absolutely, retina will make the Mini perfect."

Add a Not Sure category to the vote :)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Not just for Retina, but if its faster(processor, more ram) I probably would. But not if its thicker like the Retina iPad. I love how thin the mini is.

Because the 1mm difference in thickness between the iPad 2 and 3 is so noticeable. People wouldn't even have noticed if it wasn't on the spec sheet. The only noticeable difference is weight and even that's hardly an issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm a definite maybe. I'm happy with the mini, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy a retina mini.

The reasons are cost, form factor and battery life. Will the retina be priced higher then the current mini? I think the mini is a bit high now, I'm not willing to spend even more. Will it be thicker to hold a larger battery due to the need for higher powered cpu/gpu?

Basically what I'm saying is not knowing how apple will design and market it, plays into my decision to buy it.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I would upgrade, definitely. I havent really been following the latest iPad mini rumors. Is there a speculated announcement or release date for the iPad mini 2?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Would rather not do it this year

and if that means more weight/less battery life, I'll defnitely wait.

I enjoy my mini, granted I am not reading heavily on it but as I've said elsewhere the only time I've really noticed the Retina display is on the 15 rMBPs. If they can keep the weight, battery life and cut the glare, well, perhaps I will upgrade.

But for now, I'm golden.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Every device I have here with me right now (iPad 3, iPhone 5, 5th gen touch, and nexus 4) all have "retina" (for lack of an easier word) class screen and going back to the mini from these devices is very jarring. Not only is it the dpi but the colors as well. The mini looks much more washed out. All that being said I won't be upgrading to a new mini until this one no longer does what I need It to do. Given the fact that it launched with nearly two year old hardware and a paltry 512mb of ram I'm not expecting much more than a year out of it.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011

No for the same reasons. Besides, my eyeballs aren't 20/20 and I wouldn't notice any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.