Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has won the number one slot in Fortune's annual "World's Most Admired Companies" list for the sixth year in a row.

fortune.png
The ranking is based on a large-scale poll of corporate executives, directors, and industry analysts who were asked to rank companies by nine key attributes: Innovation, People management, Use of corporate assets, Social responsibility, Quality of management, Financial soundness, Long-term investment, Quality of products/services and Global competitiveness. Apple scored #1 in all nine categories.
Apple has had a rough time lately with its stock price in a free fall and the widely publicized failure of its Maps feature. However, it remains a financial juggernaut, posting $13 billion in net income last quarter, making it the most profitable company in the world during that period. The company has its fanatical customer base, and it still refuses to compete on price, making the iconic iPhone and iPad products that are still widely seen as prestige devices. Competition may be stiff, but so far it remains behind: In Q4 2012, the iPhone 5 was the world's best selling smartphone, followed in second place by the iPhone 4S.
The announcement is a bit of an embarrassment for Brad Chase, founding partner of Capitol Media Partners, who wrote a Forbes guest post earlier this week predicting that "bumbling" Apple would lose its number one slot and arguing that Fortune would have to "defy logic" to place Apple at the top once again. Confusion between Fortune and Forbes led to Chase's opinion piece being misreported by several media outlets earlier this week as Apple having actually lost its slot in a Forbes ranking.

Article Link: Apple Tops Fortune's 'Most Admired Companies' List For Sixth Year Running

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
egg in face much? Just goes to show these investors know **** about running a company... well other than into the ground.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
The announcement is a bit of an embarrassment for Brad Chase, founding partner of Capitol Media Partners, who wrote a Forbes guest post earlier this week predicting that "bumbling" Apple would lose its number one slot and arguing that Fortune would have to "defy logic" to place Apple at the top once again.
I find it more embarrassing for Fortune, who can't even crack the Top 10 of their own list. :D

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
google could take no 1 with the innovation they have come up lately.

It's easy to innovate when you just create everything that comes to mind and see what sticks. Running a business is also about spending money wisely. I'm sure Apple has had a million ideas that would be considered innovation, but they had the good sense not to waste money on it. Failures like Ping aren't a long list after Jobs came back.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Disney just isn't one of the top places for people to choose for vacation spots anymore. It just doesn't hold the same flare as it use to years back.

I disagree. Being in the Top 10 at all still signifies that it's still got it. It might not have the same flare to you because you aren't a child anymore, but if you still watch kids there, it's freaking magical.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just more evidence that Apple the company and AAPL the stock don't really mirror each other. I know the company I work for (healthcare, fortune 50) often references Apple as a company they want to be compared to.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
google could take no 1 with the innovation they have come up lately.

I don't know, as much as Google are able to come up with innovative products, those products (the physical ones) rarely ever affect our daily lives because they rarely are worth buying, or even possible to buy.

How many people do you know personally who own (or plan to own soon) a Chromebook Pixel? A Nexus Q? A Google TV? Google Fiber? How many plan to buy Google Glass at launch?

Now how many people do you know who use recent Apple products daily? Who buy new ones at launch?

Google mostly make niche products that aren't necessarily bad, but still niche products for a reason or another. Most of their income comes from services, mostly targeted ads with information mined from services like web search, maps, gmail, youtube etc. which haven't significantly evolved recently.

Daze & Confuse

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
You don't see Samsung on that list.

You don't see any non-US companies on that list.....

And any list that puts Coca-Cola and Starbucks in the top 5 most 'admired' companies on the entire planet can't be taken that seriously.

Last edited:

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
Brad Chase, founding partner of Capitol Media Partners goes on about a bumbling apple not being at number one and some how over looks increased profit, increased sales and falls for the Wall Street share drop after Apple exceeded forecasts but ell short of analyst expectations.

Capitol Media Partners provide strategic counsel.

I think Brad just put his foot in his mouth.

Priceless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.