Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StampyJr

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This lifelong Mac user thinks it stinks

I've been using Macs since 1984-seriously (I still have the original in my storage). And iPhoto sucks. It's clunky, crash-prone and painfully slow. The fact that it makes duplicates of the photos is very annoying and now that I've gone through a few Macs with iPhoto, I have many duplicates and it's become a monster. There should be a duplication eliminator function (is there one? I know there's 3rd party apps but I don't trust them). And it touts the fact that you can edit the photo while still hanging on to the original--but where's the original? At the very least, the iPhoto source files should be easily navigable by a human being. And for all of its "sophistication", why do I need to make ANOTHER copy of it to another folder just to upload it? Since I upload photos all of the time for my work, for eBay, Craigslist, etc. there should be a simple way of avoiding this.

Cuthbert J Twil

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Iphoto comes up short . . .

My Mac is older (04-05 Power Mac G5) and one of the worst things I've found with (my version of) iphoto is that it does not have as much information per picture as a photo imported via Photoshop (for instance).

For example, I wanted to make some blow-ups (16" x 20"). I copied the pix I wanted from iphoto to a disk. I took them to the print maker and he said they were too short (not enough data - maybe pixels per inch) to make blow-ups.
This is true of all iphoto pix (at least in my version of iphoto).

So for me, all iphoto was good for was looking at my pix in iphoto. In order to get enough data to make the blow-ups I had to buy "photoshop". I don't even bother with iphoto any longer.

Oh yeah, if you want to see what I'm talking about, load a photo via iphoto and load the same photo via photoshop. Now make an 8x10 using the respective formats. The clarity you'll get from photoshop blows away the iphoto.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I haven't liked the last few major versions of iPhoto. It was not handling my 100+ GB library very well. I was using it up until recently when I switched to Aperture. Aperture is much better and worth the $64 (I buy App Store gift cards at 20% off). The library format is the same with Aperture, though. You can actually use the same library for both iPhoto and Aperture (only modifications can't be shared).

I don't have a problem getting photos out of Aperture. I just drag them out to wherever I need it.

I don't know about thumbnails, but I know it does binary diffs for whatever changes you make, so it uses a minimal amount of space for the modifications you make. If you were managing things yourself, you probably wouldn't be able to pull this off easily.

With Aperture (but not iPhoto), you can store your originals on a separate drive(s) and it only keeps the thumbnails in the main library, so you have an "offline mode".

I haven't used Adobe Lightroom, which is Adobe's competitor to Aperture, so I can't compare.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
My Mac is older (04-05 Power Mac G5) and one of the worst things I've found with (my version of) iphoto is that it does not have as much information per picture as a photo imported via Photoshop (for instance).

For example, I wanted to make some blow-ups (16" x 20"). I copied the pix I wanted from iphoto to a disk. I took them to the print maker and he said they were too short (not enough data - maybe pixels per inch) to make blow-ups.
This is true of all iphoto pix (at least in my version of iphoto).

So for me, all iphoto was good for was looking at my pix in iphoto. In order to get enough data to make the blow-ups I had to buy "photoshop". I don't even bother with iphoto any longer.

Oh yeah, if you want to see what I'm talking about, load a photo via iphoto and load the same photo via photoshop. Now make an 8x10 using the respective formats. The clarity you'll get from photoshop blows away the iphoto.

This is not true. The resolution of iPhoto is exactly what you import. Possibly you had exported at a lower resolution... but it is "all in there".

With other packages... you can enhance the picture better than iPhoto... but the basic resolution is there in iPhoto.

/Jim

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Not intuitive

iphoto open...you see pictures at bottom of screen all kinds
of options but the MOST obvious one many people would want.."delete" or "send to trash" not included. If I were the manager of the Geek (s) who designed this, I would give him his last check and the address of Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.