Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
So, your plan is to make this (iMac 20" Intel logic board):

lovemacs_2249_731962230

fit into the space for this (iMac 20" PPC G5 logic board):

661-3599.jpg

That's why it won't fit.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
The power supply will only work with G5 iMac logicboards, the optical drive is a ATAPI drive that are not very common on Intell desktop motherboards, the screen won't work without you making a new controller board for it and its brightness will be stuck at 100%. Don't forget the speakers, microphone, iSight, power button, IO ports, and IR board. You'll have to make custom connectors for all of those devices after you reverse engineer their protocols.

Wouldn't be bad if you could at least type intel correctly. Io ports,are they not built into the logic board?
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be. I mean the power outputs may be different but the general size etc should be the same. How many different speaker connectors are there? Next you will say the keyboard won't fit!!!

----------

So, your plan is to make this (iMac 20" Intel logic board):

lovemacs_2249_731962230

fit into the space for this (iMac 20" PPC G5 logic board):

View attachment 399896

That's why it won't fit.
Nope not at all my logic board ain't like that on my 17" imac. I'm not going to argue with someone who only wants to see what they want to. I'm not saying this will 100% work without any small mods.
But half of you say I don't have a clue when clearly it's you that doesn't!

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Wouldn't be bad if you could at least type intel correctly. Io ports,are they not built into the logic board?
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be.

1. I don't think you quite get Intell's sense of humour.
2. If you're happy to take a hack saw to the back of the iMac to make the IO fit then by all means do so.
3. There's no such thing as a G5 Intel iMac.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Power supply? I'm getting a logic board from a g5 intel imac that's going into a g5 PowerPC I can't see how different it's going to be. I mean the power outputs may be different but the general size etc should be the same. How many different speaker connectors are there? Next you will say the keyboard won't fit!!!

----------

Nope not at all my logic board ain't like that on my 17" imac. I'm not going to argue with someone who only wants to see what they want to. I'm not saying this will 100% work without any small mods.

Since you're getting your new logic board from a "g5 intel imac," I'll give this one to you. Have at it - I can't stop you.

However, what you are attempting is impossible. If it were possible, it would have been done, and you'd find instructions online.

BTW, I have a clue - a degree in CS-IT and 20 years experience.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
1. I don't think you quite get Intell's sense of humour.
2. If you're happy to take a hack saw to the back of the iMac to make the IO fit then by all means do so.
3. There's no such thing as a G5 Intel iMac.

Ok sorry why would I need to hacksaw the back of my existing imac?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

I type the CPU's maker's name like that because it is my username. While the IO ports are built into the logicboard, you won't find any motherboards that have the same alignment. You'll have to make you own board to get the holes to line up. The power supplies in G5's don't have the proper voltages or connectors for any Intell board. You'll have to replace the power supply. The power supply from an Intell iMac won't fit as they have very different mounting points. The speakers will have to have any amplifier. You'll have to provide them with one.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
It is amazing how other people on this forum are so opposed to new ideas!

Yeah I agree with you there, they all seem to jump on the band wagon

I asked a question which no one has answered, have any of you lot turned your imac g5 PowerPC into and intel one?

----------

I type the CPU's maker's name like that because it is my username. While the IO ports are built into the logicboard, you won't find any motherboards that have the same alignment. You'll have to make you own board to get the holes to line up. The power supplies in G5's don't have the proper voltages or connectors for any Intell board. You'll have to replace the power supply. The power supply from an Intell iMac won't fit as they have very different mounting points. The speakers will have to have any amplifier. You'll have to provide them with one.

So you've put both power supplies next to each other or tried fitting one?

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013

Also I said if needed ill replace the power supply it's not hard to do is it?

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Compare:
86813_1.gif
303136_1-1.jpg

Notice any differences?

B

Would you like me to take a picture of the back of my imac?

----------

Yes, and they don't fit or connect. There isn't even a way to secure it into the iMac's case.

Then that's fine I'll have to replace the power supply, no big deal

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Would you like me to take a picture of the back of my iMac?

Then that's fine I'll have to replace the power supply, no big deal

You'll have a very hard time finding a power supply to fit within the iMac's casing, without the use of a hacksaw.

Last edited:

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
You'll have a very hard time finding a power supply to fit within the iMac's casing, without the use of a hacksaw.

I have 2 iMacs one has vertical ports the other horizontal ports

Last edited by a moderator:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: Thread was closed temporarily to let cooler heads prevail. Now that it's re-opened, please remain civil.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
OK, so let's assume that the OP is talking about retrofitting an early 2006 G5 iSight model.

According to this the enclosures were the same.

So would it be possible to take the guts from a late 2006 *Core Duo" model and put them in an early 2006/iSight body?

B

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
OK, so let's assume that the OP is talking about retrofitting an early 2006 G5 iSight model.

According to this the enclosures were the same.

So would it be possible to take the guts from a late 2006 *Core Duo" model and put them in an early 2006/iSight body?

B

Externally that look the same. However, internally they are vastly different. Notably the placement of the power supply and video cable.

M1keyb77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Externally that look the same. However, internally they are vastly different. Notably the placement of the power supply and video cable.

Not strictly true. I have a Imac g5 17" All the ports are the same logic board has the same mounting holes, psu is in same position amongst other things. I think some of you are mixing up models. Granted my 20" Imac is totally different in side from the 17"

For one the 20" you remove the back panel to gain access
17" You remove the front screen bezel to gain access

----------

Look at this image top right and middle. One is intel one is power pc. Only difference i see is the colour of the psu which makes me thinl i may need a psu too.

88928219_536b2391bd.jpg

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Not strictly true. I have a Imac g5 17" All the ports are the same logic board has the same mounting holes, psu is in same position amongst other things. I think some of you are mixing up models. Granted my 20" Imac is totally different in side from the 17"

For one the 20" you remove the back panel to gain access
17" You remove the front screen bezel to gain access

----------

Look at this image top right and middle. One is intel one is power pc. Only difference i see is the colour of the psu which makes me thinl i may need a psu too.

Interesting, I think I may actually have one, my 2.16ghz core 2 duos stand says that its a 1.8ghz imac g5 17inch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.