Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I suspect this is how Freemium rakes in $: kids mindlessly pushing the upgrade button b/c they have no concept of money's true value. Lots of kids out there who get iTunes cards by the dozens for birthdays gifts.

Even if you DO appreciate the value of money, a buck here, a buck there, over time it adds up quickly without you realizing.

Sometimes I get credit card bills and I'm a little shocked at how much the total is -- I only spent $20 here, $30 there, ... yes, it all adds up.

I've noticed a huge shift in the way I think about online transactions including app purchases over the past several years. I was very reluctant to give Apple my credit card number at first for iTunes store purchases. But now I regularly order apps and music. "A dollar? Sure, why not. *click Buy*". And I think Apple knows this, and this is how they turned around from a struggling manufacturer of expensive computer equipment to the media giant they are now. From selling $1799 computers and $499 music players, to selling millions of songs and apps, 99 cents at a time.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I hate freemium games ... I rather pay my 9.99 and be able to play the full game than to pay 2.99 a week (or per day!) to play.

Interesting. I'd like to do the same - what 9.99 games do you have on your iPad right now that are worth it for me to buy?

I bought Real Racing for $9.99, and picked up Real Racing 2 at its day 1 price because they are awesome racing games and my whole family can race each other without crappy console split-screen action.

Also picked up Civ Rev when it was still $14.99. It's only $0.99 now so grab it while you can. :)

Also, FF III was another $15 purchase. Don't know how much Babylonian Twins is now but that was a great and unique! platformer for only a few bucks too.

Mac Eagle

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
One of my biggest beefs with the fremium model is when the developer/publisher (here's looking at you EA) has the nerve to have an in-app-purchase for $99. That is just a blatant money grab and is rediculous. I mean, how can you possibly justify ANY content costing that much when even top-tier AAA titles for PC/Consoles only cost at MOST $60 and I'm sure cost way more to make than almost any fremium title?

I play my share of fremium games and have made in-app-purchases before but when I see this, it just makes my blood boil.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
One of my biggest beefs with the fremium model is when the developer/publisher (here's looking at you EA) has the nerve to have an in-app-purchase for $99. That is just a blatant money grab and is rediculous. I mean, how can you possibly justify ANY content costing that much when even top-tier AAA titles for PC/Consoles only cost at MOST $60 and I'm sure cost way more to make than almost any fremium title?

I play my share of fremium games and have made in-app-purchases before but when I see this, it just makes my blood boil.

For $99 I would expect to see lifetime free play/upgrades/everything. Even then, that's pretty hard-core.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Can someone please explain to me how "freemium" games/apps continue to be produced when every single person hate them. Do people just hate them yet continue to play them and in turn keeping devs thinking that freemium works?

Because these same people that hate them bitch when the same game gets released for 10 Bucks

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
In app purchases make sense to me when you pay and get more content: more levels (especially with new designs), more puzzles, more whatever.

Where I don't like IAP is when I pay to get the same thing over and over: another race, another dungeon run. It can be a fine line, but it's usually pretty easy to spot.

Where I can't stand them is where IAP change the rules or balance of the game. Buy armor upgrades, or otherwise buying progress in the game.

Personally I won't touch a game with IAP if it doesn't clearly fall into the first category only.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Even if you DO appreciate the value of money, a buck here, a buck there, over time it adds up quickly without you realizing.

Sometimes I get credit card bills and I'm a little shocked at how much the total is -- I only spent $20 here, $30 there, ... yes, it all adds up.

Sure. We all get the "surprise" bill except maybe the Luddite that only pays with cash in wallet. But that is a different issue from what I'm talking about.

Your point is one of going over budget. Mine is that the more mature one becomes the more thought they put into their purchases & the value received before you let the buck go. Certainly one can be both a smart shopper and a shopoholic just as one who only eats healthy foods can be an overeater.

Renzatic

Suspended
Whereas fremium games, you pretty much have to continually dump money in to win.

From what little I've seen, that doesn't seem to be the case with RR3. You can use in app payments to fast track yourself, but you could conceivably play through the whole game without having to pay for anything.

...it'd just take you awhile to do.

Though really, like everyone else, I'd much prefer paying my $10 and getting on with it rather than risk the potential of being nickel and dimed to death. Even though RR3 isn't as bad as some, there are still some annoying freemium features thrown in to entice you into buying some extra money and gold coins. Like the wait to get your repairs and oil changed. It's a game, people. Don't make me sit around for 5 minutes or spend 2 gold coins to rush it along. That's stupid. Let me get my repairs and get back to racing.

I think it's a huge crying shame that the game has been frayed around the edges just so EA ca go with their new IAP IN EVERYTHING model they're currently all hot and bothered over. It's such a good game otherwise.

RJ17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
iPhone + iPad

Does RR3 sync gameplay data between the iPhone and iPad?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Really want this to come to Mac like RR2 did because i can't play it on Android due to incompatibility b*l*s*i* :(

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I detest "Freemium" games as much as the next sane adult. But I remember when I was a kid I'd mindlessly stuff quarters in machines @ the arcade (yes, I'm an old dude). It drove my parents nuts but it was my $ to waste.

I suspect this is how Freemium rakes in $: kids mindlessly pushing the upgrade button b/c they have no concept of money's true value. Lots of kids out there who get iTunes cards by the dozens for birthdays gifts.

At least in the arcade you could show off your skills in front of a crowd with a game (used to do it all the time with pinball and have 3-6 people watching as I got to the wizard modes and broke the high score board and left the machine after 3 hours with 18 credits on it where I paid for ONE. I doubt the arcade owners like me much, though. :D )

I mean try to cheat in a public arcade with a closed machine/system. Maybe you could finagle a bug on a video game or work the tilt cleverly on a pinball game (I call that skill, though), but if you play a game online, you might as well just expect everyone to be using some kind of cheat/hack and so the gameplay is ruined and/or score boards are total NONSENSE. Yeah, bring back the arcades. Cheaters suck and a game that has a score board that counts endless "insert another coin to continue" as part of the regular score board (compared to those that could do it with one credit) suck also. Pinball always had a separate buy-in scoreboard, for example.

As for "freemium", they can go to hell. I play a flat fee for home games and that's it. Maybe I'll buy an upgrade pack for something like Dragon Age Origins, but that's a one-time fee for the pack as well. I don't have to keep paying for it over and over and over. Even a rental game back in the day from Blockbuster had unlimited play for the rental period and if the game was good enough, you bought it. If not, you only lost a few bucks.

Now if these guys want to offer a choice between buying the game unlimited or paying to play by the credit/hour/whatever, fine. But don't expect me to get excited over a credit model. The game would end up in the bit-bucket sooner rather than later whereas I still play Bejeweled semi-regularly.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Does RR3 sync gameplay data between the iPhone and iPad?

Unfortunately no. I hope they'll add that in an update.

----------

You know, I actually went into this game expecting to hate it from all the flack it's been getting and I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed playing it today. I didn't get a chance to play too much but so far the prices on cars, parts and repairs are actually reasonable relative to how much you earn in a race.

Kinda feels like the real thing in the sense you have to work your way up but not cost-prohibitive enough to force you to go for the in-app route. Of course the in-app purchases are priced ridiculously but I don't feel forced to do it, unlike some other games where the in-game currency is almost worthless relative to the items for sale.

I think the flack against this game is way out of proportion. There are a lot more greedy apps out there and they get nowhere near as much attention as this one did.

EDIT: A few annoyances with this game though after playing a bit more. Has stuff I loved from RR2 taken out like replays and airplay. As for icloud backups mentioned earlier, the game states it actually does save your progress to the cloud if you login to Facebook, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
No thanks freemium.

Unfortunately the plague of mobile-born microtransactions has infected some console games too, which is worse IMO (£40 game+microtransactions). It's a horrible future.

I'll happily pay full price for a game that was guaranteed to have all content. If they sold a £15 RR3 that would get all DLC as it was launched - I'd buy that. Instead I'm just left with GT5 in 3D with a racing wheel. I'll cope.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My beef is the pay to play, or wait, approach. That would cost me hundreds a year (thousands?) to play the same way I play RR2. No. Thank. You.

Then there's the cliché naming scheme:

Handful of gold
Pocketful of gold
Pile of gold
Stack of gold
Truckload of gold
Gold card
Grey card
Black card
Blue card
Silver card
Platinum card

I want to race, not buy digital precious metals.

Reminds me of a certain smurf game.

Goodbye RR, old friend.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Developers ought to be free to choose how to make money, whether it's ads, freemium or paid, and I support their right. I'm an adult who can decide whether or not it's worth my time/ money.

For instance, in playing Jetpack Joyride, I paid the $1.99 to the developer to collect double coins because my son and I were going through and unlocking everything in the game. It was a little frustrating watching him have to save up all of those coins. But for Tiny Tower, it was so casual that I didn't spend any money on Tower Bucks.

It's still a balancing act for developers. I support any developer who asks their consumers to exchange a small amount of money for time. Most adults can put some sort of monetary value on time and/or entertainment. What I can't support, however, is a developer shipping an incomplete game that can be completed by in-app purchases (or a game with a steep difficulty curve and charging for weapons/ armor/ etc that can't be gained through normal gameplay).

However, the biggest thing that bothers me about "freemium" games is when they deliberately target children who don't understand the concept. But Apple has made some steps to curb that behavior (passwords for IAP content).

I've noticed a huge shift in the way I think about online transactions including app purchases over the past several years. I was very reluctant to give Apple my credit card number at first for iTunes store purchases. But now I regularly order apps and music. "A dollar? Sure, why not. *click Buy*". And I think Apple knows this, and this is how they turned around from a struggling manufacturer of expensive computer equipment to the media giant they are now. From selling $1799 computers and $499 music players, to selling millions of songs and apps, 99 cents at a time.

notjustjay, I'm not targeting you directly, you just happened to say something that I wanted to address.

A lot of transactions are handled a little bit at a time. Very few people have the cash up front to pay for a house, car or even a cell phone. But with a (relatively) small upfront cost and small (compared to the total purchase amount) payment, we can afford things we wouldn't otherwise buy.

I know it's a stretch comparing a $5 smartphone app to a $300,000 house, but in each case, there is some utility gained from each purchase. It's a psychological effect that's nearly impossible to turn off in all of us. And it's not that it bothers me that much in theory, just that there's a d*ck way to do it and a non-d*ck way to do it.

Last edited:

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
I understand when those crappy town building games and farmville clones use this freemium method, but this is a game that should have come out at something like £6.99 and just been a game, now they will make no money from me, when they could have. I'll just continue to play Real Racing 2.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I've still been playing. It's a lot of fun to just play and earn things. I actually feel like I would be cheating if I paid to get some cars sooner. It still strikes me as funny that some people are being pissed off about this option in a game that works perfectly well without paying anything.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I hate freemium games ... I rather pay my 9.99 and be able to play the full game than to pay 2.99 a week (or per day!) to play.QUOTE]

Interesting. I'd like to do the same - what 9.99 games do you have on your iPad right now that are worth it for me to buy?

Baulder's Gate is a good one. Most games are in the 3.00 - 5.00 range, perhaps the iOS store needs a reliagnment or freemium games should offer a season's pass type unlock feature (i.e. 10.00 - 20.00 upfront charge?)

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
There was an article written a few days ago that worked out how much you'd have to spend to get 100%

Came out to something like 500 hours of time and about $300 (iirc) in-game currency and that didn't include spending any money on repairs or upgrades.

No game is worth more than $60...

Would i pay $30 for this game to have a 'gold pass' that dropped the r$ costs and effectively made gold pointless? Absolutely

Do i want to reward Firemonkey for making one of the most technically brilliant iOS games ever? Absolutely

Do i want to reward this current IAP scheme and encourage publishers to keep foisting this onto us? Absolutely not!!!

I almost feel bad that i'm getting so much fun out of this game but am not rewarding them ... it deserves it but i feel ripped off at the current IAP tiers being not that rewarding

Shame really

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Sorry but I'll have to disagree. Freemium and DLC are not a way of stopping piracy - not at all. They could just sell their game and be paid for it. Freemiums and DLC models are just a greedy way to make more money than they should.

People that are willing to pay for a game, they will not pirate it, they just want to buy it once and get done with it. For people that "want everything for free" (aka pirate s/w users) making a game freemium will not make them pay.

To sum it up: Making a game freemium (or taking the DLC road) tries to milk more money from the same people that would pay anyway for it.

Totally misunderstood my point. A pirated version cannot connect to the server and download the content. It's the way it's all hooked into the Appstore. Same on Google play now.

I do think the model is fine - just the prices are mental on some games.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Looks like a great and pretty realistic game, not one of those kiddie games featuring 550 mph speeds and VWs with 4300 hp....been looking for something like this. And the time-out feature may well be better for many people who really don't want to devote their lives to gaming.

theboyk

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
And...deleted.
It's a sweet game, and I'd pay for it. But, I won't pay/play it this way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.