Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
People who do feel like me

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

And its not the device or hardware the biggest con for me is the ios which has gone stale

OMG! Those guys think its stale?! I'm selling mine tomorrow!!!!!

Really, who the F%*K cares what they think? Buy what YOU want. If you're buying something, or not buying something, because of someone else's opinion you have issues...

here2rock

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2012
Australia
The main problem I see with Apple is their phone range, just one same old boring iPhone. They really need to have iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone Mini, an iPhone with 5" screen and iPhone with 6" screen. Give us some choices. iOS is just as boring and stale now.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You know, you are welcome to spend your money on other items as well. Its your prerogative. Why would anyone else care what you spend your money on?

Agreed. I don't care what the "experts" say. I base my decision on what works for me. If the iPhone isn't what you want OP then you should get something else.

poppers

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
I was going to spend about 3 hours replying to this then I thought:

images

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I think iOS has been stale since ios5. People will say they have us notifications but it was 1-2 years too late. iOS 7 better be really good, but I doubt it will.

I like the iPhone 5 with the exception of the shoddy build quality. I've been with Apple since the original iphone. This is as close as I have ever been to leaving especially if Apple releases the iphone 5S. Might have to finally jump ship and see how the Galaxy s4 is.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
I think they could make some "tweaks" here and there, but they aren't going to totally redesign the iPhone.

I mean, why should they?

It's a phone. What else does it really, really need to do that it doesn't already?

iOS 6.1.2 might be "bland" in some people's eyes, but it still works great. Not buggy at all (on my end), etc.

Again, make some tweaks, but I don't think anything drastic needs to be done.

Because Blackberry said so........;)

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
In my opinion apple has gone bland, in the ambition of making items that work well it has fallen behind stuff that is cool and many things the last 3 years have faltered. Podcast app, maps, antenna, passport, lack of api access, lack of cool features are just one of many things. I accepted the walled garden and i hated android but after using the newer devices i admit Samsung and Google did it first and did it better. Unless Apple makes a drastic change in ios 7 this will be my last ios device. Android did suck but they at least worked hard to catch up and even tho the apps are a bit behind, the features are not. Apple has been too slow and too conservative. I want the apple which went from os 9 to os 10 not the one which went from os 7 to os 8

Anyone feel the same way as me?

There are probably tons of people who feel the same way as you do. I however don't. I love iPhone since it works for me and does everything I need it to do. If you aren't happy with something make a change and try something different.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
In my opinion apple has gone bland, in the ambition of making items that work well it has fallen behind stuff that is cool and many things the last 3 years have faltered. Podcast app, maps, antenna, passport, lack of api access, lack of cool features are just one of many things. I accepted the walled garden and i hated android but after using the newer devices i admit Samsung and Google did it first and did it better. Unless Apple makes a drastic change in ios 7 this will be my last ios device. Android did suck but they at least worked hard to catch up and even tho the apps are a bit behind, the features are not. Apple has been too slow and too conservative. I want the apple which went from os 9 to os 10 not the one which went from os 7 to os 8

I just want a Quad Core CPU, more Ram, make the 32GB standard, more colors, more efficient iOS and get rid of that stupid Newstand App.

I am holding off on the 5S, do not think it will be better, and hoping for a 4.5 or 4.7" screen on the IP6. I think the iPhone has a place just like Android, there are those who just want simple things to work, thus iPhone. There are those who are anti-Apple and want to customize the crud out of their phones, thus-Android.

I tried the S SIII and Note II, great phones, work extremely well and are smooth and fast not like Android pre ICS. I tried to customize the crap out of it, and all I did was slow it down, make the battery drain faster and essentially removed all those apps.

I think if Android was a little more strict in their Developer policy like Apple the apps would be of better quality. I would prefer to pay $.99 for an App and not get tons of popup ads, but on Android most are free and loaded with ads.

Thant being said, I have dug myself deep into the Apple echo system over the past 5 years and I plan on staying there now, however if the IP6 is not bigger, I may have to pack my bags and move on, 4.0" is just not that much screen space to read email, especially when you look at it on 4.5 or 4.8, or 5.5" screens, and that is 75% of what I use my phone for, reading work email.

I like Apple and have faith in Tim and Jon, hopefully over the next 1.5 years they will deliver a better phone next year, otherwise my MBP will stay, but the phone will be for review by next year?

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
I see the typical over reactions of bye bye without reading what I wrote. I will expect Apple to wow me because it hasnt since the iPhone 4. The iOS was good then but if you look at the competition it is on parity if not behind a number of items. I would hope to stay with Apple but since 4 the only significant change is a 0.5 inch screen size bump which looked like a reactionary decision rather than a proactive one. The 4 wowed me with the standard to retina display, the proper hd
Camera and video recording, a significant bump in tech in the cpu and gpu and a newer design but that was hardware alone, the ios was still essentially getting incremental updates. Now i can accept it if the hardware gets standard bumps up but the ios is at an unacceptable state of staleness, they need to wow a lot of people including me software wise because in essence if they dont they competiton will get a jump ahead this year alone. Mac was good because of great hardware but the OS had features that windows couldnt match and only played catch up to. Now it seems somewhat reversed where the hardware is great but Android is expected to leap ahead of ios in terms of speed functionality and stability ( its already ahead in functionality) and stability and speed are not far behind.

I hear a lot of ' oh well iphone works for me ' , well so did os 9 for a lot
Of folks before os x came alone or windows xp before windows 7 came along or Android 2.3 before Android 4 came along

alexander25

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
i just want a bigger screen.. that's all i ask.

5", and i will be there in line to get it first day.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few

And its not the device or hardware the biggest con for me is the ios which has gone stale

All Geeks and just want something to talk about!

iPhone design is just fine, iOS will likely see some tweaks in iOS7 release coming up.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I see the typical over reactions of bye bye without reading what I wrote. I will expect Apple to wow me because it hasnt since the iPhone 4. The iOS was good then but if you look at the competition it is on parity if not behind a number of items. I would hope to stay with Apple but since 4 the only significant change is a 0.5 inch screen size bump which looked like a reactionary decision rather than a proactive one. The 4 wowed me with the standard to retina display, the proper hd
Camera and video recording, a significant bump in tech in the cpu and gpu and a newer design but that was hardware alone, the ios was still essentially getting incremental updates. Now i can accept it if the hardware gets standard bumps up but the ios is at an unacceptable state of staleness, they need to wow a lot of people including me software wise because in essence if they dont they competiton will get a jump ahead this year alone. Mac was good because of great hardware but the OS had features that windows couldnt match and only played catch up to. Now it seems somewhat reversed where the hardware is great but Android is expected to leap ahead of ios in terms of speed functionality and stability ( its already ahead in functionality) and stability and speed are not far behind.

I hear a lot of ' oh well iphone works for me ' , well so did os 9 for a lot
Of folks before os x came alone or windows xp before windows 7 came along or Android 2.3 before Android 4 came along

Nope. I read your OP, and this one as well.

BYE!

It's really ok to LEAVE. But you won't. And if you do, the next iPhone will snap you right back. I base that on the fact that you are this upset over a PHONE (it proves how much you care about said phone) and that you haven't moved on ALREADY.

Face it, you love the iPhone. That's ok too. PLENTY of users know full well that the Note has a bigger screen, or that the SGS3 has a slightly faster benchmark when manipulated on a useless test. It doesn't matter. They still choose the iPhone 5 because cutting edge features and "wow" factors are not the ONLY driving force in phone selection.

Apple can stand losing you. They can't stand losing everyone else that's perfectly happy with incremental upgrades to an already top-notch product because they wanted to make it "cooler" for the 1% of people that don't think it's cool enough already.

Move along. Buy what makes you happy. Threatening to leave is NOT going to work lolz...

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
I think they could make some "tweaks" here and there, but they aren't going to totally redesign the iPhone.

I mean, why should they?

It's a phone. What else does it really, really need to do that it doesn't already?

iOS 6.1.2 might be "bland" in some people's eyes, but it still works great. Not buggy at all (on my end), etc.

Again, make some tweaks, but I don't think anything drastic needs to be done.

I have to agree here. A phone is a phone, it's supposed to make calls, if you really spend your whole day customizing it and sitting on the computer looking for new ROMs (for Android) and tweaks, then you really need to get a life..

Use what works for you. If you prefer Android because of the Google Services, go for it. If you have primarily Apple products and have an iPhone, then that's fine too. To each their own

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Please give me a list of super innovative features that are available on android, and are widely used and accepted, that apple has ignored. And don't say stuff like NFC or tap fists to transfer a photo.
Just give me examples of 2 or 3 things. Actually make it just one thing. All these bells and whistles being thrown into android phones are USELESS, cool-factor features. Give me something with at least some traction.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Please give me a list of super innovative features that are available on android, and are widely used and accepted, that apple has ignored. And don't say stuff like NFC or tap fists to transfer a photo.
Just give me examples of 2 or 3 things. Actually make it just one thing. All these bells and whistles being thrown into android phones are USELESS, cool-factor features. Give me something with at least some traction.

Gesture Typing ( swype built into the OS)
Multi user support rather than one on iOS like they have it on windows and mac OS
App API access to All Android features aka apps are not blocked for competing with Apple apps
Browsers are not limited to only using Safari's webkit rather than their own which means if you can make a call and the OS asks you which service you want to use like Google voice or Skype etc or your own phone service
Bluetooth FILE TRANSFER (common sense)
Ability to set my favorite app AS the default app ( come on there is nothing more common sense as that)

There are dozens more but you asked for a couple and these i typed on top of my head

Last edited:

chibisukee

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
I'm on Android 4.1 right now on the HTC One X, I have been using Android for about a year now.
I should have done more research before I switched, my previous phone was an iPhone 4 and I had no idea what I was going to miss when I switched.

A lot of Android users will tell you that custom roms are awesome. They are not, they cause the phone to be more glitchy and buggy than it is worth. I have to run stock rom in order to avoid having random reboots, issues with the camera, radio etc. Meanwhile with an iPhone, you don't have to worry about running or changing roms to make your battery better or to make the phone faster since iOS just works. But if you do enjoy tweaking there is jailbreaking and cydia which will provide you with far more tweaks and mods than you can find for individual Android devices, but that should be obvious because every Android phone will have about 20 developers while all iPhones benefit from developers on all iPhones.

A lot of Android users will tell you that bigger screens are better. I argue that bigger screens are not better if the graphics of the games you are playing is compromised because of the platform they run on and if the apps that you run all look like they don't belong and have ugly layouts. What is the point of the big screen if it's not used by the apps? It would make sense to use the real estate provided by such a big screen to streamline your app instead of relying on menus upon menus. Meanwhile on iOS even if you have a smaller screen, app interfaces tend to show more with less on iOS (everything is useful without a menu button) and app interfaces tend to look more polished because Apples SDK does provide developers with guidelines and layouts for interface development while Google's SDK for Android leaves the developers to design from scratch even the smallest layout while proving guidelines on how to make good apps and hoping that the developers will follow it.

A lot of Android users will tell you that their battery sucks. This is a problem with Android. All apps continue running in the background forever thanks to "real" multitasking. Oh and by the way, this still doesn't allow Youtube videos to play in the background even though the app does run in the background, something that iOS has been capable of for years. On iOS you will never have to worry about an app running in the background without you knowing because that just isn't allowed on iOS. Also apps on Android that fulfill simple functions such as voicemail and DeskSMS need to run the background at all times to be functional. Meanwhile iOS provides hooks for those kinds of apps so they don't have to run in the background to be functional, instead they run when the event they hook is run. On iOS you don't have to download a task manager or an app manager to manage your apps.

The fragmentation of the Android platform makes it near impossible to actually enjoy the benefits of the features provided to you by the OEMs. Let us look at NFC for one example, while anyone would agree that NFC is an innovative feature - if you buy the wrong phone you won't be able to use certain apps that employ the NFC function. One example of this is the Google Wallet app on the HTC One XL. Another example of how NFC is ruined by the OEMs are that often the sharing features relating to NFC are specific to each OEM. So unless you and all your buddies have the same phone from the same manufacturer, have fun not sharing with each-other unless you download a separate app such as Google Drive or Box or Dropbox - of course all of those are available on iOS as well, but you are not required to download them just to share with a fellow iPhone user.

A lot of Android users will tell you that it is amazing that all of their Google services can be synced to their Android phone. What Android users don't realize is that they have to download apps for this to occur, much of the syncing that is done is not actually built into the Android platform. For example it is possible to have Android without any of the Google apps, including the Play Store. Meanwhile on iOS the syncing, with iCloud or even with Google's own services, is native to the operating system. In other words, it does not drain your battery.

Now if we ignore all the issues pertaining to the user experience (the roms, the apps, the screen, the battery life, the features) we can start looking at how Android implements their version of the JVM, dalvik vm. Now there are many things that could be said about this implementation, but I will stick to the fact that it causes Androids GUI and apps to be far less efficient than they could be - an easy way to see this in action is to look at how smooth an iPhone 4, with a single core at 800mhz and 512mb of ram, is in comparison to many of the modern Android phones, most of which run at almost double the iPhone 4's cpu speed with more than double the amount cores and more than double the amount of ram but not double the performance. Simply looking at the scrolling performance or game performance of a 2 generation old iPhone to even the most modern Android phones will show you that iOS capable of doing far more with less.

Oh, and if you buy the wrong Android phone and use a Mac, have fun with transferring files over to your memory stick with adb via a terminal all the time.

If you are a developer and buy the wrong Android phone or run the wrong rom on the right phone, have fun having adb crash on you every 2 hours while you debug your apps.

All the reasons above are why I am attempting to go back to an iPhone 4 with 800mhz single core and 512 mb of ram while I already have a phone that runs at 1.5 ghz dual core and 1 gb of ram. Because one phone everytime you navigate the operating system it feels mechanical, that is - not natural, and there is nothing you can do about it and on the other if stock makes it feel unnatural (which it does not from my personal prior experience) you can tweak everything.

Just ask yourself, how many apps and tweaks are out there for iOS just to tweak the way you switch between apps that you have open (stock which is customizable via auxo, dash, card switcher, switchboard, super switcher, multi flow, quasar, aero), and look at how many choices you have on Android (stock, task switcher.)

For those who care about their web browsing and gaming and complete experience on their phones and don't mind the screen size, it is best to stick with iPhone, for everyone else there's Android.

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
For god's sake, it's just a damn phone. It's glass, metal, silicon, an other compounds. Your life is not going to end because you do or do not have an iphone. You are not starving to death. Your life will not be in chaos either way. Quit your sniveling whining.

Last edited:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Well must say you won't be missed. Have a good one! Enjoy your new device.

Joshua Topolski
Jeff Jarvis
Leo Laporte
Guy Kawasaki
Steve Wozniak
Matthew Ingram
Robert Scoble

Just to name a few
Who are these people and why do I care what they think?

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

No

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I love my jailbroken iPhone 5.

It's like I just got a new phone even though I've had mine since launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.