Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
So a piece written by adobe over a year later (article date is November 2011) wasn't influenced at all by Apple's decision not to support mobile flash?

Sounds about right.

As for the rest of the thread. I'll put in some inputs as to the major features bmac4 thinks should be standard. Mind you, these are thoughts from a person who has been labeled a fanboy on these very forums because I support most of apple's decisions in products.

- NFC: After seeing the NFC tags sometime last year, I thought those were pretty cool and one of the biggest things that made me want to try an Android phone. I would definitely be in favor of adding this to the iPhone. Is it a deal breaker? No.

- Screens wider than 2": I've never owned another smart phone other than the iPhone. I've only messed around with various phones in stores every time I go somewhere. Honestly, except for the Note, most phones didn't just scream "Oh my god, this is huge, I'll never get used to this size!" I really didn't even notice that I was looking at a larger screen. Maybe it's because it wasn't what my mind was focused on as I was focusing more on the OS and how different things worked.

- SD card slots (on most android phones): I've dealt with Micro and mini SD cards in various devices (PSP, Contour HD, previous flip phones, etc). I'd rather not have to deal with them anymore. They are tiny and I realize that you could just buy a large capacity and leave it in there, but it's one more thing I don't have to worry about with the iPhone. I know what storage I'm getting when I make my purchase. I think SD cards for phones should go the way of the dinosaur.

- LTE (while this is not true any more Android had it long before Apple): It's awesome because I actually have it where I live now. When the 5 first came out and when I bought it, I was living in another city only 45 minutes north which did not have LTE. If you've got it in your area, it's great. Until they roll it out to nation wide coverage, it's still not a necessity. Plus, with the extreme limits on data usage in the US and high priced plans, it's almost not even worth it sometimes.

- True HD screens (yes Apple has retina display it is not true 720p): At the current screen size of the iPhone, this matters not to me. I've looked at 720p screens side by side of my iPhone 5 watching an HD video on YouTube. Really wasn't a difference. As long as Apple can keep the same or slightly higher maybe PPI if or when they increase the screen size, then I'll be happy.

Yes I find this very objective which is nice to see. I would like to think I am some what the same way. I have used both android and apple, and as I said before I like things about both. I just started this thread to open some Apple fans eyes. I think there is more out there than they wan to admit, and at times Apple lags behind in implementing features.

I am using an iphone 5 at the moment, but it is jailbroken. There are things the iphone 5 just can't do right out of the box that I want. I do like what the iphone has to offer, but I do think it lacks things that is should have.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
ie. if Apple decides to back NFC, it will probably take off. If they don't, it probably won't.

Now if Apple were to suddenly strike a deal where all their new phones had NFC, integrated it in such a way that it was genuinely useful for sharing data, and put together a payment system that was widely accepted, then yes, it could suddenly have some use. But again, the value is in the implementation, not the feature itself in isolation.

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with Isis.. :)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
So a piece written by adobe over a year later (article date is November 2011) wasn't influenced at all by Apple's decision not to support mobile flash?

If you read it, that is a vastly different write up than what Jobs wrote. If your trying to say that Adobe needs Apple to succeed, id disagree. They have been doing fine for years without them and is continuing to develope Flash 12 for other uses that are in over 1 billion devices/computers, etc.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
If you read it, that is a vastly different write up than what Jobs wrote. If your trying to say that Adobe needs Apple to succeed, id disagree. They have been doing fine for years without them and is continuing to develope Flash 12 for other uses that are in over 1 billion devices/computers, etc.

Yea this flash argument is the dumbest one I have heard.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yea this flash argument is the dumbest one I have heard.

Yes it is, but posters like nucknfutz never say anything possitive about Google even when it is deserved. Its always about Apple. And thats fine, but hec i dont use a iPhone any longer and havent for a long time but i do have other products and i give them their due.
Again for me, i like the iPhone, it just does not do as many simple things for me that i like.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Yes it is, but posters like nucknfutz never say anything possitive about Google even when it is deserved. Its always about Apple. And thats fine, but hec i dont use a iPhone any longer and havent for a long time but i do have other products and i give them their due.
Again for me, i like the iPhone, it just does not do as many simple things for me that i like.

Yea I like both android and iOS.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yes I find this very objective which is nice to see. I would like to think I am some what the same way. I have used both android and apple, and as I said before I like things about both. I just started this thread to open some Apple fans eyes. I think there is more out there than they wan to admit, and at times Apple lags behind in implementing features.

I am using an iphone 5 at the moment, but it is jailbroken. There are things the iphone 5 just can't do right out of the box that I want. I do like what the iphone has to offer, but I do think it lacks things that is should have.

I have to agree. I jailbroke again after the new release from about a 2 year break. I like androids way of quick access to settings which was the first thing I added with the jailbreak. I'm very tempted to go buy a nexus 4 to have as a second phone to play around with. My roommate has an older HTC mode,l but I don't remember which one, that he said he let me use if I wanted to. I really don't think there's any apps I use that are iOS specific throughout my daily routine. One day I'll get one. I'm more intrigued by androids tablets though. I think that will be my first true venture into android.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Your post seems rather objective. Can't really label the above fanboyism. ;)

As for NFC, you actually brought up tags which most in this thread seemed to ignore or not be aware of. It is how I use NFC on my Note 2. Very nice once you get them in place. I have one on my desk for work that sets things up how I like for when working. Once I get a car holder for my N2 I will have another in there. Yet another on my nightstand. Not a deal-maker but definitely a bonus. I generally take things to the total geek level so am thinking of putting them on canisters for cereal, rice, dog food, coffee, etc. Just touch my phone to add that item to the grocery list lol.

As for mSD cards I don't really look at them as removable: buy one, put it in, forget about it. That is what I did with my Note 2--plus it is under the back cover so truly is out of the way.

Michael

Save yourself some money and just scan the barcodes on those products :p

Unless that isn't available in the US? Some of the grocery shopping apps here let you add items to basket by scanning the barcode using the camera, only takes a fraction of a second if you can keep your hand steady.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Your post seems rather objective. Can't really label the above fanboyism. ;)

As for NFC, you actually brought up tags which most in this thread seemed to ignore or not be aware of. It is how I use NFC on my Note 2. Very nice once you get them in place. I have one on my desk for work that sets things up how I like for when working. Once I get a car holder for my N2 I will have another in there. Yet another on my nightstand. Not a deal-maker but definitely a bonus. I generally take things to the total geek level so am thinking of putting them on canisters for cereal, rice, dog food, coffee, etc. Just touch my phone to add that item to the grocery list lol.

As for mSD cards I don't really look at them as removable: buy one, put it in, forget about it. That is what I did with my Note 2--plus it is under the back cover so truly is out of the way.

Michael

Are the nfc tags limited to stock apps? Could I make it so it turns my lights on and off?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Are the nfc tags limited to stock apps? Could I make it so it turns my lights on and off?

You can tell it to launch any app.. so if you had an app called 'lights on' that turned your lights on, and an app called 'lights off' to turn them off, you could create one tag which toggles between launching those two apps each time you use it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You can tell it to launch any app.. so if you had an app called 'lights on' that turned your lights on, and an app called 'lights off' to turn them off, you could create one tag which toggles between launching those two apps each time you use it.

I have the hue lights, and it would be awesome to have them turn off just by putting the phone on my night stand.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Save yourself some money and just scan the barcodes on those products :p

Unless that isn't available in the US? Some of the grocery shopping apps here let you add items to basket by scanning the barcode using the camera, only takes a fraction of a second if you can keep your hand steady.

Barcodes? We we have them...since the 1970s.

But I don't have barcodes on kitchen canisters.

If I wanted to I could print my own barcodes to automate tasks but scanning with the camera is a hassle compared to the ease of NFC. It's not just using the camera it is finding the app, tapping the scan button, focussing.. Oops I need the LED lamp on, etc. I know, first-world problems lol.

Michael

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I thought I would share this picture. Thought it was kind of funny, and fit in this thread.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361682296.066737.jpg

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008

Memes: fitting people's agendas since 2003.

Yeah a drop down notifications center, folders, 16:9 resolution, the split keyboard, the do not disturb/call message reply system, wireless syncing and tabbed browsing are all originally iOS ideas.

Everyone steals from everyone.

The only thing Android "stole" from iOS is that it's a touch screen operating system with icons on the desktop. WOW, THAT'S SO CREATIVE. How DARE they!?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yeah a drop down notifications center, folders, 16:9 resolution, the split keyboard, the do not disturb/call message reply system, wireless syncing and tabbed browsing are all originally iOS ideas.

The only thing Android "stole" from iOS is that it's a touch screen operating system with icons on the desktop. WOW, THAT'S SO CREATIVE. How DARE they!?

I'm not getting into a stupid argument with you about who stole what, was just posting another use of that meme I've seen in the past...it's not one I made.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

Memes: fitting people's agendas since 2003.

Well I am glad you picked the pick with only Samsung copying Apple cause that is the only thing even close to android that has stolen from Apple. I am glad you understand that.

Also if you notice I said it was funny, but if you want to try and start an argument go right ahead.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Well I am glad you picked the pick with only Samsung copying Apple cause that is the only thing even close to android that has stolen from Apple. I am glad you understand that.

Also if you notice I said it was funny, but if you want to try and start an argument go right ahead.

I was just saying that anyone can write anything on a meme :p

Not arguing with what you actually said because it's a pointless debate :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I was just saying that anyone can write anything on a meme :p

Not arguing with what you actually said because it's a pointless debate :)

Yea I mean I just saw someone posted that and thought it was funny. I was not trying to start an argument. I may believe that to be true, but I understand a lot of people don't.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania

Don't forget rounded corners!!!!

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
There was another feature I was thinking about that Apple has missed out on. The notification light. Where is that? Most all smartphones these days have them. Why does Apple not?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There was another feature I was thinking about that Apple has missed out on. The notification light. Where is that? Most all smartphones these days have them. Why does Apple not?

Since day 1 Apple has missed out on putting information right on the home screen.

My Palm TX would boot right into my agenda view . . . . and that was circa 2003. Now, I can have my day's events anywhere I want, right from boot, or one or two swipes away. I always have my weather and time app on the same pages.

On my iPad, I have to boot, click on iCal, then home, then look at the clock, then home, then check the weather.

Or pay for a 3rd party app.

Or jailbreak.

Total waste.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Since day 1 Apple has missed out on putting information right on the home screen.
There was a lot of things Apple has missed out on with the iPhone. But when it first came out it offered a better experience that made what it was missing worth it.

The lack of copy-and-paste killed me back in 2007. I had it on PDA's for over a decade before that. And years before on smartphones. Yet I put up with it because I liked the experience of the iPhone. That was then.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

My Palm TX would boot right into my agenda view . . . . and that was circa 2003. Now, I can have my day's events anywhere I want, right from boot, or one or two swipes away. I always have my weather and time app on the same pages.

On my iPad, I have to boot, click on iCal, then home, then look at the clock, then home, then check the weather.

Or pay for a 3rd party app.

Or jailbreak.

Total waste.

They haven't "missed out" on anything - simply offered a different philosophy centered around the in-app experience. Android offers what you want, which is why you chose it.

When will people learn that these two companies offer the things they do based on the philosophy behind each and that one person's preference or needs are not indicative of an entire nation's or world's??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.