Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hornickj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Edmond, OK
I've noticed recently that when you place a call, the phone immediately goes from LTE to 4G. The data connection is barely usable while on a call, which defeats the sales marketing that AT&T uses against its competitors. I've validated the issue on multiple iPhone5's on AT&T network. I've also validated this on version 6.0.1 & 6.1.2 with the same results. Not sure if this is an AT&T issue or Apple, however should be addressed.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It seems that AT&T throttles data speeds during calls. I've tested this on an iPhone 4S with Tmobile and the speeds were still fast so I'm sure it's an AT&T specific thing.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I have the same issue. Download speeds during a call are about .80 Mbps and usable, but uploads only go to about .01 Mbps.

I can load up a website but can hardly send a picture message via iMessage or MMS.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
It seems that AT&T throttles data speeds during calls. I've tested this on an iPhone 4S with Tmobile and the speeds were still fast so I'm sure it's an AT&T specific thing.

It isn't throttled. It is just it will not connect to LTE during the call and drop down to HSPA. And since AT&T HSPA speeds are horrible vs T-mobiles, you might notice a difference between the two.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've noticed recently that when you place a call, the phone immediately goes from LTE to 4G. The data connection is barely usable while on a call, which defeats the sales marketing that AT&T uses against its competitors. I've validated the issue on multiple iPhone5's on AT&T network. I've also validated this on version 6.0.1 & 6.1.2 with the same results. Not sure if this is an AT&T issue or Apple, however should be addressed.

Known and intended behavior.

jasheeky

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. iMessages take way too long to deliver.

hornickj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Edmond, OK
So as an AT&T customer, we are supposed to just live with it? Why advertise talk and surf if they throttle it down?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So as an AT&T customer, we are supposed to just live with it? Why advertise talk and surf if they throttle it down?

Yes, its normal behavior.
It switches from LTE to 3G/4G to make a call.
And yes they have been throttling speeds during a call for a while now. Not sure what's the point behind it either but you can still do stuff. I get about 1mb down and half up while on a call so shouldnt be a problem doing most things you need to do. On Sprint or Verizon you cant do anything requiring data at all.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Yes, its normal behavior.
It switches from LTE to 3G/4G to make a call.
And yes they have been throttling speeds during a call for a while now. Not sure what's the point behind it either but you can still do stuff. I get about 1mb down and half up while on a call so shouldnt be a problem doing most things you need to do. On Sprint or Verizon you cant do anything requiring data at all.

As I mentioned earlier, "Download speeds during a call are about .80 Mbps and usable, but uploads only go to about .01 Mbps."

I wouldn't be complaining if I at least got .50 Mbps upload, but .01 is unacceptable, especially when not being able to send a picture via MMS or iMessage.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Yes, I dont get why they do that either.
Doesnt make any sense.

They probably do it simply to lighten the load on the network. They probably figured most people won't notice the throttling while on a call. It's definitely not unique to the iPhone, and the network could certainly handle full speeds while on a call, they just don't want to allow it. That being said, something is better than nothing (here's looking at you, Verizon and Sprint).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.