Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamskiG

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
WORLD's most admired companies?

Looking at the list I find it hard to believe that anyone outside the tri-state area was polled for an opinion with 2 out of the top 30 and only 8 out of the top 50 coming from beyond the borders of the U.S.

Noticeable omissions that are possibly worthy of admiration being LVMH, IKEA, ALDI, and H&M but instead we get MacDonald's (famous for causing obesity and cholesterol problems) rather than GSK or Roche (famous for trying to cure them).

I'm surprised that Lehman Brothers and Enron don't make an appearance on the list!

FYI there is life beyond America!

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Disney just isn't one of the top places for people to choose for vacation spots anymore. It just doesn't hold the same flare as it use to years back.

It's not just their parks though. (And this isn't a 'family' survey anyway...) I don't know if you've ever dealt with their cruise lines or home video departments or local stores, but every interaction I've had customer service wise has always been prompt, professional, and friendly. For the size of their company, I think they're managed pretty well. What can I say? :)

c0venant

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
How does Apple hold up outside the U.S. compared to inside the U.S?
you ask anyone around here what phone they would buy if they could afford ANY phone, 90% will tell you "the iPhone". I see tons of Samsung phones in the hands of other people every day, and they all look the same to me because Samsung sells many different models, many of them low-end, and I can't tell them apart. So I don't pay attention to them, neither do other people. When people see the Apple logo, they know it's expensive and a high-end product, cause it's all Apple sells. This company has a totally different reputation than Samsung.

I would think they would be highly admired just about everywhere. There is strong desire for their products worldwide. The only problem is price in many areas, but people still like and desire the products.
this

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don't understand the logic behind the people stating that stock numbers mean nothing and that this is proof... All fortune 500 does is rank companies by their gross revenue. It was never a secret that Apple was making a butt ton of money. But they did drop the ball (in the eyes of the public) and that was made evidence by a stock drop. Obviously they didn't drop the ball enough to ruin the company (that would take a LOT), but some people didn't like the direction they were heading.

Another important thing to note is that a company's stock isn't just going to keep growing forever. At some point it WILL reach a plateau. Has APPL seen said plateau? I don't know. But it's silly to expect APPL to be constantly going up, up, up.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It's not just their parks though. (And this isn't a 'family' survey anyway...) I don't know if you've ever dealt with their cruise lines or home video departments or local stores, but every interaction I've had customer service wise has always been prompt, professional, and friendly. For the size of their company, I think they're managed pretty well. What can I say? :)

I have been to their stores and I am familiar with their cruise lines, although I've never been on them. I am not necessarily trying to put a damper on Disney but there is a reason why they have dropped significantly in the list of most admired companies. Disney is amazing but they haven't changed their formula much since I was a kid. When tech companies are on the top and Disney is at the bottom that says a lot about them remaining neutral for too long. Disney is hardly talked about in regards to current events, nor does the stock market talk much about them. Sure, there's only one Disney but it doesn't mean there's not room for improvement. As far as vacation spots, Vegas has taken precedence a lot in the past few years. A perfect place for kids and adults. Carnival gets a lot of business in terms of cruises. Disney bought Pixar because they knew it was good competition for them. It's not like Disney has no competition. They could stand to up their game. Don't look at me, look at the messenger who created the list.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Carnival gets a lot of business in terms of cruises.

Of all the cruise lines you picked (and there are a few big players) you chose to go with the one that has had the worst publicity in years?

And I disagree with your assertion. There are certain core brands you don't hear much because there isn't much controversy. Coke, Pepsi, Disney, etc - all core brands that aren't in the "big" news daily because they do what they do. And many can be admired based on the reserved set of criteria.

IBM is on that list. They are admired. Why? Because how many 100 year old tech companies are still going as strong as IBM?

Disney, faults and all, is still a mainstay. An institution.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Suck it, Samsung!! :cool:

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

No, they're on the top "I paid $500 to stand in a line for 40 minutes in 90 degree heat, so I can sit on a ride for 4 minutes, that dumps into a gift shop" list...

Nah Apple would be on that list. I paid $500 to wait in a line for 4 days to get a phone that's a little longer than last years model. Now I'm real cool :cool:

Google would've won if that didn't blatantly steal so much of our private info and sell it.

Yup, Google is the only company to do that...:rolleyes:

Are you referring to Google Glass? I think that's going to sell about as well as the Nexus Q and if they're lucky, Google TV.

You should be one of those "analysts."

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Really?

Apple i can understand but the rest of the list is dreadful!

It's obviously a US based survey but starbucks has a very low rating in the UK as do many of the other companies.

Admired for what you have to ask, admired from profit margins as they circumvent tax with illegal schemes and underpay their employees.

No thanks that list is junk.

----------

What information has google stole? What private info have they sold?

Remember the Adverts they used to track our internet history. Then all the data they accumulate on social networks, yep they make a good living selling your every bit your create online. Now whether that is 'private' is another matter but they are definately pushing the envelope on legality in all areas and making a profit hand over fist.

You only have to look at the copyright info of about 6 million books they stole as they scanned them for keyword searches and no matter who you are that is illegal.

Google mean well but they really aren't the nice admirable company their goofey coloured letters portray.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Carnival gets a lot of business in terms of cruises.

Oh I totally get what you're saying, and by and large I agree, I just read some initial statement responses that seemed surprised they were still in there at all.

And for what it's worth, Disney Cruises killed the other cruise lines in recent satisfaction surveys. ;-)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
----------

[/COLOR]

Remember the Adverts they used to track our internet history. Then all the data they accumulate on social networks, yep they make a good living selling your every bit your create online. Now whether that is 'private' is another matter but they are definately pushing the envelope on legality in all areas and making a profit hand over fist.

You only have to look at the copyright info of about 6 million books they stole as they scanned them for keyword searches and no matter who you are that is illegal.

Google mean well but they really aren't the nice admirable company their goofey coloured letters portray.

What's amazing is your lack of knowledge on the subject. What started out questionable for the book scanning was legitimized later in court.

As for private information - they don't sell it. Period.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
The negative critics are all drowning in their own 12ft deep ego pools. "Apple is DOOMED (garble garble garble)". Here comes the lifeguard to save them. Lifeguard says "you again?". Their only response "No longer applicable! No longer applicable!". The rescued person of self-victimization kicks the lifeguard in the groin and runs off with eyes and ears covered shouting out more non-sense. (lifeguard cries out "Bullocks!")

This is sort of a joke so don't take it seriously.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
World's most admired companies?

That list has Soutwest Airlines, an American airline that, correct me if I'm wrong, only flies in the US. Most of the World has no clue what that company does, and definitely has not interacted with the brand at all.

It's an entirely American-centric ranking.

This is like the World Series in baseball...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.