Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today, Apple revealed to TechCrunch that the company has sold more than 8 million iPads to educational institutions worldwide, accounting for some 6.6% of total iPads sold, with 4.5 million of those to U.S. based schools.

In a number of Apple's quarterly earnings calls over the past couple of years, Apple executives have repeatedly shared details of large transactions to educational institutions and of an iPad adoption rate by educational institutions that was unlike any Cook had seen before.

educationipad.jpg
In the Q3 2012 conference call, the company noted that a school district in Texas purchased 11,000 iPads, and then went on to talk about the recent price drop of the iPad 2 to $399:
I think it's particularly helping in K-12. The adoption rate of iPad in education is something I'd never seen from any technology product in history. Usually, education tends to be a fairly conservative institution in terms of buying or K-12 does and we're not seeing that at all on the iPad.
Though the 8 million number is impressive, Apple has been in talks with the Turkish government over a $4.5 billion deal that would provide as many as 15 million tablets to schoolchildren in that country.

Apple today said that 1 billion pieces of free content have been downloaded from its iTunes U service since its inception.

Article Link: Apple Has Sold 8 Million iPads to Worldwide Educational Institutions

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not surprised. The iPad is relatively affordable and it is Apple's most durable computing product. It is hard to break one.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I wish we had iPads in school, I would've paid so much more attention. :(
On a second thought, probably not that much more. :D

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
If used right, it can be a very powerful tool. My daughter is using an iPad in school and got from the reading tutor software to improve her reading skills - it really improved her reading and the fun in doing it by a lot. It all depends in using the right software (there is unfortunately too much bad software from people trying to make a quick dollar - but there is good one too)

Also starting next school year they do a pilot program where they start replacing physical text books with corresponding iPad editions. They still will have the physical book in school (at least initially), but they no longer have to carry tons of books forth and back every time and it will eliminate the problem that they 'forget' the book needed for the homework (I know, that's my daughters fault, but still, it helps). If the pilot is successful, they might go ahead and no longer use the physical text book - but depends on how all of that is working out.

Advantages will be:
- more fun (hopefully)
- quicker update cycles than 'printed' text books
- more interactive content
- cheaper in the long run

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
AND yet not one of those iPads was reduced in price with an educational discount. Way to go apple, you greedy bastards. :(

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
My university purchased a lage batch of new ipads a month ago- top spec ones with GPS and 3G for our undergraduates. I was about to issue them to my students.....only to be told by our IT people that they had all been stolen from a 'secure' area. We still have our old Mobile Windows PDA devices that nobody in his right mind would want to steal.

Haust

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2011
School districts are buying thousands of iPads using bond money, which is being financed over 30 to 50 years in some cases. Tax payers will end up paying $4000 + for iPads that will last...., well you tell me how long an iPad in the hands of children are good for?

lwapps

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I'm not surprised. The iPad is relatively affordable and it is Apple's most durable computing product. It is hard to break one.

It is real easy to blend though

----------

My university purchased a lage batch of new ipads a month ago- top spec ones with GPS and 3G for our undergraduates. I was about to issue them to my students.....only to be told by our IT people that they had all been stolen from a 'secure' area. We still have our old Mobile Windows PDA devices that nobody in his right mind would want to steal.

Haha I guess that is one advantage of those old things.

----------

Haha I guess that is one advantage of those old things.

beejam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
AND yet not one of those iPads was reduced in price with an educational discount. Way to go apple, you greedy bastards. :(
Our district got a discount on a volume purchase. Wasn't much of a discount, but then again our purchase was small compared to others. (15 to 20 I think)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.