Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Exactly, and this is why I posted. Approvals obviously can and do happen. You don't think anyone here might have benefitted from confirmation of it? If I had only went by everything I read here about it being impossible to unlock under contract, I'd still have a locked phone and still be paying through the nose on my next trip to China or still not be able to use my iPhone there. What's the downside here to ATT getting a flurry of unlock requests? They evaluate each request per their criteria and some get approved and some don't.

Not really no. I think you got lucky. And even then I'm not sure why. I would expect any successful early unlock request to be something granted during a phone call. Not with an actual submission via their site.

I don't think it does any good saying you got lucky. Personally I would have kept this to myself. Now people on here will flood AT&T with requests and I'm quite certain that most if not all will be denied.

Pillar

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
CA.
May I ask how are some of you sending in for unlock request besides calling? I remember I had a iPhone 4 or 4S unlocked via chat. I have a off contract 4S I would like to unlock.

Thanks in advance

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's AT&T for ya.
Theres times even when your iphone is out of contract they will deny your request and times like this that will unlock on contract devices.
Not impossible or lying like some stated. Just gotta get lucky I guess.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I don't know why you guys are wasting your time waiting for AT&T to approve or deny your unlock requests.

Swiftunlocks.com. $2. Done within 24 hours whether you're in contract or not.

Yes. I had my two week old 4S purchased under contract through AT&T unlocked by these guys. Very good and you can't beat $1.99.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
That's pretty rude! Fact is, you were not approved!

Nonetheless, details as I previously stated and below is the notice I received.

Request number: XXXXXXX
Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock.

To complete the unlock, simply:

Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.
After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.
Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

You may also check the status of your unlock request by clicking the link for AT&T's Device Unlock Status Portal.

For questions regarding AT&T's wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.

We thank you for your continued business.

Sincerely,
AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.

Anyone could have typed that up...just putting it out there.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Well I got my iPhone 5 in oct. and after reading this thread I sent AT&T a request to have mine unlocked and they accepted it. Going to wait until to tomorrow to restore but they accepted my request. I really think it has to do with how many years you have been with them. We have been with AT&T circular and bellsouth for something like 15 years or more.

Last edited:

DEG1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2013
N. Chicago Burbs
Well I got my iPhone 5 in oct. and after reading this thread I sent AT&T a request to have mine unlocked and they accepted it. Going to wait until to tomorrow to restore but they accepted my request. I really think it has to do with how many years you have been with them. We have been with AT&T circular and bellsouth for something like 15 years or more.

Congrats BMAC!!

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
No problem here either, premier account forever and four lines with international travel on my primary line.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

Tried it also and worked for me no problem. Been with Att forever as well. Got the same email as OP this morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.