Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Once again, Google has messed with their settings and now when you do an image search and click on a thumbnail in the search results taking you to the black-framed photo viewer it no longer gives you the option to see the full size image. Before you could click "view image" or something in the top right corner of the blurry preview and it would display in full resolution. Now, although most of the images are no longer blurry, and many of them full size, there is just an "x" in the top right corner and so you can't see any image bigger than the size alotted by the image viewer.

Before you tell me that is the full size, while many of them are there were still plenty of images that were too large to view entirely in the screen. You would have to scroll left and right to see the rest of it.

Last edited:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
You can't view any larger on the browser anymore, but if you save the image to your camera roll, it will save the full resolution of that image (before you had to view the full resolution image to save the full resolution)

img0274g.png

screenshot20130228at122.png

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
You can't view any larger on the browser anymore, but if you save the image to your camera roll, it will save the full resolution of that image (before you had to view the full resolution image to save the full resolution)

img0274g.png

screenshot20130228at122.png
Ok cool thanks. I guess that is better that you don't have to click it, but don't you think it's annoying how Google keeps messing with their settings, often changing stuff for the worse?

Tomeq

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Whats better on it?! It loads every image in full size (instead of thumbnails), and if you want to see picture in "real" full size, you have only 2 options - save it to the albums, or load the full page with all the mess aruound. So its much slower and it eats much more data than before... So I'm asking WHY? Whats the sense of this change?!!

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Whats better on it?! It loads every image in full size (instead of thumbnails), and if you want to see picture in "real" full size, you have only 2 options - save it to the albums, or load the full page with all the mess aruound. So its much slower and it eats much more data than before... So I'm asking WHY? Whats the sense of this change?!!

Wow I didn't think about that, damn. So my first instinct was right, Google is absolutely retarded!!

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I much prefer the old way of displaying the images. The new method is very frustrating (to me).

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Which app are you using to view EXIF data?

That's iPhoto on OS X.

And yeah, I find it extremely annoying that Google insists on changing their website design so damn often and seemingly for no reason, both on desktop and mobile.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
That's iPhoto on OS X.

And yeah, I find it extremely annoying that Google insists on changing their website design so damn often and seemingly for no reason, both on desktop and mobile.
Yeah have you noticed they changed the format of their business listings when you do a search?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Once again, Google has messed with their settings and now when you do an image search and click on a thumbnail in the search results taking you to the black-framed photo viewer it no longer gives you the option to see the full size image. Before you could click "view image" or something in the top right corner of the blurry preview and it would display in full resolution. Now, although most of the images are no longer blurry, and many of them full size, there is just an "x" in the top right corner and so you can't see any image bigger than the size alotted by the image viewer.

Before you tell me that is the full size, while many of them are there were still plenty of images that were too large to view entirely in the screen. You would have to scroll left and right to see the rest of it.

Just click the link directly under the image:

View attachment 400225

Should work for most images.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 634

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I just checked on my iPhone and I still have the full-size button.

Weird.

Many web sites won't update everyone at once, but in waves to make sure it is running smoothly before going live like Facebook did w the timeline

----------

View attachment 400225

Yea but then you have to wait for the full website to load which eats up bandwidth and data and most importantly time

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Many web sites won't update everyone at once, but in waves to make sure it is running smoothly before going live like Facebook did w the timeline

----------

Yea but then you have to wait for the full website to load which eats up bandwidth and data and most importantly time

I've tried and most load only the image.

motofabio

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
I sometimes get the old style two-buttons [Visit Website] [View Full Size]
-and-
I sometimes get the new style (x)

What is the difference? Well, what do we do with images?

1 - Use the image to find the right website.
2 - Look at them in thumbnails and full res, then exit.
3 - Save them locally to view/share later.
4 - Share them via URL hot-linking.

The only real change is to #4. The old style allowed us to open the image in a new window, all by itself. With the new style, you have to open the webpage, then IF you can find the image, tap and hold to open it in a new window to grab the URL.

Why would Google do this?! The answer is simple. As with everything else, it's money. By opening the webpage instead of directly opening the image in a new window, the website delivers you an ad and thus further feeds Google's massively growing ad business. That's why they changed the layout.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I sometimes get the old style two-buttons [Visit Website] [View Full Size]
-and-
I sometimes get the new style (x)

What is the difference? Well, what do we do with images?

1 - Use the image to find the right website.
2 - Look at them in thumbnails and full res, then exit.
3 - Save them locally to view/share later.
4 - Share them via URL hot-linking.

The only real change is to #4. The old style allowed us to open the image in a new window, all by itself. With the new style, you have to open the webpage, then IF you can find the image, tap and hold to open it in a new window to grab the URL.

Why would Google do this?! The answer is simple. As with everything else, it's money. By opening the webpage instead of directly opening the image in a new window, the website delivers you an ad and thus further feeds Google's massively growing ad business. That's why they changed the layout.

I miss the view website, view image. But it's not just that, it's the actual page that's ridiculous now, the search page just has the desktop version before you click on the images, which go on forever, whereas before you just had a few lines of images per page, but now it too many per page before you even get into this new awful format with the white cross

View attachment 400225

That just takes you to the site page on mine, and not the actual image. That is the problem, there is no choice to do that any more, you can only go to page it came from and then hunt for the image on a desktop type page instead of going to the actual image like you did before.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I hate the new way as well. I noticed it almost immediately.

They are trying to prevent hot linking without viewing the webpage. People were eating up sites bandwidth without even visiting the site. I think its a decent compromise in there approach though.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
I hate the new way as well. I noticed it almost immediately.

They are trying to prevent hot linking without viewing the webpage. People were eating up sites bandwidth without even visiting the site. I think its a decent compromise in there approach though.

I think if enough people feel the way we do about it, people won't even bother using images from their phone anymore. I certainly won't. It's useless to me now. Great shame, It was good before.

ReLyt

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Ok, so I tried the saving thing. I saved a picture and it gave me the low resolution version. What now?

stikman

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2010
Yup, google images is sucking now. Have to find a work around. ( I gotta think it is a corporate war, and "to hell with the customers") Google is getting bloated with crap, they could morph into a Yahoo clone if they dont get a grip. Safari/iP5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.