Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
12D68 is the current latest. The win8 boot camp drivers aren't up on the server yet as of this post either. Also, I've been noticing some weirdness in safari under this one, so it's not a sure thing that they're close to final release.

I've also experienced weirdness with Safari, as well as intermittent issues with wi-fi. Expected another beta last week, maybe this week. This one is taking a long time, but I always prefer them to release when it's ready and not to a schedule.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Anyone thinks Apple might have an event mid-March, before Easter to introduce OS X 10.9? At the end or a day before, 10.8.3 will be released as the last point upgrade for ML

Apple didn't have an event for 10.8, so unless 10.9 is a huge reworking of the OS it seems unlikely that they will have an event for it.

Even if they did, it's at 6 months until release. I couldn't see them not release another 10.8.x in that time.

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
12D74 now - anyone in a hurry for this? get settled in, we may be here a while...

i think this is the GM version. naming from apple is different than previous versions, now named seed also.
testing upgrade in my vmware fusion image

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Boot Camp 5.0.2

I have updated to 10.8.3 . Boot Camp fails to copy to the USB. Any ideas?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I have updated to 10.8.3 . Boot Camp fails to copy to the USB. Any ideas?

Not sure but I already have windows 8 installed and it says it can only download windows 7 drivers for my machine. That and it still hasn't finished downloading those since yesterday evening (over 12 hours downloading and half way through) :(

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Not sure but I already have windows 8 installed and it says it can only download windows 7 drivers for my machine. That and it still hasn't finished downloading those since yesterday evening (over 12 hours downloading and half way through) :(

I supose it´s the Apple way we are used to in the last years.... :confused::confused:

KitKaramak

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
THE FIX for Windows8!

For those of you who have E.D.A.D.D. (Electronic Device Attention Deficit Disorder) HERE IS THE TL;DR version:
You'll need a Windows7 disc and you gotta switch it at the bootmenu after you make the mac think you're doing bootcamp with Windows 7. Switch to the Windows8 disc, proceed as normal.

Here's the original version I wrote for people who want to know exactly what to do, step by step. Don't mind my sparkling repartee. :D

Ladies and Gents, have no fear! I've come to you with a solution!!

Oh, and Happy St. Patrick's Day. I hope you're all drunk instead of reading this thread right now. In which case, you'll see it with a hangover on the 'morrow.

Let's get down to brass tacks because this whole glitchy situation is GRODY TO THE MACs, MAN!

When you insert your Windows 8 disc, Mountain Lion 10.8.3 currently reports that you need to take a hike and come back with a Windows 7 disc. Boo Hiss.
We feel lied too by Apple. But it's JUST A GLITCH.

First of all, GO TO THE APPLE WEBSITE or Google AND DOWNLOAD BOOTCAMP 5 DRIVERS.

This can be accomplished HERE: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

Why? Because it still auto-downloads Bootcamp4.0 drivers to your flash drive. More glitchy bad-ness.

Next!!
Get yourself a Windows 7 disc! Personally, I have an upgrade disc for Windows 7 Pro, but it's NOT the full OS. Moving on...

Insert the Windows 7 disc. Suddenly, OSX (10.8.3) lets you proceed. When it starts the REBOOT process, HOLD DOWN YOUR "OPTION" KEY!! It says "alt" on the top and "OPTION" on the bottom, it's between the control and command keys, next to your space bar (for some of you who will find this threat because you're a newbie but you know how to ask Google to search for help).
You hold in said 'option' key while your mac reboots, and... if you don't let it go... you'll be awarded with the boot menu!!

Now, KINDLY REMOVE... your Windows7 disc. AND THEN... put your Windows 8 disc INTO THE DRIVE. When the icon shows up, click on the windows 8 disc. (Ignore the EFI option, and the Mac and recovery options).

You'll get to your install screen and one of the options available to you will be called PARTITION (number (mine was 4, for example)) BOOTCAMP. You will need to hit 'advanced' at the bottom and then FORMAT THE ONE LABELED BOOTCAMP. Don't be alarmed: It will remove the label "bootcamp" but the partition number will remain the same (again, mine was 4. Dunno what yours will be, but don't forget it for goodness sake). Then you will tell windows 8 to install onto that spot.

PROCEED NORMALLY. WHen finished, and at your windows 8 desktop, option your folder labeled BOOTCAMP5 that you installed onto your USB flash drive or external drive... and LOAD UP THEM DRIVERS!

At the bottom, there will be an icon for bootcamp. You'll need to go into this and change the settings to support your favorite features (like which OS you want to boot into natively, else you can always just let it make Windows your main gig, and hit the OPTION key when you wanna boot into Mac OSX), and you'll also need to change your trackpad settings so you can use the lower right side as the secondary click, or to use the two-finger secondary click, the way it's done in OSX, etc. Once all your favorite settings are set... YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. THIS SHIZNIT IS DONE.

Okay, I think I covered everything clearly, concisely, and as bluntly as possible.

GO FORTH AND COMPUTE!
And, yes... I made up a MacRumors account just to offer my option. Sorry it sucks if you don't have a windows 7 disc handy... download the ISO and slap that puppy onto a disc - borrow an external dvd drive from someone - any brand will work... do what you gotta do, even if you gotta link it up to your desktop and bogart off that system's optical drive. ALRIGHTY THEN!

PS: I just did this about 45 minutes ago. The whole thing. Just to make sure it worked the way I said it would. Booyah. It worked. :apple:

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Uhhhh... No. I updated to 10.8.3, started boot camp utility, it made a USB stick from my windows 8 ISP just fine, put the win8 driver pack on it, and installed both flawlessly, no workarounds needed.

KitKaramak

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Interesting. Must be certain computers. For me, the 2010 Macbook Unibody DID require a workaround. To be sure, I tried installing W8 on my Macbook Retina. It didn't have any issues. I didn't complete the installation because I want that notebook to stay OS-X only due to drive limitations (I use the OWC half-TB drive chip).

However, the 2010 Unibody does NOT allow it, so I had to "work around", so to speak.

Some things I've noticed with the Unibody running W8. And some of this is weird.

The Bootcamp 5 drivers... some of them crash the computer. (Like, when I hit the brightness button... bam. Kernel Panic / BSOD) ...so I reverted to BC4.0 build that Apple forced on me.

Also, BC5.0 would not install unless I installed the drivers one at a time.

Another oddity... Chrome crashes the system. Total freeze. But only when I'm in the IMPORT BOOKMARKS screen.

Uhm, let's see... finally, I had another W8 crash while trying to install a Bootcamp5 driver, I don't recall which one (I think it was for the trackpad) and, low 'n behold, it crashed the computer so badly, it wouldn't boot at all, until I reset the SMC. :confused:

However, now that I've uninstalled Chrome (but not before importing all my chrome bookmarks over to FireFox, heh), and uninstalled BC, then re-installed BC4.0 fresh... everything is fly again.

We all know that W8 will run on crap-tastic hardware. (It was designed for tablets with underwhelmingly underpowered tablet-ty hardware goodness)... I'm not sure why there would be driver conflicts for older Macbooks (let alone a 2010), so... whatever. It's running now, so... I'm leaving it alone. I don't want it on my Retina MBP (Even though it flies like whoa), because I'd rather have it on my MB10Uni, with a 1TB drive.

That leaves us at... wondering what Apple is thinking and why we can't just install whatever we want on whatever we want to use. If I wanna run XP, Vista, Windows 2000 or Linux Mint13, then that's what I want to do... but Apple likes making things a little difficult... and that's okay.

But a lot of people have been saying that even with 10.8.3., the OS prompts them to use W7; they won't be able to proceed with W8 and I hope that my workaround, as simplistic as it was, will help someone. ^_^

Odd, though, that some machines are blocked and some aren't. Sense, what're you running that it didn't give you any grief? I want to validate my assumption here about the older computers - my curiosity senses are tingling.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Mid '12 MBA, so pretty new. I'm assuming you've just answered your Own question as to why its blocked on some machines; you've had several cases of stability issues, one so bad it screwed the machine up until you did the SMC reset. If these problems arose during testing, apple likely would refuse to put their name on it; better to just say sorry it won't work than have the Internet (and this forum especially) using buggy drivers you didn't even write as an excuse to lambast you and talk of your inevitable demise.

KitKaramak

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Apparently so. I just updated the Nvidia driver from 306 to 314. Okay... so... it would crash windows 8 shortly after boot up. If i used an external mouse it was fine but the second I touched the trackpad ...crash.

I don't get it. People have run W8 successfully on these machines. If I could have removed the darn drivers and used W8 generic ones, it would have been fine but I couldn't get back to that stage and the bootcamp drivers were working in cahoots... yeah, I said cahoots. As in, once I changed one of them (like the Nvidia 320m driver I just mentioned), any other apple driver would cause W8 to crash (in this case, the trackpad). It was becoming unmanagable. As of right now, Windows 7 pro is at 7%, "expanding Windows Files".

I've had Windows 8 running on a Toshiba P25 from 2003. I've had it running on .askdjfl;kasjdf... the drivers, man. Sheesh.

Anyhow, that's it and that's all. I'll deal with W7 and the disgustingly gross amount of updates I'll have to do, now, to have the system up to date. *flails* I needed that like I need an 8th hole in my head.

Odd. Just odd. The 4.0 drivers work, but only if you don't update or upgrade any of them. ANd since I didn't know how they'd behave if I ever changed anything (firmware, framework, or whatever else updates), I decided it'd be better to use W7. :-\

Ah well. Silly as this might be but I wonder if it has anything to do with missing hardware. Or added hardware.

THink of it like this: Hackentosh computers had to be super specific. If you had an IDE jack on your motherboard, OSX would crash. Well, maybe these drivers are looking for something that's only used in the newest, latest computers. i5/i7 processor... or maybe the GPU INtel4000... or maybe the backlit keyboard. God only knows... but it has to be something that the drivers are looking for that's crashing the system and W8, while REALLY freakin' stable under normal conditions, couldn't handle this driver menagerie. Meh.

However, this means that W8 compatibility for a wider selections of MacBooks could become possible with 10.8.4/5 or 10.9 ...so... we shall see. In the mean time, it's 2am here and I'm back at square one, only 50% of the way through expanding windows files. :-/

G'night, y'all.

All I have to say for myself is: Lesson Learned.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Interesting. Must be certain computers. For me, the 2010 Macbook Unibody DID require a workaround.

That's probably because your computer doesn't support the new win8 bootcamp drivers.

MacBook Air (Mid 2011) or later
MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) or later (* MacBook Pro 13 inch-Mid 2010 is not supported)
Mac Pro (Early 2009) or later
Mac mini (Mid 2011) or later
iMac (Mid 2010 or later)

Some things I've noticed with the Unibody running W8. And some of this is weird.

The Bootcamp 5 drivers... some of them crash the computer. (Like, when I hit the brightness button... bam. Kernel Panic / BSOD).

Old ass bug. Should be fixed by disabling Generic PnP Monitor in device manager. Pretty sure this issue lies with nvidia. It might also be fixed if you update your drivers which are already old, Bootcamp 5 comes with 306 and the current version is 314. Also if I recall this is specific to 320's I know I had the same problem in my 13" 2010 macbook pro which also has the 320m.

BC5.0 would not install unless I installed the drivers one at a time.

That's because they don't want you installing it on Hardware that it doesn't support the OS properly.

You can work around this though.
1) Download drivers
2) Extract drivers
3) Run admin cmd prompt
4) cd to where you extracted the drivers + \BootCamp\Drivers\Apple
5) enter
Code:
msiexec -i Bootcamp.msi

The above method will allow you to run the bootcamp installer even on unsupported systems.

Another oddity... Chrome crashes the system. Total freeze. But only when I'm in the IMPORT BOOKMARKS screen.

Probably not actually chrome. It's most likely this bug: http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06/28/workaround-for-windows-8-freezing-issues/
Which can be fixed with this command in an admin cmd prompt:
Code:
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Uhm, let's see... finally, I had another W8 crash while trying to install a Bootcamp5 driver, I don't recall which one (I think it was for the trackpad) and, low 'n behold, it crashed the computer so badly, it wouldn't boot at all, until I reset the SMC. :confused:

Hmm odd. Anyways the trackpad drivers apple supplies are trash. Get trackpad++ and you'll never look back http://trackpad.powerplan7.com/.

That leaves us at... wondering what Apple is thinking and why we can't just install whatever we want on whatever we want to use. If I wanna run XP, Vista, Windows 2000 or Linux Mint13, then that's what I want to do... but Apple likes making things a little difficult... and that's okay.

Apple likes to offer an experience that "Just works" for the average user. If you want to run xp, vista, linux, etc... on a mac, you can, it's not Apples responsibility to make tools to guide users through such processess.

Odd, though, that some machines are blocked and some aren't. Sense, what're you running that it didn't give you any grief? I want to validate my assumption here about the older computers - my curiosity senses are tingling.

You're assumptions could have been easily answered by just reading the bootcamp driver system requirements on the download page :| Pretty much everything that's not "PRO" or newer than mid 2010 has been cut it's highly unlikely older machines will ever get full official support either.

nbc_the_more_you_know1-300x197.jpg

Odd. Just odd. The 4.0 drivers work, but only if you don't update or upgrade any of them. ANd since I didn't know how they'd behave if I ever changed anything (firmware, framework, or whatever else updates), I decided it'd be better to use W7. :-\

Don't give up that easily, I'm sure you could have gotten win8 to work fine on your machine. I've been running win8 since beta on a 13" macbook pro mid 2010 and I haven't had a problem with it for months, runs smooth as butter.

One note is that the win8 bootcamp 5 pack adds almost nothing to what bootcamp 4 offers. The only change I've seen is that volume and brightness Overlays now show up when using the keyboard.

If bootcamp 5 is really giving you huge problems then just use bootcamp 4.1 and a few custom drivers like trackpad++. I've been running win8 with the bootcamp 4.1 drivers for a long time without any big problems.

However, this means that W8 compatibility for a wider selections of MacBooks could become possible with 10.8.4/5 or 10.9 ...so... we shall see.

Sadly this will probably never happen. This is how they get you to buy new computers.

Last edited:

KitKaramak

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Quite so. It is how they get you to buy new computers. But if enough people gripe about a feature (like for Mountain lion to finally add ACVHD support for camcorder files, natively)... sometimes, just sometimes... it shows up.

I finally just slapped Windows 7 into place and it works. More than fine.

I like W8, don't get me wrong since a lot of people dislike it, but it's good with resource management and it's stable. And you don't have to download 170+ updates when you install it, like with W7. It took me half my afternoon just updating it, lol.

But... I've never tried Trackpad ++ ...is the experience a little more like what we're used to on OS-X? If so, I'll totally bite for it.

I mean, I'm using 4.0 now, and it works but... this is the first time I've heard of TrackPad++ and I'm certainly willing to give it a go.

Actually, I looked into the chrome thing a little deeper. Turns out it has something to do with the way the browser utilizes hardware acceleration - Windows driver worked fine. The Nvidia driver made it crash. FireFox and IE9 also use hardware acceleration but neither caused the OS to crash. Ah well. No harm, no foul - I've got W8 on the desktop and that's enough for me.

Again, thanks for the suggestion about the new Trackpad++; i'll give it a try. If you have any other advice, I'm totally wide open for the suggestions.

Normally, I don't have trouble with W8 on any computers, that's for sure.
I just had to be more selective about what drivers to use. But once I upgraded the Nvidia driver from Nvidia's website... it got to the point where W8 would crash as soon as it started booting in. I considered going in through safemode and fixing it but... I was already frustrated by this point. So I just went in, formatted the partition and dropped W7 in. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.