Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
You know why? Because people like to say "cannibalization."
"Excuse me, do you have cannibalization?" "We need more cannibalization." "Where is the cannibalization? No cannibalization?"

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Why does it make sense? Yet when people talk about the iPhone they want bigger? It makes no sense at all!

bigger screen and faster CPU/GPU is a non-issue with reading and kids' apps

i have an ipad 2 and plan on using it until it dies or my kindle books won't work on it anymore

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
yep makes sense... sold my iPad and got an iPad mini instead. It's just easier to handle.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
I bought my wife a Kindle Fire HD (7" tablet) for Valentine's Day and she *loves* it. This is after having both a MacBook and iPad 1 and iPad 4 to use.

The UI took a little getting used to, and its kinda pokey (both in UI responsiveness and overall speed) for playing some games that my kids liked on an iPad, but in general she really like the thing. She also loves the Amazon Prime video integration so she can watch her shows and the kids can be entertained for a little bit with their cartoons "for free."

We may end up getting iPad mini later this year just because its got the way better performance for playing games and such that my kids love (and we have already purchased on iOS devices).

The current iPad 4 is just way too heavy for a tablet and adding a cover it gets really bulky and you may just go for an Air of some size it seems.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
It will be interesting to see if the percentage of iPad vs iPad Mini changes at all when the revised form factor full size iPad is released (and possibly retina iPad Mini as well). I looked at the iPad Mini a bit ago and was amazed at how light it was, certainly a factor if you're going to be using it for a long period. If they can bring the weight of the full size down, more people may choose it.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
- Cheaper
- Lighter
- More portable
- Easier for smaller hands (women, kids)
- Easier to use with one hand
- Works better as an e-reader

Makes sense.
More portable? Goodness, goodness! And I could argue with you regarding your last point, I like the large fonts on my full-size iPad. Each device has its purpose but for my use (web browsing, music-making, reading, displaying photos) the bigger one is better.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
You know why? Because people like to say "cannibalization."
"Excuse me, do you have cannibalization?" "We need more cannibalization." "Where is the cannibalization? No cannibalization?"

It is a more educated way to say "eat me", I guess...

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I just think the iPad mini wasn't well thought-out. Apple should have created a different OS scale and UI controls for the device, because the way I want to interact with UI and content on that size of screen is different than the full-size iPad. That form factor is a different experience than either the full iPad or the iPhone, and it needs to be treated as such.

And the lack of retina display doesn't help matters.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Apple is DOOMED! Apple sold 60 million iPads last year. Now analyst projects sales of only 90 million the year after that. Dooooomed!!!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
People will buy whatever is cheaper. If they have to settle for a smaller screen, they will.

If this were true, Kindle Fires would outsell iPad Minis. So would some models of iPod Touch.

Fact is that the Mini is currently selling better than many people here expected it would sell if priced at the lower price of $299.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Of course the iPad Mini would sell like crazy. The number one barrier of entry to the iPad has always been the cost. Although it provides excellent value for the price, five hundred dollars is still alot of money to many people. Removing that barrier would of course bring in a flood of new customers.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
The other day there was a thread about the ipad vs the imac. I think over time most people wont need a desktop because they have something with all the power they need on the go. Right now that is a laptop. However the tablet, specifically the iPad, will soon be powerful enough to everything you need. but at the smaller form factor, the mini will never be a complete replacement, IMO. To me having the iphone, iPad, and iMac covers all my needs and the mini really does not fit in there. Maybe it does for the crowd that would go with iPhone, mini, MacAir.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
I have the iPad 4 (provided by the company) and bought a private iPad Mini in addition after trying one in a shop.

I actually use them both, but for different things. I mainly read magazines, newsfeeds and books, and do my email on the Mini. For Web surfing, document review and "advanced" apps (like iThoughts HD, OmniGraffle, OmniPlan, Pages, Keynote), I highly prefer the iPad 4 (well, an iPad 3 would do as well, I do not really see a benefit from the iPad 4 when using any of them, except when zooming in on huge PDFs).

With any of the advanced apps mentioned above, I can clearly see what Jobs meant when he talked about fingers being too big for a smaller screen size. My input errors with these apps increase tremendously on the Mini, to a point where the usability becomes un-Apple-like.

The only real benefit of the Mini is the weight, the size of the bigger iPad does not bother me, I actually prefer it. So, in the end, I am much more interested in a lighter big iPad, than in a Retina Mini. Even a Retina Mini will not make my fingers a better match. I do not really see developers optimizing apps for a third screen size (at least no developer of the apps I am using has made such an effort so far).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I have to say, that in spite of my earlier statements to friends and others, I find myself reaching for the iPad Mini more than the full size iPad. For some reason I find that seriously odd...

The Mini feels cheaper, it's not as heavy, and the screen isn't the best for outside, or close in fine detail reading, yet I still find it in my hands a lot...

I think Tim Cook, if he is to be slighted for anything, should be slighted for making the iPad Mini so light and plasticy, and using the cheaper screen. Well, and possibly for coming out with the damn thing in the first place.

Sure, Apple doesn't mind it when something of theirs cannibalizes the sales of another Apple product, but these numbers aren't a cannibalization, they are a mass murder...

What does that spell for the larger iPad? And further development, and what is the margin on the Mini vs the full size iPad? And when are the iPads going to get a screen that can be read outdoors in broad daylight? And an SD slot?

Now that he's created this mess, let's see him fix it...

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I'll go ahead and say it, the mini is a better device as a portable tablet. Just give it a Retina display and it'll be perfect. I was an iPad user from day one, got rid of mine when the mini came out and I don't miss it nor the Retina display one bit.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I've said this so many times that the mini would hurt the full size iPad. Are people ignorant?

And don't expect a $330 iPad mini with retina display. If Apple does that their only shooting themselves in the foot. It would sell like hotcakes but their full size iPad will collect dust.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
We should not forget that the new lighter thinner full size ipad with firm factor similar to ipad mini is right around the corner.!
The mix maybe a bit skewed for the time being. But once the new full size iPad hits the market. Things will turn around...
There is no question in my mind that in general the larger screen is much better.. Now reduce the weight and smaller frame around the screen and thickness.. It will be another blockbuster!

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
And don't expect a $330 iPad mini with retina display. If Apple does that their only shooting themselves in the foot. It would sell like hotcakes but their full size iPad will collect dust.

Then again ...
Cannibilization is a huge opportunity for us. We never fear it because if we do, someone else will do it.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I agree with those saying it's more about price than screen size. Maybe a bit of both, but I think the size factor is being over-estimated and the price factor is being under-estimated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.