Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring2theworm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Hi all, I recently deleted (unknowingly) one of my favorite playlists then sync'd my phone after and poof the playlist was gone. I tried searching and wasn't able to come up with a solution. I tried restoring iTunes from a backup in Time Machine so I could export the playlist, however in order to do the restore it needs to copy all my music to my internal HD which has nowhere near enough space left. Any ideas on how else I can solve this? Thanks in advance!

macmurphy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
omg, same here

exact same problem.
deleted a playlist i've been working on literally for years.

i can't believe i did this.
i can't believe i don't know how to undo it.
there has got to be a way!

please help.

i've got my TM backups, but no way i have enough free space to copy my whole iTunes library back... Do i have to actually delete my whole iTunes library before restoring it...? there's gotta be a less extreme way.

i have a second iMac which i can use as a data wheelbarrow or whatever... (was gonna do a clean OS X install on it anyway)

anyone?

ring2theworm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
I am in the same boat, I too had been working on the playlist for years. Didn't realize it was gone until I went to play it and it was gone from both my iTunes and phone. A complete delete and restore of iTunes hopefully isn't the only option... A friend recommended restoring the .xml file through time machine, however only my most current time machine backup shows the .xml, it's missing from all the past back ups. Any further help would be much appreciated!

macmurphy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
no hope in sight?

since no one has come to our rescue, i've decided to act.

This week (in all that spare time i don't have) i've been taking the necessary / precautionary / preparatory steps — using Migration Assistant to duplicate my entire iTunes library on a second iMac — in order to attempt my own ridiculously drastic rescue mission.

if all my files have been copied and backed up by tomorrow night, then i will delete my entire damn iTunes library on my original iMac. i will then say my prayers and enter Time Machine to restore from a backup from last month (when i'm sure my playlist was still there).

i will then cry myself to sleep while i wait for TM to copy the entire thing back again. and when i wake up in the morning i'll report my findings here.

Wish me luck, or talk me out of it...

macmurphy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Well, don't do what i did. Hours and hours of stress and waiting for nothing.
Restored entire iTunes folder from a two-month-old backup. The playlist is still gone.

macmurphy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Omfg

...it worked.

----------

[facepalm. x10]

----------

i followed the directions here:
http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/07/itunes-playlists-disappeared-recover-missing-itunes-playlists/

it's a relief to have my playlist back, of course, even though now i'll have to reconstruct the last two months of additions (fortunately all the songs are still there on the other mac). I'm curious about whether or not this would've worked before i went through all that ridiculous heavy lifting... (but i'm sure not gonna try to figure that out right now!)

anyway, thanks and good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.