Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azekecse

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
I encountered the same issue recently. I loved the Ipad Mini for its lightweight and the ability to hold it for a longer period of time vs the Ipad 4, not to mention I was also able to utilize the screen more efficiently due to its smaller size. However, two factors I considered which required me to switch to the Ipad 4. I am over 50 years of age, which requires a vision adjustment, (maybe Retina would have made a difference), secondly the larger screen was a factor, ( specs should also be a consideration).

I certainly enjoy my Ipad 4 (with the Zaggkeys Pro plus keyboard), although a tad heavier and larger, it definitely fits the needs of this quinquagenarian.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
So not only are your arms weak, but your skin is really delicate? I guess not needing a bag for you Mini is a relief because the strap would sever your arm.

Going outside must be scary. ;)

rofl!!! next we will be hearing someone broke a rib from all the weight of thee full size!!!!! lol.....

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
My purchase: I ordered an used iPad 4 WIFI + Cellular 64GB white today. The condition is described as "very good". It's about 1-2 month old. This purchase saved me 130€ to the Apple Store price. I hope it will be in the listed condition. I will find out in 2-3 days.

I missed a great deal of an refurbished iPad in the morning (not Applestore), it would have saved me 145€. But 130€ less is still a good deal.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Depends on your age. If you are older with aging eyesight, go for the larger tablet.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
My final decision: I went again in the electronic store of my small town yesterday and opened in Safari my most viewed sites. I had problems reading them on the iPad mini without zooming and some sites were to big for the iPad mini. I didn't had any problems reading without zooming on the iPad 4 and with my big strong hands, I also have no problems holding the iPad 4 in one hand and I am used to it with my parents iPad 2.

Therefore, I'll go with the iPad 4 Cellular. I got some good offers for the 32GB and the 64GB refurbished version from an electronic store in my country.

Although most of you chose the iPad mini. My decision is made. Thank you very much for all your helpful posts! :)

I chose the 4 over the mini and don't regret it. I don't think it's "heavy" and it does the work I need it to do while providing me with excellent graphics. Couldn't be happier. Only thing that bothers me is a light bleed on the side… need to find some time to get it replaced.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
I had the iPad 3, then took it back to get a mini. Had the mini for 28 days then I just returned it now to get the iPad 4. After 2 days of using it, wow it's monstrous and HEAVY. The screen is beautiful though, looks like silk. Feels like silk. Just a really good display. Now I'm debating on what to do, might take this back and after a couple weeks and hold out for the iPad mini 2. Faster processor and retina display on the mini is a no brainer.

Lethalis

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
More Expensive: iPad 4 > iPad Mini
Heavier: iPad 4 > iPad Mini
Better Battery: iPad 4 < iPad Mini
Thinner: iPad 4 < iPad Mini
Retina: iPad 4 > iPad Mini

Really, it's just whatever you're going to use it for, and how you're going to use it.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I had the iPad 3, then took it back to get a mini. Had the mini for 28 days then I just returned it now to get the iPad 4. After 2 days of using it, wow it's monstrous and HEAVY. The screen is beautiful though, looks like silk. Feels like silk. Just a really good display. Now I'm debating on what to do, might take this back and after a couple weeks and hold out for the iPad mini 2. Faster processor and retina display on the mini is a no brainer.

Indecisive much?

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
I got my used iPad 4 64GB WIFI + Cellular white about 20 minutes ago.

Although it's used, it looks like new. Display looks fine, checked it with a blanc page. It had no fingerprints on it, doesn't really matter, but it shows that it came very clean. The iPad was in the original package with everything inside. I am downloading the iOS 6.1 Update right now. The Apple warranty is still active for 10 month and I also got a 12 month warranty from the company where I bought it.

Axmann

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2009
Sounds like you took advice from the most qualified person: yourself. Wile all the opinions are valid, its always best to get your own paws on each and see which feels best for your needs and use.

Well done - i am sure you will love it :)
This.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
If you haven't owned any iPad yet, bearing in mind Apple's return policy I'd probably get both and use them for a week. Then decide which one I like the most and return the other one.

I own an iPad 3 right now, and I'm seriously considering a Mini whenever I decide to sell my current iPad and get a new one. (If the Mini gets retina display that is).

Only problem I see with the Mini (in my case) is when looking at technical PDFs. I got some that can't even be clearly seen in my iPad 3 and I need to zoom in. Can't imagine how horrible it would be with a Mini. :eek:

And the ones saying the regular iPad isn't heavy… It is heavy. There's no way you can get tired while using an iPhone. Using a full-sized iPad does eventually make your arms struggle. (If not laying on a table, lol)

I am sorry your parents bought you an iPad Mini for Christmas and you're trying to psychologically justify it.

Are you sure that isn't your case? Because you sound a little bit too aggressive. There are people who prefer a Mini over a regular iPad. Why? I don't know, they have their reasons. Not everyone who's got a Mini is crying at night willing to get rid of it and get an iPad 4.

kikima

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Richmond, VA
Also to answer the thread: I recently bought an iPad Mini for my mom and an iPad 4 for myself. The larger screen and the retina display is a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. Coming from years on the retina 4S and 5, reading text or playing games on the Mini isn't the same experience and it's definitely noticeable. I'm also a master's student and take my iPad with me to every class. I find it portable, light, and not bulky at all (in a Smart Cover) in my shoulder bag. My mom is 66 and enjoys the small size of the Mini as her media consumption pretty much is just With Friends games and Facetiming.

I say get the iPad 4.

TaylorMatsu

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
If you're stuck on the decision of buying something from apple i would just buy one and try it out then return it and get the other choice and try that out as well. Apple has a return policy of 30 days no questions asked which comes in handy, especially when you're dropping this kind of money on a device. I tried the mini and liked it, but I realized I preferred the larger screen of the 4 for videos, web browsing, Etc.

snowboardpunk

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2013
Im also kind of in the same situation. But Im going to use it as a laptop replacement basically. For those of you with the mini, can you split screen or is the screen resolution and size make it limited? I would probably have like a pdf file or a website on one side, and notes on the other while typing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.