Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Just received my Cyber Power PFC sinewave UPS and must say its brilliant!

When my iMac is switched off overnight, should I also turn off my UPS, so if there is a blackout overnight the alarm won't sound and wake me up. Or is it best to leave it on?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just received my Cyber Power PFC sinewave UPS and must say its brilliant!

When my iMac is switched off overnight, should I also turn off my UPS, so if there is a blackout overnight the alarm won't sound and wake me up. Or is it best to leave it on?

If you turn off everything connected to the UPS, it probably makes sense to turn off the UPS itself, too. If you're just worried about the alarm sound from the UPS, though you can turn the sound off by holding down the middle button below the LCD screen. :)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
If you turn off everything connected to the UPS, it probably makes sense to turn off the UPS itself, too. If you're just worried about the alarm sound from the UPS, though you can turn the sound off by holding down the middle button below the LCD screen. :)

Thanks for your reply. I thought you could only silence current alarms not future ones as well. Thanks for letting me know.

But as you said, everything connected to the UPS will be switched off so I guess I may as well turn the UPS off as well. Just wanted to check its safe to continuously turn the UPS on and off each morning/night?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Leave the UPS turned on at all times. It's probably not good for the battery since it needs to be fully charged. Also, when you shut down the iMac, it's not really completely off.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Leave the UPS turned on at all times. It's probably not good for the battery since it needs to be fully charged. Also, when you shut down the iMac, it's not really completely off.

This is true. It depends on how much the UPS will discharge the battery overnight. I'm guessing it's not very much. Personally, I'd just leave it all one. :)

----------

Thanks for your reply. I thought you could only silence current alarms not future ones as well. Thanks for letting me know.

Yep, future ones as well. :)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

This is true. It depends on how much the UPS will discharge the battery overnight. I'm guessing it's not very much. Personally, I'd just leave it all one. :)

----------

Yep, future ones as well. :)

That's great, I'm glad it mutes future alarms as well. I am just going to leave it on 24/7.

One quick question though, surely it won't discharge the battery? It says on the UPS that the battery will charge whether the UPS is turned on or not. So as long as its plugged in at the wall, it will charge whether the actual UPS is on or off.

I'll just keep it on and put the mute switch on. I'll have my iMac to switch off anyway by itself, so I don't need the alarm.

Thank you again! :D

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The UPS battery will charge as long as it's plugged in, and will trickle charge if fully charged. Switching off the UPS only switches off the load, power inverter, and voltage regulation circuits. The battery charging circuit is still active. UPS batteries are designed to be maintained at full charge, which will give them maximum operational life. Repeated deep discharges will reduce the life of these batteries.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
That's great, I'm glad it mutes future alarms as well. I am just going to leave it on 24/7.

One quick question though, surely it won't discharge the battery? It says on the UPS that the battery will charge whether the UPS is turned on or not. So as long as its plugged in at the wall, it will charge whether the actual UPS is on or off.

I'll just keep it on and put the mute switch on. I'll have my iMac to switch off anyway by itself, so I don't need the alarm.

Thank you again! :D

Yes, I guess there was some confusion. I thought you meant ... unplugging the UPS or something like that. If you just hold the power button down on the front of the unit it will switch off power to the computers etc, but not to the UPS battery, which of course is still charging from the wall.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
virginblue4, out of curiousity, what is the model number of your PFC Sinewave UPS? Thanks.

CyberPower PFC 1350 VA, however they the box states it is a 1500VA.

Yes, I guess there was some confusion. I thought you meant ... unplugging the UPS or something like that. If you just hold the power button down on the front of the unit it will switch off power to the computers etc, but not to the UPS battery, which of course is still charging from the wall.

Sorry for the confusion :)

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hehe no worries. By the way why did you get such a huge UPS for an iMac?

Well the smallest CyberPower one that is available in the UK is 850VA and that was out of stock and has been for a while and 1350VA was the only other option so I had to order that.

However, they actually sent me the 1500VA, so I can't complain :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well the smallest CyberPower one that is available in the UK is 850VA and that was out of stock and has been for a while and 1350VA was the only other option so I had to order that.

However, they actually sent me the 1500VA, so I can't complain :D

Hah not bad. :)

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I leave my UPS turned on 24/7 except when I will not be using the computer for long periods of time I shut down the UPS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.