Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Mine is on all the time.

I only ever switch it off when I go on holiday as the wife goes around the house and pulls all the plugs out of the walls before we leave. I prefer it to be off before she gets to my office.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Mine has been up for 9 minutes! Just got finished installing a new surge protector :cool:. Now it'll be up for YEARS!

Kroner

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
Norway
Beside the times when I need to reboot it for a software update, almost never.

Only times when I shut it down is when by the end of the day I am booted in Windows, I will turn it off instead of rebooting it back to OSX.
The only other time beside that is when I am leaving my home for awhile.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
Not usually, only when I am gone for a few days because of possible power outages. I typically just let it sleep.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
My Mac Air I never turn off, along with my iPad, as they are my go to devices. But my iMac I only turn on when I need it as I maybe use it twice a week.

krzykat

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
I only use it for a few hours each night so I turn it off once I am done. I have always turned off my computers once I'm done using them for the night.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I think turning on and off wears down the components more.

I have to agree, but sometimes I ask myself if coming back from sleep mode does wear the hardware in the same sense like booting.

When we talk about wear and tear, it's about temperature or better termal stress.

I never shut down my MBP. When it comes back from sleep, the CPU temperature rises from "zero" (think that the components are 18°C - room temperature) to 25°C and after 5 minutes it reaches 35°C.

Is this not the same temperature rising like booting?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think if you have a ssd or fusion drive and you don't need the mac you can shut down it runs quick off quick on, i think is no need to stay in idle for too long, you save some energy etc. If you have a standard hdd 5400 or 7200 rpm i think you can let it sleep but i think the waking up is the same time like a properly off on ? On my macbook air ssd i always turn it off and when i need it turn on because i have to wait only 13-14 sec. For a computer that takes like normal over 30-40 sec, yea i let it on all the time almost

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
I have to agree, but sometimes I ask myself if coming back from sleep mode does wear the hardware in the same sense like booting.

When we talk about wear and tear, it's about temperature or better termal stress.

I never shut down my MBP. When it comes back from sleep, the CPU temperature rises from "zero" (think that the components are 18°C - room temperature) to 25°C and after 5 minutes it reaches 35°C.

Is this not the same temperature rising like booting?

I dont know if what I do is good or bad, but with desktops where battery life is no issue, I set sleep to never, I only set turn off display after 5 mins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.