Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Forgive my ignorance, but why are all the new ultra thin TVs so much cooler than their thicker older technology predecessors?

Because of different lighting technology, etc., for instance, LED vs CCFL or smaller parts. The new ATD will likely be using the exact same panel, with a similarly rated PSU, and equivalent boards. I've seen the insides of both the new iMac and older ATD; don't expect much miniaturization of the parts, they'll just be crammed closer together.

Corato

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
I am waiting for USB3 and the reduced glare along with hopefully more Thunderbolt connections.

jcmendes

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2012
Portugal
Outdated!

If you guys have a new mac mini or a MBP 2012, linked to the ATB, has all the latest connections.

The monitor continues incrible....and if you can get a good price..mutch better by. ;)

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Had Best Buy pricematch Frys for a TB display at $799. I'm not going to wait for Apple to eventually release an updated one.

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm tired of waiting for the refresh. It's been silly to miss out on all of that screen space at home (13 inch MBPr) just in the hope that a display with the new panel is just around the corner.

If the new one was going to up the resolution, it might be a different story. However, all indications seem to be that the new ATD will just be thinner with less glare and a USB3 update. I can't say that any of those are deal breakers for me, so I might as well buy now.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Since i prefer a 24 inch display anyhow, i quit waiting and just ordered a dell ultra u2413 at $599 (less 10% for my leftover premium dell customer status).

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm tired of waiting for the refresh. It's been silly to miss out on all of that screen space at home (13 inch MBPr) just in the hope that a display with the new panel is just around the corner.

If the new one was going to up the resolution, it might be a different story. However, all indications seem to be that the new ATD will just be thinner with less glare and a USB3 update. I can't say that any of those are deal breakers for me, so I might as well buy now.

I bought the 13" rMBP on launch in October. I was tempted to add the Thunderbolt Display having had the 27" iMac beforehand, but held off expecting a refresh sooner than later. If I knew I'd still be without one in March, I probably would've just bought one then, but now I feel like I've waited so long, I might as well just keep waiting.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I think at this point, it's a safe bet they will launch with the 2013 Mac Pros that are launching this year.

Last edited:

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I bought the 13" rMBP on launch in October. I was tempted to add the Thunderbolt Display having had the 27" iMac beforehand, but held off expecting a refresh sooner than later. If I knew I'd still be without one in March, I probably would've just bought one then, but now I feel like I've waited so long, I might as well just keep waiting.

It's funny you say that because after I loaded my cart online, I relented and decided to wait as well. I'll just continue to "suffer" with my 13 inch retina screen.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
It's funny you say that because after I loaded my cart online, I relented and decided to wait as well. I'll just continue to "suffer" with my 13 inch retina screen.

I wish I had your "suffering" on a 13 inch retina!

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA

Well, I look at it like I've had 4+ months to enjoy the main reason I bought the 13" rMBP --- for the RETINA display!:p

Now that I'm "used to" Retina and the novelty has worn off a bit, I'm ready for it's big screen companion. Whenever the new TBD gets released, I will be ready to buy it.

keogh

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Welling, UK
I'm definitely waiting now, sods law tells me that if I were to buy the current TBD, they would release the new one a few days later so no way am I going through that pain.

Besides, I have my Mac Mini going in to my 27" iMac via MDP and it's working a treat. I have Windows Bootcamp running on my Mac Mini, if I want OS X I simply hit CMD+F2 and I'm in!

But I do really want the new TBD so I can have both side by side... and it has to be a TBD for me, no Dell display as I need the spare ThunderBolt port for future daisy chaining!

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
As photographers the last thing we want is a matte monitor. Just try to do detailed editing or sharpening on a matte/diffused screen.:eek:

Or just be better photographers and not have to do either! :D

j/k...it was just too easy not to go for it! ;)

JaG8or

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
Orlando, FL
Just FYI, Best Buy put them on sale $949...

Anytime I have seen an Apple product go on sale at Best Buy, it usually was preceding an update being released...how long that is, no idea...

metier

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
Anytime I have seen an Apple product go on sale at Best Buy, it usually was preceding an update being released...how long that is, no idea...

Bought one for my wife a couple months ago, from Best Buy for $949. And been watching the price for the last 6 to 8 months. Best Buy seems to lower the price to $949 every other week.

Pat

gevezex

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
Most probably there will be a new mac pro aannounced with the coming WWDC.

What is the chance that there will also be a thinner new Cinema Display with tis mac pro?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Only if screen production can supply to both IMacs and ATD. iMac has higher priority. A new ATD would make a good accessory for the new Mac Pro.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I'm still waiting for the new update ATD. Been waiting for over half a year. Probably won't see anything until this fall. Still waiting.

badcrc32

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
waiting with you

I'm still waiting for the new update ATD. Been waiting for over half a year. Probably won't see anything until this fall. Still waiting.

Yep I am waiting with you. I want to be happy not settle your right in your choice. Right here with ya brotha:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.