Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
The main feature of the mini is its screen size, not its thickness. If one is happy with that, why go bigger?

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Say the full-sized iPad is released to be as thin as the mini - would you make the switch/switch back? Why or why not?

If they could make the 27" iMac as thin as the mini, I'd just slip that into my bag. After all, it's all about the thickness.

Anyone know where I can buy a 50 mile extension lead?

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I would be tempted.....I love my iPad 3, and the thickness is fine but if I could get a screen as good in a noticeably lighter package, while retaining the quality build feel, I might be persuaded to part with some cash for that.

richy d

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
No, as its not the thinness that makes the ipad mini my tablet of choice, its the actual overall size of it that makes it that appeals.

The only thing that wil make me change the device is if they create a retina version of the mini.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I haven't used the Mini, but the reason why I kept the iPad 2 over upgrading to the iPad 3 was the thinness. If the iPad becomes more portable, I'd definitely go with that. The bigger screen is just more enjoyable when you want to share with other people.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It's not just how thin it is, it's the height and width of it. And as for that, a slightly thicker Mini wouldn't be an issue either.

So to answer you question. No, I won't be switching away from the Mini. At least not for my current usage. And I don't foresee needing the larger iPad in the future.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
For me it is a weight thing - if the iPad 5 manages to make it weigh substantially less then yes I would use the iPad 5.

The thing that really surprised me about the mini is that because of the proportions being the same I don't find myself missing that bigger screen.

Video playback and drawing apps seem to be the only two situations where a bigger screen is useful - can others think of reasons why a bigger screen benefits - when you don't see anymore because everything is just bigger.

Is it just me or why would you want a bigger screen if everything is just scaled bigger? It's like owning a bigger laptop screen because you need to up the resolution from normal to old person size ...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Video playback and drawing apps seem to be the only two situations where a bigger screen is useful - can others think of reasons why a bigger screen benefits - when you don't see anymore because everything is just bigger.

Is it just me or why would you want a bigger screen if everything is just scaled bigger? It's like owning a bigger laptop screen because you need to up the resolution from normal to old person size ...
And photo viewing would be affected by screen size as well.

The other real reason is viewing distance.

Other than that I agree that the Mini is just fine for a lot of applications.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
yea photos are another one - you can pinch in and see alot of detail with the bigger iPad.

Since iPads are touch devices I won't be using it that far away (unlike mouse/keyboard devices)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
yea I've heard that and I don't understand it that much - I pinch in and focus on just the part of the page anyways - even on the bigger iPad - but everyone's browsing habits are different.

Even on the big iPad I prefer to use the Reader button in the URL bar when possible.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
It's not just about the thickness as you'd need a much bigger bag.

But you haven't seen his bag. ;)

For me it's not just about the thickness, but also about the screen size - I'll never give up my mini (except for a better mini), but I am certain the larger iPad if it gets the mini treatment would be a stunning device, even better than it is today.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Say the full-sized iPad is released to be as thin as the mini
Nope, I didn't by the mini because it was thin, but rather its a 7" Tablet. It appears lots of people are buying the mini for this reason. See MR story

Its thin and that's great, but the real utility comes into play because its a 7" tablet. I can easily fit the tablet in my coat pocket, use it with one hand while I'm commuting on the subway. I cannot do that with the larger iPads.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The current iPad is thin enough, but I'd love for it to be lighter. I prefer the larger screen because its easier on my eyes (I have vision problems so I'm always setting fonts to be bigger, even on the 9.7 inch screen), and touch targets are easier to hit. I have mobility issues so I suspect this is a bigger problem for me than for most able-bodied people. I also think that for the same reason, a larger screen is better for very young children who have yet to fully develop muscle coordination. I don't have any clothing with pockets big enough for the mini, and while the mini's smaller size does make it easier to handle, I suspect that if the iPad 5 is significantly lighter than the 3, I'd ditch the mini and go back to carrying the full sized iPad. I'd definitely buy the 5 when it comes out, and we'll see whether the 5 or the mini wins out as my out-of-home device.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Yes, as much as I like the Mini, the screen size is too close to the size of the iPhone, so I would like a 9.7 inch display with the same thickness as the Mini.

jahoys

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Earth
if Apple could make the regular iPad as thin and light as the Mini, sure. probably won't happen till iPad 8 or 9 though :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.