Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
With the exception of AT&T. With them it is $100 off the tablet so it would only be $30.00 + $10/month

You're right. i didn't think that it covered adding to an existing plan but I called and it does. It bears mentioning that you will probably need the next higher data plan with the increased data use, but its a very good deal.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You're right. i didn't think that it covered adding to an existing plan but I called and it does. It bears mentioning that you will probably need the next higher data plan with the increased data use, but its a very good deal.

Well, actually we bought ours before the shared data plans (two are iPad 2s and I've had my 3 since the rollout last year). We were paying $25/month each for the data.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
If you really want to recoup the losses and you plan on keeping the plan for 2 years do this.

Buy a new line for iphone. purchase an iphone 5 16GB, sell the iphone 5 and buy the mini. Move the newly created iphone 5 plan to the mini, thus reducing the cost.

Costs:
iphone5 $199
mini $459
Sell iphone5 -$600

Total out of pocket costs: $59 for a Mini and $10/mo. All perfectly allowable by ATT.

Another way to look at it: $459 for a mini with over 3 years of free service.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
If you really want to recoup the losses and you plan on keeping the plan for 2 years do this.

Buy a new line for iphone. purchase an iphone 5 16GB, sell the iphone 5 and buy the mini. Move the newly created iphone 5 plan to the mini, thus reducing the cost.

Costs:
iphone5 $199
mini $459
Sell iphone5 -$600

Total out of pocket costs: $59 for a Mini and $10/mo. All perfectly allowable by ATT.

Another way to look at it: $459 for a mini with over 3 years of free service.

How exactly does this work? You buy iPhone 5 adding the new plan for $10 a month and the $200 out-of-pocket. Then you sell the iPhone five for whatever profit you can get and use that money towards a Apple mini. Upon doing this you take the Sim card from the five and put it into the mini and it will work off the bat without any adjustments? The plan will be just be using your data from the phone plan and that's it?

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
How exactly does this work? You buy iPhone 5 adding the new plan for $10 a month and the $200 out-of-pocket. Then you sell the iPhone five for whatever profit you can get and use that money towards a Apple mini. Upon doing this you take the Sim card from the five and put it into the mini and it will work off the bat without any adjustments? The plan will be just be using your data from the phone plan and that's it?

Both the Mini and the Ipad come with a sim. No need to switch it.

When you get the iphone 5, it will naturally be a $30-40/mo plan. Once you get the mini, you go/call att and tell them to switch it. They plug the mini serial into their system and lower the plan to $10/mo. Make sure you buy the mini without a plan so there is no chance of signing two seperate 2yr contracts. (There may be an extra dollar or two the first month to cover the few days you have the iphone 5 active.)

Another thing to do is order the iphone 5 from att.com shipped to your home and you never have to open it. This way you can sell it sealed.

Its pretty straight forward and ATT does switching all the time.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Ok so this will be on say a mobile share pay for 6gb a month. Buy iPhone 5 at 40 a month to access shared data and unlimited talk text. Sell iPhone 5 buy iPad mini with profits and call and have them switch the plan over to the Mini's ESN? Which will automatically lower it from $40 a month to $10?

Do you ever have to activate the iPhone 5? Or just leave it sealed and only activate the mini?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Ok so this will be on say a mobile share pay for 6gb a month. Buy iPhone 5 at 40 a month to access shared data and unlimited talk text. Sell iPhone 5 buy iPad mini with profits and call and have them switch the plan over to the Mini's ESN? Which will automatically lower it from $40 a month to $10?

Do you ever have to activate the iPhone 5? Or just leave it sealed and only activate the mini?

You want the IMEI, not ESN.

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Oh oops thanks for the correction.

I am making sure I can just call up with the serial number from the iPad mini. Never opening the iPhone to activate and ensuring their system corrects the cost from 40 to 10

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Depending on some financial issues, I've considered buying an iPad Mini as a gift for relatives who don't currently have an iPad. Thinking of cellular so they can activate it, when needed, for vacations but use wi-fi most of the year at home.

Which, if it can be reactivated, might make Verizon better because of more widespread LTE, and more widespread 3G coverage in rural areas.

Are there any activation fees if you need a new SIM?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So if I use an Verizon and I only turn it on for one month and then turn it off for a few, I will need a new SIM card to reactivate it?

if you paid via credit card,no. the sim isn't burned right away. but I believe if you have it off for more than six months it is dropped out of the system and burned then.

----------

Hmmm, that is interesting. I hope more member chime in to let me know if that is still the case.

You know, I actually just realized I have an additional question. Should I back up my current iPad then use that back up as a restore on the new iPad or should I start from scratch?

if the older ipad hasn't had any weird issues, go for it.

I use Gmail and Google Calendars and I think I read something a while back about Gmail not working on new iOS devices with the native Mail and Calendar apps. Maybe it is my poor memory.

not exactly true. you can't use Exchange for contact syncing on free accounts. using a backup won't help that issue. But there are instructions out there for using CardDAV. which is still an extra step over the all in one way that yahoo get work but it is compatible with Mail etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.