Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Hi guys
What are your thoughts on the possibility of an entry quad-core Mini in 2013?
Is it an inevitable upgrade when compared to the competition
or
Would a quad-core processor and a (supposedly) dramatically upgraded iGPU risk cannibalizing iMac-sales?

:)

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say pretty slim, apple needs to differentiate the iMac and mini, if its a quad core, then more people will be choosing that over the iMac

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Quad core, entry level, zero chance. Hopefully amazing battery life will be the benefit as the 22nm process and possibly 3d transistors should keep heat down and speed up.

But this next generation CPU might be software upgradable to unlock cores for a price.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
apple needs to differentiate the iMac and mini

The iMac has a built-in screen, the Mini doesn't. That's differentiation enough.

The top Mini is already as powerful as any other Mac save for Mac Pro. (And very little different at the low-end of the Pro line, at that.)

I'd expect the processor lineup for the Mini to continue to track those of the notebooks and iMac.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I think the setup will be virtually the same and I mentioned this over at Anandtech.

$599 - Dual core i5/4 GB RAM 1600 MHz/HD 4600/500 GB HDD but hopefully more (would like to see them have an option for the Fusion drive)

$799 - Quad core i7/8 GB RAM 1600 MHz (though 4 GB is more likely)/HD 4600/1 TB HDD/(options for Fusion and SSD though hopefully a bigger SSD). If they offer a dual core i7 then hopefully a good discrete graphics chip but I won't hold my breath.

$999 - Same as above except no discrete/dual possibility and two hard drives or two SSDs as an option.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Seems to me....

that a quad-core Haswell is very likely. Entry level? I dont think so....Having said the latter, cannibalizing goes right now, with the delaying and problems of the current batch of 2012 iMacs. And being fair, not ALL users need an iMac or a Mac Pro. Even more.....we not are now in the Post-PC era?....So, too much computing needs are covered with the combo iPad+iPhone...IMHO

:):apple:

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
See there are times I like to be away from my computer hence why I don't own an iPad or iPhone. I am on the internet a lot be it at home or at work and don't always want to be plugged in.

I'd like to believe that someday there will be a low power quad core in the base mini but I just don't see it happening. Apple wants to keep its profit margins up.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Quad core, entry level, zero chance. Hopefully amazing battery life will be the benefit as the 22nm process and possibly 3d transistors should keep heat down and speed up.

But this next generation CPU might be software upgradable to unlock cores for a price.

The mac mini is a desktop computer. It's not a laptop with a battery.

pine88

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2013
No point. The mini is a basic box, its a laptop without a screen. The base model doesn't need more than a dual core. If you need more grunt there is the i7 model anyway. Personally, I'd never get an iMac when the mini does all I need and I have all the accessories to go with it.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
No point. The mini is a basic box, its a laptop without a screen. The base model doesn't need more than a dual core. If you need more grunt there is the i7 model anyway. Personally, I'd never get an iMac when the mini does all I need and I have all the accessories to go with it.

this is pretty much right on the spot.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

Amazing battery life on a Mac mini??????? I was not aware that there was a battery powered mini.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Well they've revealed some of the Haswell desktop processors. Do you think the hexa-core get revealed this year or start with Broadwell?

Nope. Rumor has it, Haswell (with the exception of the Xeon and maybe an i7 Extreme like ivy bridge) will only be quad core.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
In that case, looks like the base model will be a dual core i7 of some variety with ZERO upgrade for the CPU, like the current low end mini. The second(non-server) option is going to be a littler more interesting, see as the $$ for the haswell will probably be pretty steep initially. So it might still be quad i7, with a big $$$ to move up to Haswell, with G2/HD4600.

Of course, they could just hold off on upgrading the mini for quite a while, seeing as how it was updated 129 days ago(buyer's guide). If they hold off, then the prices of the 1st generation if Haswells will likely come down enough to start putting them in the mini.

Either way, the mini is NOT going to get the G3 graphics for a LONG time, if ever. The demand would be too great, and would eat into sales of more expensive machines.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Nope. Rumor has it, Haswell (with the exception of the Xeon and maybe an i7 Extreme like ivy bridge) will only be quad core.
I had heard this too. However, I don't expect the mini with haswell until 2014.
I would be surprised if we saw a new imac before December 2013.

I hate to speculate on the laptop lineup.
I tend to assume the new mac pro will be announced this summer.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
short cycle july 22nd = 270 days. we can always hope for it!

All things are possible but I am more expectant of a longer cycle given the recent production issues with the current iMac. By the time the iMacs shipping issues are fully resolved, it will be summer. New Haswell minis would be closely competing in terms of horsepower with the current iteration of iMacs.

I foresee a very angry group of iMac owners and a very skeptical Apple customer base in the event of a short product cycle release for the mac minis(which would be expected to coincide with new iMacs).

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
i wonder if apple would drop iMac and lower the price of the t-bolt display. sounds nutty but with the dropping of the dvd drives apple no longer sells an all in one.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Of course, they could just hold off on upgrading the mini for quite a while, seeing as how it was updated 129 days ago(buyer's guide). If they hold off, then the prices of the 1st generation if Haswells will likely come down enough to start putting them in the mini.

The mini usually gets new intel CPU's quickly. Why would haswell be any different? The cost of haswell chips is a total non-issue.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
i wonder if apple would drop iMac and lower the price of the t-bolt display. sounds nutty but with the dropping of the dvd drives apple no longer sells an all in one.

The iMac is definitely going to stick around. I think Apple would drop the Pro before the iMac. Honestly it seems like the Mini might be too upgradable for Apple's new standards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.