Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huntermaclean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
I was concerned about my CPU temp when the fans on my rMBP were always running, even when the FAHControl was set to Light.

I have a Retina MacBook Pro
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB

Normal usage CPU Die Temp is around 50c. When folding though, the temperature doubles and hovers around 100c.

Anyone know if this is normal for the rMBP?

huntermaclean

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Crunching some video right now with AnyVideo Converter HD and I'm back between 96 and 102.

Either this is normal operating temperature for the rMBP when the CPU is operating at full capacity, or I have a defective machine. Although, if it was the latter I figure something would have happened by now since I've had the machine over 6 months.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
The Apple software (firmware?) that controls fan speed really doesn't ramp up until you get around 100C, so it will run hot naturally. I installed smcFanControl when I'm folding so I can run 100% and keep temps around 85-90C when im not using my computer. I got the same processor as you in a mac mini. Different enclosure but mine also runs around 50C when idle. Intel quotes 105C as the max temp for this processor so it definitely get close.

Overall, I'd say its normal, if not ideal. Personally I like to bump up the fans to keep it a little cooler.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The Apple software (firmware?) that controls fan speed really doesn't ramp up until you get around 100C, so it will run hot naturally. I installed smcFanControl when I'm folding so I can run 100% and keep temps around 85-90C when im not using my computer. I got the same processor as you in a mac mini. Different enclosure but mine also runs around 50C when idle. Intel quotes 105C as the max temp for this processor so it definitely get close.

Overall, I'd say its normal, if not ideal. Personally I like to bump up the fans to keep it a little cooler.

agreed here. i know laptop chips are built to get hot, but anytime you are 100c or over, you don't want this 24/7. i agree with setting the fans to run more to keep it under 100c.

just curious, but what does it say for your ppd while folding?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
agreed here. i know laptop chips are built to get hot, but anytime you are 100c or over, you don't want this 24/7. i agree with setting the fans to run more to keep it under 100c.

just curious, but what does it say for your ppd while folding?

I'm actually using World Community Grid on BOINC, and with that program I get around 5,000. IDK how that compares to FAH though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.