Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Hello all,

I have imported my DVD collection into my hard drive so I can have the entire TV series on my Mac without swapping DVDs all the time (I want to access them via Front Row). Currently the format is AVI and cannot be imported into iTunes. I can however open the movie in quicktime, save as a reference file, then import into iTunes. However, this would take me hours and hours with my video library. If I convert them to *.mov format, it would also take hours and hours.

I know there's a program called videodrive that will import them all, but I'd like to buy it only as a last resort. Surely there must be a way to do it via Automator or something?

Thanks in advance.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
or with QuickTime Pro (with Perian installed) save as a reference file (very small file size, like an alias) and then copy that to your iTunes movie library Important: dont move the original AVI as it is referenced.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Thanks for everyone's reply.

I didn't want to convert all my files using handbrake. It would take forever.

I did a search on the macrumours forum (thinking someone must have posted this question before) but came up with nothing. However, then I Google searched and came up with a result suggesting to use a freeware program called Movie2itunes: http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes . Ironically this result was a Macrumors post.

It took me a bit to figure out as they would say "drag your files into this droplet". Well, there is no droplet (I'm assuming it's an icon of some sort). So, I dragged my files onto the applescript icon after setting my destination folder and voila, multiple reference files instantly imported into iTunes.

Patience was rewarded today. It took me some time to find this solution, but it also saved me from buying a piece of software.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
or with QuickTime Pro (with Perian installed) save as a reference file (very small file size, like an alias) and then copy that to your iTunes movie library Important: dont move the original AVI as it is referenced.

How do you go about making a reference file in Quicktime (with Perian)?

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
I think I've found the best way to import AVI movies into iTunes. Download MPEGStreamClip and open the AVI in MPEGStreamClip. Go to File, Save As, and choose MOV. This will pass-thru everything from the AVI file into the MOV container. There is no re-encoding going on, just changing containers. There is no loss in quality. Now you can add the MOV file to iTunes.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
in Save As choose reference movie. though Movie2iTunes and MPEG Streamclip are probably better ways.

Ya, I've been using MPEG Streamclip to turn my AVIs into MOVs. For the longest time I thought that I wouldn't be able to organize my movies into iTunes unless I converted them via HandBrake. Works great now!

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
If you have lots of movies and TV Show, definitely VideoDrive. Just drag the videos on it, and the import starts with or without reconversion. The latest version has 8 (!) different import methods. I just started to learn the differences between them. MKV support is great but most my videos are AVI so I can't tell if all kinds of MKV videos will work as well

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
You can do this easily, for instance with Quicktime 7 by creating reference files. There are also tools that automate this for you like VideoDrive.

They put avi files in iTunes within seconds. No conversions, no hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fresh Tendrils

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I agree with the person above who suggested MPEG Streamclip. That app is fantastic, and you can create a batch list of all the files you want to change, and then go away and come back in 20 mins and everything will be done. I can't see the point in using handbrake because you'll just lose quality in the conversion. Handbrake is great but it's not needed here. You just want to change the container format as outlined above.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
That’s wrong, the original question was how to import avi files without conversion. You can do this easily, for instance with Quicktime 7 by creating reference files.

This is how I do it, takes only a matter of seconds. You do need Perian installed though I believe.

Biscoe

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
You can use Handbrake (freeware) to convert files to iTunes compatible. the downside is it will take quite a while to convert 100 movies but good luck anyway.

Eodvince

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2012
You can also import AVI files to iTunes with Quicktime. Here's how:

Step One: Open the AVI file in Quicktime

Step Two: Click the "Share" button (bottom right corner, box with arrow jumping out of it)

Step Three: Click "iTunes"

Step Four: Select which devices you plan on watching your AVI file

Step Five: Hit "Return/Enter" on your keyboard

VOILA!

If you plan on converting multiple files at once, you will need to repeat all five steps for each individual file. It takes about as long as any other video conversion program, and requires no additional purchase or download provided you have the latest version of Quicktime installed. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Singhra

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
I agree with the "Fresh" who suggested MPEG Streamclip. That app is fantastic, and you can create a batch list of all the files you want to change, and then go away and come back in 20 mins and everything will be done. I can't see the point in using handbrake because you'll just lose quality in the conversion. Handbrake is great but it's not needed here. You just want to change the container format as outlined above.

Dokris

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
There's a file I have thats 1.59 GB, with an extension of AC3.5.1.xvid in .avi. I used Handbrake, with AT3 settings to convert to mp4. It converts the file to m4v (its choice I guess) but then the file shrinks to 726 MB and the picture isn't as clear. Any tweaks I need to put in in order to sustain the quality of the avi file?

I wish movies I download were in the mp4 or mkv format - would make my life easier :/

Waiserbase

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Handbrake. It's what everyone around here uses.

Problem solved :D

So use a free conversion alternative like HandBrake which is available for both Mac OS and Windows OS users. As to conversion times, the H.264 codec is very CPU intensive. Depending on the power of your system, the encode matrix dimensions of your file, and specific settings used, it can take a long time to convert files. I usually recommend setting up a batch conversion queue and let them convert while you sleep.

Flowersoice

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Well to be honest I don't like using handbrake. I mean it is great because it is universal (Mac & PC) but it doesn't have much to offer. Also, when I was setting it up and decided to stop the installation after watching a review of it, it froze my computer and restarted "Windows Explorer". Which was annoying... -.-

Rosy

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
You need to convert the movie to .mP4 or mpeg-4 format to be able to transfer and sync it to the iPad.

iPad can only play .mp4 type files

If you use the latest iTunes, in the top main menu, there should be a menu option to convert the movie to the iPad or iPod compatible format.

It dosen't matter if the original source was a regular DVD or Blu-ray. It has to be in the format that the iPad can handle.

Also, look at Handbrake for OS X

Good Luck

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
If you want to add videos to iTunes without hassle and complicated settings, have a look at VideoDrive. It adds AVI's with or without converting. Obviously, if you want to watch on your iPad, you need to convert (which it can do with HandBrake for faster performance). But if you want to organize all your videos nicely in iTunes, you can skip the conversion entirely.

VideoDrive will also download covers and descriptions, all in one automatic step. It handles both movies and TV shows.

----------

Just noticed VideoDrive has a new version out with a new interface. It looks very nice!

Matthewdigg

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
I installed VideoDrive, and to my dissapointment, I have the newest version of VideoDrive and a handful of AVI files I want to put into my iTunes library so I can stream them directly to my New iPad / Apple TV 3. When I select the new ATV option in VideoDrive it goes through flawlessly, finds the correct metadata takes about 45 minutes or so to run through its thing, and then an error pops up saying it was unable to convert, quicktime crashed act ect.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I installed VideoDrive, and to my dissapointment, I have the newest version of VideoDrive and a handful of AVI files I want to put into my iTunes library so I can stream them directly to my New iPad / Apple TV 3. When I select the new ATV option in VideoDrive it goes through flawlessly, finds the correct metadata takes about 45 minutes or so to run through its thing, and then an error pops up saying it was unable to convert, quicktime crashed act ect.

You used QuickTime to convert your videos? How many warning messages did you have to click away to manage that? VideoDrive supports HandBrake for conversions and that’s much faster and much more reliable. I tried converting with QuickTime once and it also crashed. You can switch to HandBrake by going to VideoDrive Preferences and clicking on the Import tab. There you can choose between Elgato, HandBrake or QuickTime. I never had any crash with HandBrake.

Mohsenan

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2013
I have a second generation AppleTV running software version 3.0.2.

I have had it for several months only just recently, when I play a movie that I have ripped using Handbrake the AppleTV plays sound but no picture, it then hangs (if I try to go back to the Menu) and then crashes before restarting.

I rip my DVDs using Handbrake with the following specs:

Format: H.264
Large file size selected
Average bit rate: 4000kbps
2 pass encoding
Frame rate: same as source
Aspect ratio: strict

So there is no reason why it shouldn't be playing video. Infact, I haven't changed my handbrake settings and have watched hundreds of video's previously with these settings, only just recently has my AppleTV been doing this.

Any suggestions?

Decuthse

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Handbrake is best. The best free software to use for all video conversions to APPLE products.
You can use Handbrake (freeware) to convert files to iTunes compatible.

Whorton22

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Best way to do it is create a reference file. You dont need quicktime pro to do this. Just download Videora which is a free program used to correct out of sync video/audio. Also handy to have ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.