Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
I have a jailbroken 4S running 6.1.0. I have a few jailbroken apps (tether me and the ipad clock) and it runs really well; almost as good as pre-jailbreak. Is it a good idea to update to 6.1.2 and re-jailbreak before 6.1.3 comes out and eliminates jailbreaking altogether?

CosmicDice

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I would update because it's now posible. When iOS 6.1.3 is out the window is closed. It's your joice, I would do it.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I did on my iPhone, but not on my iPad. Mainly because I wanted to fix the exchange calendar bug with 6.1 on my phone while I could. No issues on my iPad in that department, so I don't really care. If some future, non-jailbreakable stuff comes out that is essential for my iPad, I also don't have any issues going stock there either...but I don't want to go stock on my phone, where I find the JB much more useful.

Iphone4sinwhite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
When I attempt to update the 4s, It's stuck on "Checking for Update..."

Do I need to update it another way? Will I lose the apps I've installed or removed and their placement in folders when I update?

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
When I attempt to update the 4s, It's stuck on "Checking for Update..."

Do I need to update it another way? Will I lose the apps I've installed or removed and their placement in folders when I update?

Are you attempting an OTA update? If so, then the evasi0n jailbreak disabled that. You will have to update from a computer.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You plug it to itunes and hit restore.
You will lose everything and will have to resync all your stuff back and reinstall all your cydia hacks.
Its not possible to update the firmware on a JB device and stay JB.

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
i was thinking about the samething but i dont want to update my question is if i click reset all settings and data under settings the phone will format and then i can rejailbreak it right?

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
i was thinking about the samething but i dont want to update my question is if i click reset all settings and data under settings the phone will format and then i can rejailbreak it right?

Never, ever ever do a Reset All Settings on a JB phone.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE

ahhhh!! very VERY dangerous move. i made this mistake on my i4 running 5.1.1 last year. it gave me all sorts of headaches. the ph kept getting stuck, itunes stopped recognizing it, it used to keep looping.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I have a jailbroken 4S running 6.1.0. I have a few jailbroken apps (tether me and the ipad clock) and it runs really well; almost as good as pre-jailbreak. Is it a good idea to update to 6.1.2 and re-jailbreak before 6.1.3 comes out and eliminates jailbreaking altogether?

I wouldn't write off jail-breaking my friend.

These guys are awesome at what they do.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Just to be clear, the proper way to update to 6.1.2 is this:

1. Back up your phone to your computer (or iCloud if you prefer). If you want, also back up your Cydia stuff with something like PkgBackup (which makes the restore go faster).

2. Restore your phone in iTunes (this will wipe the device and update it to 6.1.2).

3. After the restore is complete, re-jailbreak with evasi0n.

4. Restore your iTunes backup. This will get you all your normal apps and data back. (or, if you really want, manually reinstall all your apps, but I've never had the inclination to do that).

5. Restore your Cydia tweaks, either manually or by a restore with PkgBackup.

I used PkgBackup, so the update to 6.1.2 took about 4 hours total, but I didn't have to interact with the phone very much. Just took about 1.5 hours to fully restore my phone (including syncing all my apps back), and then another 45 minutes to restore my PkgBackup data.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

Yes, PLEASE DO IT! Right!?!?

Actually no, you shouldn't do that BTW

rogeliojeda

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011

How did you got the iPad clock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.