Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hail Caesar

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2013
I think the 4 inch is nice, I don't think it needs to be any bigger. It's still a mobile, I have an iPad for tablet use. Notes and whatever else out there is just way to big.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
A Galaxy Note easily fits in the pockets of a guy. And if you are going to try to argue against this, you better own a Galaxy Note or you will just be talking hot air.

Fitting a jumbo phone in my pocket isn't the issue. The issue is living with it. Anytime I wanted to do any sort of physical activity it became a pain in the ass to keep up with.

Whereas the iPhone 5 is the perfect size to keep on you (either in your pocket or wearing it) and still do anything. It's completely unobtrusive and gets itself out of the way - not to mention it's still usable one handed plus there's Siri.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Would love either:
1. the iPhone 5's thin and light design built around the old 3.5" display. IPhone 5 's tallness makes it cumbersome.

Or

2. Apple to fix the usability abomination that iOS is, in that the back function is all over the place, top left, bottom left, unpredictable, unintuitive and when in the top left difficult to use.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Rather than develop a less expensive iPhone (boring), I would like to see Apple come up with a different device altogether. An iWatch (or something similar) would be great. From skateboarding to jogging to mountain biking, it would be awesome to have something wearable rather than something I have to keep buried in my pocket.

IMO that's were Apple needs to be innovating, along with dramatic advancements in Siri AI. Not wasting money on another 3.5" phone or even a jumbo phone - been there, done that.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Rather than develop a less expensive iPhone (boring), I would like to see Apple come up with a different device altogether. An iWatch (or something similar) would be great. From skateboarding to jogging to mountain biking, it would be awesome to have something wearable rather than something I have to keep buried in my pocket.

IMO that's were Apple needs to be innovating, along with dramatic advancements in Siri AI. Not wasting money on another 3.5" phone or even a jumbo phone - been there, done that.

If Apple released a watch, they would be going backwards. Google has shown that Google Glass is the way forward if you want ultimate portability and is true innovation. If you do any outdoor sports, then you will know that have to look down at your watch or flip your hand to your face is annoying and reduces your performance. With Google Glass, it integrates with the sunglasses you already wear and provides a heads up display that could potentially show you your speed, times, heart rate, where your competitors are on a map, etc....

Large smartphones are here to stay for the foreseeable future, though. Smartphones of today are primarily internet connected devices where large screens rule.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes, would love a phone with iPhone 5 design and spec, but same screen size as iPhone 4.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Very few people want a small phone. There's a reason why Apple increased the size from 3.5" to 4.0". Apple should have actually gone for a 4.3" screen. That in my opinion is the sweet spot.

reyalP

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Extending the length of the phone and making it longer but not wider just reminds me of the Motorola Krzr for some reason. I think the form of the 3.5 inch is much better. I just want the newer hardware with the 3.5 inch screen.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
If Apple released a watch, they would be going backwards. Google has shown that Google Glass is the way forward if you want ultimate portability and is true innovation. If you do any outdoor sports, then you will know that have to look down at your watch or flip your hand to your face is annoying and reduces your performance. With Google Glass, it integrates with the sunglasses you already wear and provides a heads up display that could potentially show you your speed, times, heart rate, where your competitors are on a map, etc....

An iWatch (or something similar) I can wear all the time - glasses not so much.

Large smartphones are here to stay for the foreseeable future, though.

People said the same thing about ridiculously small cellphones ten years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.