Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaap

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Your situation is probably extremely rare. Not many large companies would allow their employees to use or work on non-standard hardware/software configurations such as that. They have an IT department for that.
You're not really following the discussion.

Someone was projecting (as you seem to be also) that "professionals" are people that can't do anything without IT holding their hand. Apparently these 'pros' are so unreliable that they're always in danger of losing major accounts by 2 seconds and need to call IT at 4am to bail them out.

(IT people I know would tell you where and how hard to shove something if you woke them up and tried to scapegoat them at 4am, but that's another story...)

Therefore these "professionals" are too dainty to use any hardware that doesn't come with training wheels and a 24/7 IT guy there to make sure little Johnny doesn't fall off.

I simply don't know any actual professionals that are like that. Someone was confusing PRO with SCHMO.

IT doesn't exist to hold everyone's hand or be their training wheels. They maintain company equipment (and not for idiots that aren't qualified to be using it in the first place). But it's far from just company equipment that gets the job done.

Ironically where I work, if you wanted to find all sorts of 'unauthorized-but-who's-looking' hardware running OSX (and everything else under the sun), you'd have to be granted access to... the IT department!

Bah-Bah

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
I suppose if anything good is to come from this thread, it's the fact that there's a gap in the market for an affordable, upgradeable workstation running OS X. Hopefully Apple will take note.

Last edited:

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I suppose if anything good is to come from this thread, it's the fact that there's a gap in the market for an affordable, upgradeable workstation running OS X. Hopefully Apple will take note.
Isn't that the Mac Pro?

Bah-Bah

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Isn't that the Mac Pro?

Not in Europe, can't buy them here anymore. Then there's the "affordable" criteria ;)

Perhaps to be more specific, I mean an i7 based workstation that's upgradeable. Most professional users don't need Xeons.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
You're not really following the discussion.

IT doesn't exist to hold everyone's hand or be their training wheels. They maintain company equipment (and not for idiots that aren't qualified to be using it in the first place). But it's far from just company equipment that gets the job done.

Apparently I have been following the disscussion as you just mentioned what I've already just said.

In the past I have not always waited for IT to get things done. We have been trying to install a large scanner for industrial drawings for the past 8 months. Finally I installed the software and got the process down for moving multiple paper schematics to CDROM.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
You seem to have a sizable chip on your shoulder about all this, so I can tell it's pointless to respond to you. You make silly assumptions and strawmen that aren't based on anyone's reality but your own, then joust away at your own strawmen, not what anyone is actually telling you. I find that counterproductive.

So moving on...

I'm mainly more in a generic sense curious why the idea of running OSX on non-Apple hardware (of which there's plenty of irrefutable evidence works just fine, so arguing as if it's not possible is just pointless) makes some people lose their minds so much?

Is it that people like to stump for Apple so much they can't stand that some of us have found a way around their hardware monopoly?

Is it that they want to justify having bought a MacPro (which hasn't been updated in FAR too long) and can't stand that others have opted to go a different route and do-it-themselves? Does it make people feel insecure or something?

I just don't quite understand all the irrationalness about it.

For me, tech is all about whatever works, not about blind brand loyalty and nonsense. I know people that are seriously into cars. The very LAST thing they would want is something 'stock' directly from a factory that's just like everyone else's, but something they put time into making just like they want it.

Many of the best directors in Hollywood are hands-on technical types. If the camera system or software package or lighting rig or what-the-heck-ever doesn't exist to achieve what they're going for, many have no problem with modifying or even building their own stuff from the ground up if needed to get what they want.

Many of the innovations are driven by the creative teams dictating back to manufacturers what they're looking for, from stuff they had to make themselves, not just by companies coming out with something and saying "Here, now you figure out what to do with it."

I don't get why people think it's so different when creative types get their hands on computers. Not all, but many DO enjoy doing things themselves. The types that can't function at 4am or whenever without crying to an IT guy to come bail them out don't last long in my business. (And IT people despise that sort anyway, they're usually the ones always breaking something then crying about it.) Those are wankers that maybe should go do spreadsheets in the front office or something. I'm amazed people present that type like that's representative of the shining stars in ANY field. Please.

No one's reading that.

----------

Which brings us back to perspective is reality..

It's been discussed over and over on this forum, you cherry picked so I will to. Pixar uses Linux on the back end..

That's real tough TP Link TP-3468 works native in OSX along with there WiFi..I have a two in my drawer they cost $15 and work in anything without drivers.

There are many creative types that use Windows, because you have not experienced them doesn't mean they don't exist. We have two shops here on windows and one on OSX. The local screen printers design and print on Windows he likes the better graphics support whether it's perceived or real.

OSX is meant to work on a particular HW spec, that HW spec is not unique to Apple.

Hasn't been necessary in a couple years and even the most basic "Hack" of using a DSDT to get OSX to recognize your board is no longer necessary.

This is not rocket science, it's installing software on a computer you needn't be particularly tech savvy.
===================

If you deviate from established working systems you will have some issues and that is for the "brave and the bold"

Windows is used in heavy 3d, no one said it wasn't ;)

Psyop uses Windows/Maya/3DsMax. Blur uses Windows. Many many studios use it.

Any-who, this thread is full of wonky people, so not even going to reply anymore. Too much stubbornness and maybe English isn't your native language, so I'll give you guys a pass.

DamnDJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
Baltimore
My biggest beef with Apple products is a missing product between the iMac and the Mac Pro. Mac Pro's are way out of my league, but I hate the idea of having a non-replaceable video card in my computer (iMac). So, there's really no product for me. Heck, if the Mac Mini had a better video option, might consider it.

I've been building my own Hackintoshes for a few years now and I wouldn't have it any other way. Sure, it can be a difficult experience if you don't have the right hardware, but when you do, it can be a flawless machine.

I love OS X, but I couldn't care less about having some "lickable" hardware. I don't deny that the Mac Pro and iMacs are beautiful machines, but in my opinion, they are not worth double the cost I can build a Hackintosh for. I'd say the same thing about Windows machines too. Not worth it when you can build your own. Of course laptops are a different story; just talking desktops.

I really don't understand why people get so outraged when they hear of Hackintoshes. I know this argument has been beaten to DEATH, but I've never chimed in with my worthless two cents before. :)

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
I have a 2008 Mac Pro octo 2.8 GHz and have recently had a Hack Pro built to run along side it.
The GF needed a decent performance Mac and the options were limited. A rMBP for over £2500, an iMac for about £2000 or a Hex core Mac Pro for about £3500 were the contenders to buy.
In the end the Hack was £1200 to build and the performance of the Hex MP.
Very happy with the performance to price ratio, Apple are missing the target in these cash strapped times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.