Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
It's not just iTunes. I get it with EyeTV as well.

I'm not familiar with EyeTV, but a common explanation of repeated "Do you want Whatever.app to accept incoming traffic" is incorrect code-signing or user alterations to the application files.

You could try

Code:
codesign -vvv /Applications/EyeTV.app/

in Terminal and see what message you get.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I'm wondering if your iTunes application is incorrectly code-signed.

To see, you could open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/

What you should get is

Code:
/Applications/iTunes.app/: valid on disk
/Applications/iTunes.app/: satisfies its Designated Requirement

If you get something else, the fix would be to trash the iTunes application (which in no way will cause any loss of your iTunes library content) and download and install a clean copy of iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Here is what I'm getting: /Applications/iTunes.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

If I trash my iTunes library how would I not lose my ratings/playlists/play count etc that are within this iTunes folder? I am coming over from windows where this library has took years to create and organize scared s---less to muck it up:eek::eek:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Here is what I'm getting: /Applications/iTunes.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid

If I trash my iTunes library how would I not lose my ratings/playlists/play count etc that are within this iTunes folder? I am coming over from windows where this library has took years to create and organize scared s---less to muck it up:eek::eek:

As I wrote, you need to trash the iTunes application, in the Applications folder. Doing so will have no effect on your library. If you are as terrified as you sound, you should make a backup of your iTunes library before doing anything, just to put yourself at ease. In fact, you should already have a backup---or two. :)

In any case, for some reason your iTunes application has been incorrectly code-signed, or has been modified in some manner to cause the OS not to trust it. You need a new copy of the iTunes application.

By the way, have you installed any iTunes plugins? If so, one might have caused the issue, if it modified any part of the iTunes application.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
As I wrote, you need to trash the iTunes application, in the Applications folder. Doing so will have no effect on your library. If you are as terrified as you sound, you should make a backup of your iTunes library before doing anything, just to put yourself at ease. In fact, you should already have a backup---or two. :)

In any case, for some reason your iTunes application has been incorrectly code-signed, or has been modified in some manner to cause the OS not to trust it. You need a new copy of the iTunes application.

By the way, have you installed any iTunes plugins? If so, one might have caused the issue, if it modified any part of the iTunes application.
Ahh so trash just the icon in Applications? Do I download again and then drag and drop icon to Applications as a normal app, it will use my existing "iTunes Folder" library?

I thought by deleting the iTunes it'd remove all the app data and folders associated with iTunes.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Ahh so trash just the icon in Applications?

Yes.

Do I download again and then drag and drop icon to Applications as a normal app, it will use my existing "iTunes Folder" library?

Download iTunes from Apple's website. Click on the downloaded iTunes11.0.1.dmg to open it (unless it opens automatically). Click on Install iTunes and a new copy of the iTunes application will be installed in your Applications folder. The new copy will use your existing iTunes library and preferences.

I thought by deleting the iTunes it'd remove all the app data and folders associated with iTunes.

No. Trashing the iTunes application has no effect on any user data.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Yes.

Download iTunes from Apple's website. Click on the downloaded iTunes11.0.1.dmg to open it (unless it opens automatically). Click on Install iTunes and a new copy of the iTunes application will be installed in your Applications folder. The new copy will use your existing iTunes library and preferences.

No. Trashing the iTunes application has no effect on any user data.
Thanks for making this clear. I'm bookmarking this and going to do it after a CCC Backup. It's scaring the hell out of me just talking about it. jk kinna;)

cactusflier

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
AZ
It tells me this every time I open iTunes to accept or deny. I accept and also made sure it was allowed in my firewall and its sill asking me it when I open it.

I hope this isn't something corrupt that carried over from my PC when transferring iTunes over.:rolleyes::mad:

This recently happen to me on two separate iMacs, a mid 2010 and the latest 2012 both running iTunes 11. Driving me nuts but did some searching and found a fix that worked for both of my machines. Go to your hard drive/library/preferences and find a file named com.apple.alf.plist and move it to your desktop. Make sure it is no longer in the preferences folder. Restart computer. The computer will make a new file and itunes should stop bugging you now. You can delete the file you moved to the desktop if all is working. The file had something to do with firewall preferences.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
This recently happen to me on two separate iMacs, a mid 2010 and the latest 2012 both running iTunes 11. Driving me nuts but did some searching and found a fix that worked for both of my machines. Go to your hard drive/library/preferences and find a file named com.apple.alf.plist and move it to your desktop. Make sure it is no longer in the preferences folder. Restart computer. The computer will make a new file and itunes should stop bugging you now. You can delete the file you moved to the desktop if all is working. The file had something to do with firewall preferences.
Ding ding ding. This man is a genius. It didn't seem like it could muck anything went ahead and did it and bam the annoying pop-up is gone.

Cheers man!!:eek::p:D

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Ding ding ding. This man is a genius. It didn't seem like it could muck anything went ahead and did it and bam the annoying pop-up is gone.

Cheers man!!:eek::p:D

Be advised that you just returned all your application firewall settings to their defaults, and that your iTunes application is still altered in some way from its proper state. You should at least now take a look at System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall Options and be sure the settings are what you want. By trashing that .plist, any settings you made for the firewall are gone. In particular, the firewall might now be off.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Be advised that you just returned all your application firewall settings to their defaults, and that your iTunes application is still altered in some way from its proper state. You should at least now take a look at System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Firewall -> Firewall Options and be sure the settings are what you want. By trashing that .plist, any settings you made for the firewall are gone. In particular, the firewall might now be off.

Is it all my Application settings on firewall it returned to default or just iTunes? Was this a bad thing to do?

I am not on my iMac right now but will definitely check later. :eek:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Is it all my Application settings on firewall it returned to default or just iTunes? Was this a bad thing to do?

I am not on my iMac right now but will definitely check later. :eek:

After you removed the original com.apple.alf.plist and restarted your computer, the operating system created a new, default plist file. This file will not contain any information about changes you made to the firewall settings. In fact, after the reboot the firewall will be in its default state, namely off.

What you did was not really bad, just a bit more drastic than was needed. You will need to manually reset any firewall settings that were reverted. And replacing your iTunes application with a fresh one from Apple still seems like a good idea, since your current iTunes application bundle has been altered in some way.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
After you removed the original com.apple.alf.plist and restarted your computer, the operating system created a new, default plist file. This file will not contain any information about changes you made to the firewall settings. In fact, after the reboot the firewall will be in its default state, namely off.

What you did was not really bad, just a bit more drastic than was needed. You will need to manually reset any firewall settings that were reverted. And replacing your iTunes application with a fresh one from Apple still seems like a good idea, since your current iTunes application bundle has been altered in some way.
You know what, I checked my Firewall just now and yep it was turned off. As soon as I turned it on I got the annoying pop-up AGAIN.:(

I will toss my original plist file back in that location and go the route you said but once I've got a CCC backup done.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
As soon as I turned it on I got the annoying pop-up AGAIN.:(

I will toss my original plist file back in that location and go the route you said but once I've got a CCC backup done.

Not surprised, since the OS is unhappy with your current iTunes application. One suggestion: after you've put your original plist back in place, delete any special firewall settings you have in place for iTunes. Then restart your computer and then install a new iTunes application.

I think you should then be really free of the problem.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Same problem here. Same code-signing verification failure. Mac mini (Late 2012), iTunes 11.01.

1. I trashed the "Contents" folder inside the iTunes application package.
2. I downloaded and reinstalled iTunes 11.01.
3. Code-signing verification passed.
4. iTunes opened without a firewall warning.
5. All iTunes settings, ratings, etc. were unaffected.

Thanks, LPZ.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Same problem here. Same code-signing verification failure. Mac mini (Late 2012), iTunes 11.01.

Thanks, LPZ.

Glad to be of assistance. :)

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I didn't read the thread but the problem is Home Sharing. Turn it off, the pop up stops.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
I didn't read the thread but the problem is Home Sharing. Turn it off, the pop up stops.

No, the problem is an iTunes application bundle that is not trusted by the application firewall, because it has been corrupted/altered in some way. Rather than needlessly disabling Home Sharing, the OP should simply download a pristine copy of iTunes.

Last edited:

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Not surprised, since the OS is unhappy with your current iTunes application. One suggestion: after you've put your original plist back in place, delete any special firewall settings you have in place for iTunes. Then restart your computer and then install a new iTunes application.

I think you should then be really free of the problem.

LPZ, I went ahead and downloaded a new iTunes and all is working. I wasn't able to delete my old "iTunes" application though like was suggested so I just installed the new one and I guess overwrote the old one. It's gone now. :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010

Thanks, LPZ.

How and where do I find the "Contents" folder inside iTunes? I'll try this method it turns out as posted above it did not work afterall I am still getting the problem after a reboot. This is awful what the heck is going on:confused:

dhokes

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2012
I had a similar issue and called up telephone support and resolved the problem. It involved deleting a preference file and re-installing iTunes but I can't remember the exact steps.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
How and where do I find the "Contents" folder inside iTunes? I'll try this method it turns out as posted above it did not work afterall I am still getting the problem after a reboot. This is awful what the heck is going on:confused:

You downloaded and installed a new iTunes? If so, what do you now get if you open Terminal and enter

Code:
codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio

0. Try "codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/" in a Terminal window.

Assuming that produces an error:
1. Go to your Applications folder.
2. Find the iTunes application.
3. Right click on the iTunes application and select "Show Package Contents"
4. Trash/Delete the "Contents" folder that you see "inside" the iTunes application.
5. Download and reinstall iTunes.
6. Try "codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/" again, and it should pass.

John

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
Yesterday, my Mac notified me of an update. It was to iTunes. I updated it to 11.0.2 (26) and the problem is gone! Yay!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.