Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
What part of "OPEN" is unclear here?

There are bunch of companies on board, but it is pushed primarily by Netflix and Google. But also by Hulu, Sony, Samsung, etc..
Sorry, my mistake, it seems to be merrily open standard among all the other standards in the family of the-standards-to-rule-'em-all.

To have a networked tv, I bought a tv with DLNA. Now, I should buy a new one with DIAL in it? And next, after I've bought a DIAL tv, there will be a 3rd "standard" and I'll have to buy a 3rd tv to do the same thing than the 1st one.
How nice.

Why both Apple and Google hates DLNA?

Last edited:

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Sorry, my mistake, it seems to be merrily open standard among all the other standards in the family of the-standards-to-role-'em-all.

To have a networked tv, I bought a tv with DLNA. Now, I should buy a new one with DIAL in it? And next, after I've bought a DIAL tv, there will be a 3rd "standard" and I'll have to buy a 3rd tv to do the same thing than the 1st one.
How nice.

Why both Apple and Google hates DLNA?

DLNA sucks. There is too much inconsistency with what video formats are supported on any given device for it to be an effective consumer standard. Also it, along with AirPlay, make very inefficient use of local bandwidth when it comes to streaming media, since this involves streaming to the device in your hands and then have that re-stream to your television. DIAL makes far more sense for streaming media, as the stream goes directly to the device you intend it to play on.

kako

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2004
Not only AirPlay works fine with YouTube app; the app also works with Microsoft Xbox, Sony PS3 along with Samsung TV and their own Google TV device.

They are also building this support on top of a more open standard for sharing video streams between mobile devices and television screens.

I will say that more companies (including Apple) should follow Google's example.

Go to m.youtube.com on an iPad and report back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.