Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzhlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I want to get an iPad mini, but with all these rumors hinting at a March/April or June/July release, I don't know if I should just buy an iPad mini now or wait for the new one. I have an iPad 2 and a rMBP, and I don't necessarily need the mini now. It's just that I would prefer the convenience of carrying a smaller device compared to the regular iPad.

So what's your take? If I do get the iPad mini now (Probably looking at a 16gb since I will mainly use it for reading and light web browsing.), and a Mini with Retina comes out before June-ish, about how much loss am I expecting in resale value?

Thanks guys! :)

Kelsy6

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
Belgium
Hey you,

I had the same doubts as you the last few days.
I also have the ipad 2 and a mbp and even an iphone4s.
So i didnt really NEED the ipad mini :)
But after the posts on my tread i went and bought one yesterday :)
And i truely love it!
It is so amazing to read ebooks on and webbrowsing is easy.
The weight is amazing!
It is so much more easy to type on :)
I could write a book with my two thumbs now hahaha

Pls dont listen to the crap about the display.
It is really good and i wear glasses, so pls dont fall for retina junk.

I went to the apple store and tried what i wanted to use it for.
I opened ibooks and i opened safari.
And i was sold :)

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
Hey guys,

I want to get an iPad mini, but with all these rumors hinting at a March/April or June/July release, I don't know if I should just buy an iPad mini now or wait for the new one. I have an iPad 2 and a rMBP, and I don't necessarily need the mini now. It's just that I would prefer the convenience of carrying a smaller device compared to the regular iPad.

So what's your take? If I do get the iPad mini now (Probably looking at a 16gb since I will mainly use it for reading and light web browsing.), and a Mini with Retina comes out before June-ish, about how much loss am I expecting in resale value?

Thanks guys! :)

I was also in the same situation a few weeks ago, as I am also a retina enthusiast. In fact, I sold my 2012 MBA just 4 months later in October 2012, when the 13" rMBPs were launched.

The lack of a retina display on the mini is not an issue for me. And we really don't know if the mini 2 will definitely have retina. Many rumours pointed to the iPad 2 as having an all-but-confirmed retina display, but we didn't see it until the iPad 3...

Just go for it now if you need it. It is an amazing device and I am enjoying my mini now :) And besides, I can always sell the mini later and upgrade (at a slight loss?) if the mini 2 does have retina, be that this year or next.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'd wait and see if what you really want is released later this year. I don't think you'll see a new mini in March/April.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Hey you,

And i truely love it!
The weight is amazing!

I'll be sure to bump this post for when you have an iPad Mini later this year and tell us all how AMAZING the display is and how much better it is than the 1024 X 768 display.....:)

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
if you dont need it now..Do yourself a big favor and wait for the retina version...you will be happy you did.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hey you,

And i truely love it!
The weight is amazing!

Summary: It's small and light...buy it.

Kelsy6

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
Belgium
Just go to the apple store and try it :)

And see how un/important the retina display is :)
It is a personal choise :)
It is probably more pretty, but i want my device to be functional in the first place :)

kzhlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks for the responses!

I was a Best Buy yesterday, and while the retina screen on the iPad 4 was amazing (just like my iPhone 5 :p), the iPad mini's screen was pretty good as well. Since I'm only using it to read, I didn't notice a big difference between the two screens. Sure the the retina looks better and appears to be a bit sharper, but I think I'll survive with the mini. :)

Going to go pick one up these next few days. BTW, Best Buy is having a promotion right now if you buy the iPad with Verizon data. -$100 off the price of the iPad, but data is going to cost $30 a month. A sales rep told me this at the Pasadena, CA Best Buy.

Thanks again guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.