Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Anyone bought/buying it? I was just drooling over the screenshots I saw and am hoping to hear a non-professional review of it before picking it up.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looking like a good game review, but far from great or classic status.

Expect more 70% reviews give or take....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Heard it's worse than 2 (which was just barely okay) and that locations are really small/very linear. I'll be waiting for a cheap Steam sale on this one.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
All reviews point towards it being very short: just 6-8 hours. Unworthy of 40 notes.

Rather spend that on Bioshock Infinite.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The campaign: Fun, a bit short and they could have put more effort in the characters stories, the emotional stuff feels a bit rushed.

Multiplayer: Fun and varied.

I gave it 4/5 when I reviewed it "for realz", it's not a masterpiece but very good.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Finished this game earlier today.

It is not worth $60.

Compared to Crysis (never played Crysis 2, but I do own the first)- Crysis 3 is a brutal shock. I thoroughly enjoyed the first game multiple times. There was no hand holding, the suit made you feel powerful and the island sandbox made you feel free.

Crysis 3 has none of this. I absolutely loathe following NPCs around, there was none of that crap in the original game but the third is full of it. The feeling of being free in an expansive environment is non-existant. There are awful game breaking and immersion shattering glitches everywhere, the writing and dialogue is horrible, and the story feels extremely forced.

Frankly, I was glad when it was over. If we ever start another "Biggest disappointments of 2013" thread at the end of December, I'll be swinging by to stick "Crysis 3" on it. I was expecting "more Crysis!", but this game is inferior to the original in more ways then I care to list here.

Save your money and pirate it first. If you enjoy the game, then go out and buy it if you feel they deserve your money. Do not go out and buy it on impulse, there's at least 50/50 chance you'll think the game is crap.

-SC

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
That's a good point. If you haven't played Crysis 2 you're in for quite a shock.

Edit: But you should play the games in order and if you don't like how the second game develops: stay away from the third. If you want to see how it all ends, then by all means buy the game. But as the previous poster said; it's not worth $60. But then again, extremely few games are... ;) Not even A Link to the Past, Radiant Silvergun, Super Mario World, Silent Hill 2 or Portal is worth $60 in terms of gameplay value.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For me crytek's best game was the initial FarCry. That blew me away. Massive sense of freedom, amazing graphics and scale and lots of new innovative gameplay features and Impressive AI....

Crysis was very pretty but didn't impress me like FarCry did with anything else. It felt generic other than the graphics.

Crysis 2 I manage to get about 2 hours in and then got bored. Again great graphics but failed to impress me on any other level.

Ironically its FarCry 3 which even though is now a ubisoft game that felt far closer to the promises and gameplay that Crytek initially established with FarCry before selling off the IP to ubisoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.