Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Ok, lets do this!

NeverhadaPC - Love the complexity of this shot, framing is great, I understand the hard lighting environment this must've been but it looks a little overly contrasted and dirty.

pmxperience - The vibrancy of the colours of the roof are amazing, really draws your eye in. The people walking really work well, especially with the reflection. My only criticism is the bottom half is too dark and washed out by comparison, a composition of 2 different exposures could've really given this a full body of colour.

AT06 - You have some nice colours present in this shot and I'll presume there's no photoshop tweaking used in this? The framing feels a little off though and it doesn't seem to draw your eye to anything really specific, slightly wider would've probably done better justice.

Stinja - Great framing, the snow and sky really offset each other and you really nailed the exposure of this.

Cheese&Apple - A blitz of colours! I might've gone slightly wider with the shot as having the ground so close to the edge of the shot hurts the perspective in my opinion.

sim667 - This really draws my eye in and around, the centre piece pushes your sight out nicely.

genshi - Great building to pick for this competition, the colours are great and the shading of the lighting really gives a nice dimension to the building. My only critique is this should've been a composition as the bottom window is way too bloomed and the dust marks on right in the sky are distracting.

hnr2web - This is great, the exposure is just right, great mix of colours and contrast, framing is spot on too.

astrosinmyeyes - I like the rurality of this shot but the shot feels a bit too wide, too much of the shot is filled by the walls either side.

LongSticks - Lovely stacking of houses, the position you picked for this shot gives a great dissection of varying housing, the house on the left feels a bit distracting though, but I understand if it couldn't be helped, tight English paths are a nightmare!

macAllen - Nice abstract shot, I like photography like this that focuses on pieces of architecture that go unnoticed. It feels a little soft though, was your f-stop exceptionally wide?

iTiki - A medley to look at, engineering is a art form unto itself. The lighting really aids your shot and I understand how hard it is to deal with industrial lighting.

samcraig - There's so much I enjoy about this shot, the lighting and shadows, the framing, position, fantastic use of B&W.

twitch31 - Nice panorama, interesting view and the complexity keeps the eye wandering, my only criticisms would be that the colour balance doesn't seem right (did you use auto, manual Kelvin or preset?) and the exposure felt a dark.

ijohn.8.80 - Nice long exposure, the sky seems to be the main feature of this over the ruins though, lighting was obviously tough though so I can understand why the walls are dark.

someoldguy - Interesting view and the framing feels nice in this, lighting is good, might've tried stepping back a bit to see more of the door though.

acearchie - Great spiral, reminds me of the fibonacci spiral (a favourite framing technique of mine), exposure, colour and framing are all great on this.

AlexH - Nice B&W contrast and your processing really aids this, I'm not entirely sure on what the focal point is supposed to be though, my eye wanders but there's nothing I land on.

soulreaver99 - The shading from the lights are great! Your framing is nice but it feels a little off kilter. A subtle 2 tone technique could've adied in bringing out more definition.

imac wannabe - The contrast between the dark wall and white tombstones really give this shot a boost in contrast, it feels a little muddled though given the complexity of all of those stones.

oblomow - Wow! I'd love to know the backstory of this building! Colours are amazing, I'd love to see some close ups too!

Fujiko7 - Windows offer a great surreal perspective on skyscrapers and this is no exception, this feels a little dull though, some processing could've brought out some extra colour and contrasts in this.

farbRausch - Lovely colours! The processing on this is great, the vignette feels a little bit much around the edge, my eye is already drawn in anyway, the tone of this really nails the colours.

deep diver - I can't remember where this is but every time I see it I love the variations people take as using this as a reflective device. The fish eye like distortion is nice but the colouring feels a little dull in places.

I hope this feedback has been helpful, any questions feel free to PM me!

Great variety of shots here, it was very hard to decide the winner.

1. samcraig

2. oblomow

3. acearchie

I look forward to next weeks contest from samcraig!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thanks for your critiques this week! And everyone had such great shots - I am truly honored (and a bit surprised) to be in the top spot this week.

I'll post this next weeks theme later this evening.

Thanks again!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Thanks for judging! (and the 2nd place!).

The dome was built for a light exhibition that's organized every year in Eindhoven, NL. It was a temporary structure, completely open. Almost completely made out of lights.

This is the inside, looking up:

glow0004.jpg

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Thanks for judging! (and the 2nd place!).

The dome was built for a light exhibition that's organized every year in Eindhoven, NL. It was a temporary structure, completely open. Almost completely made out of lights.

This is the inside, looking up:

Wow it's so beautiful! Do you have a set anywhere online I could take a look at?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Thanks for the judging. Not my usual genre of photography but I have been trying to search out for more interesting shapes in nature and man made objects. This was one that really stuck out to me!

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Thanks for the feedback. This theme was hard for me but I found this from several years ago. This is Cloud Gate (aka "The Bean") in Chicago's Millennium Park. I do not disagree about the flat colors, but they are accurate. Chicago is usually pretty hazy (curse those Great Lakes), and the sculpture does seem to flatten some of the reflected colors. I did not place this week, but I did have fun the day I shot this.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Much thanks for both judging and the critique . You're right about including more of the doorway , don't know if I could have though . The location is in The Cloisters ,a museum of Medieval and Renaissance art in upper Manhattan , and is one of the entryways to the upper garden . IIRC the hall I was in isn't particularly wide and has various works of medieval sculpture on the sides . Could just imagine the excitement if someone backed into and knocked over some carving of an obscure saint . Could just see the article in the NY Times , 'Old guy with camera knocks over priceless statue of St. Mildred" .

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
ijohn.8.80 - Nice long exposure, the sky seems to be the main feature of this over the ruins though, lighting was obviously tough though so I can understand why the walls are dark.

First off Schtumple, thanks for the great effort in providing good feedback to all and the hard job of judging too!

I was playing with getting some depth and dimension to this, with differing amounts of darkness on different sections of the wall. Which worked to a certain point on my 27" screen, but lost that detail in shrinking to 1024px wide. I've since discovered a completely different way of approaching this with no duplication of the background necessary at all, so it creates a really light .psd file. This new technique covers a lot of different ways to bring out the best of a picture and really simply too! I'll share it when I get the time to finish this piece again in a couple of days time.

Congrat's to the winners and great choice for next weeks topic! Okay, off to the Cheesecake Shop for some inspiration...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.