Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamsfcal

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Need backgrounder for Nightstand App

I've used Backgrounder for years to keep my Nightstand application open during the night and to ensure that my alarm goes off in the morning even if I have used other apps before turning in. Nightstand is a great App but alarm function is pretty fragile and does not go off reliably without Backgrounder. I'd love to see Backgrounder updated for ios 6. Also use it to keep sports events running in ESPN Watch while i'm working on other stuff. Thanks for any help!!

Generalkhaos

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
I too am trying to find a nice app to accomplish something similar, although there are a few apps I might use the tweak with, all I am really wanting it for currently is to prevent minecraft pe from disconnecting my kids every time I neglect the iPhone for too long, switch to take a call or look something up, or if I just want to fire it up and sleep the screen and let them play by themselves.

I've tried insomnia and infinity task, as well as peering into the MCPE plists for clues, but no luck yet :(

Linkaylomen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
I too would like to see backgrounder running on my iOS 6.1.2 4S

It's unmatched by other similar apps in being able to force things like games to stay running in the background or apps that aren't native yet.

It's useful in my case to leave games especially running in background, especially when you need to wait forever for it to do something!

I'm willing to pay someone $20 if they can get it running using the open source code the original dev left.

PM me.

ik0221

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
To any devs reading this...

How difficult is this proposition? It seems with Backgrounder being open source and having functioned on the last version of iOS, someone would have come up with a working version by now. Am I mistaken? Is this somehow a tremendously difficult project to undertake?

----------

I have an alternate solution for the multitasking problem... as soon as the dev updates his app:

1. Buy Quasar!
2. Remove the iPad dependencies.
3. In "settings" set full screen only.
4. Use.

For more info, read here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1536290/

Possible? I don't see why not.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I need backgrounder and it's driving me crazy.

I'm willing to pay someone $20 if they can get it running using the open source code the original dev left.

PM me.
I would also donate money if someone made backgrounder working on ios 6 FLAWLESSLY not glitchy and half-assed like other apps...using the same open source code the original dev left.

I am a RAM consumption whore. I'm always looking at the free memory on the status bar on top from sbsettings. My free memory is lower because the stupid phone app is ALWAYS constantly running in the background. Oh yah..and every other freaking app that I open that ends up going into the task switcher that I have to remove later so it doesn't waste memory.

In backgrounder, I always had the phone app force closed. It still rings when you get a phone call. It's just it goes out of memory once you're done with a call and is not always in the "processes" toggle of sbsettings. Without backgrounder that phone app will never go away no matter how many times you delete it in sbsettings.

I also liked putting safari in background because I would switch to another app and then come back to safari and the page would be loaded right up without waiting again each time I opened safari for the same dang page to load up.

I used backgrounder in order to go back and forth to get all information on an app that did not offer "copy and paste" function such as the facebook app.

I'm not a gamer or anything but I do understand for the whole simpsons game thing and feel empathy for them.

I had all my music apps set to automatically background once opened and to stay backgrounded after hitting home. I had every app that had no purpose of being backgrounded to force close once I closed the app via the home button so that they didn't stay in memory. These include the weather app (seriously, I don't need that to stay in memory), calculator, news app, etc etc etc.

The only closest thing I can get to being able to force close all apps is the remove background tweak that you use with activator but it doesn't close the phone app from the processes toggle in sbsettings.

I find myself hitting that "free memory" in sbsettings a LOOOOT more often now without backbrounder.

ugh...really driving me insane.

Oh yah...and I also ALWAYS had maps backgrounded while I drive in my car in order to go back and forth from maps to the music app. Yah I know I shouldn't drive while using that thing but backgrounder made it easy. lol.

Someone needs to get backgrounder working on ios 6 and keep its legacy going. Backgrounder was the Sh$& back in the day and it still is. Apple doesn't know how to multitask on ios god they just bother me so much. I wouldn't even have an iphone if I couldn't jailbreak it and get rid of apple's mistakes.

Last edited:

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
backgrounder didnt really even work on iOS 5

wouldn't get my hopes up :(

Sorry for the double post but....YES...backgrounder DID work for ME on ios 5...before I upgraded to 6.1.2 the other day...and I'm HIGHLY disappointed it's being abandoned. Somebody needs to get it to work on ios 6...

Backgrounder and sbsettings are THE first apps I install after restoring/updating and jailbreaking.

Last edited:

fro8o

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Will pay for Backgrounder

So devs, does anyone want to get rich making Backgrounder App functional? ;-)

starbai

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2009
I've been an ios fanboy for a long time.

Once I jailbroke my phone I could never go back.

I waited forever for the JB to be released, and stuck to 5.0.1 for a long time.

I'm seriously regretting upgrading to 6 now.

I have been eligible for an upgrade for quite some time but have been holding out (for god knows what makes no sense to wait as something new will be out in less than a year anyway) -

I'm seriously considering jumping ship to either the new HTC One or Samsung S4...

I'm just tired of basic functions (like a backgrounder) needing a jailbreak tweak. I dunno if androids can do it outta the box but these I would think are basic functionality that i didn't mind having to jail break to do... but now and increasingly so looks like there are less and less JB options.

Backgrounder was great, I had it for years and almost took it for-granted kind of forgetting the great things it did.

Now everytime I switch from TuneIn to GroupMe for example, the app shuts down, no music.

Its ridiculous, with the hardware power thats out these days, Apple can't see fit to let us run a few things in the background without needing a JB tweak?

:mad:

ik0221

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
[...]
[...]
I'm seriously considering jumping ship to either the new HTC One or Samsung S4...

Ditto.
Now... Is threre REALLY no way to downgrade? Stitching blobs, or whatever? Do we just have to wait until the next redsn0w? (for the 4s and up, I mean)

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I dunno if androids can do it outta the box but these I would think are basic functionality that i didn't mind having to jail break to do...

Android has great multitasking / backgrounding support on the (non-rooted) API level. I'll very soon publish an article on the differences between iOS and Android, multitask- and background task-killing wise now that I'm testing the new "InfinityTask" JB tweak - in it, I'll compare the two systems (on the API level too) very thoroughly.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I'd be willing to pay for the utility as well. Ideally an app by app selection for "true backgrounding", even better would be with an activator switch.

ik0221

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
I'll very soon publish an article on the differences between iOS and Android, multitask- and background task-killing wise now that I'm testing the new "InfinityTask" JB tweak - in it, I'll compare the two systems (on the API level too) very thoroughly.

Looking forward to that, thanks!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Android has great multitasking / backgrounding support on the (non-rooted) API level. I'll very soon publish an article on the differences between iOS and Android, multitask- and background task-killing wise now that I'm testing the new "InfinityTask" JB tweak - in it, I'll compare the two systems (on the API level too) very thoroughly.

Awesome! I always enjoy your articles and I've been hoping to see an in depth review of InfinityTask. Every site that has an "article" about it is really just a quick features write up. They don't actually go into any depth how it does, or does not, work with various apps. Please post here when you're done writing the comparison!

----------

I've been an ios fanboy for a long time.

I waited forever for the JB to be released, and stuck to 5.0.1 for a long time.

I have been eligible for an upgrade for quite some time but have been holding out (for god knows what makes no sense to wait as something new will be out in less than a year anyway) -

I'm just tired of basic functions (like a backgrounder) needing a jailbreak tweak. I dunno if androids can do it outta the box but these I would think are basic functionality that i didn't mind having to jail break to do... but now and increasingly so looks like there are less and less JB options.

Backgrounder was great, I had it for years and almost took it for-granted kind of forgetting the great things it did.

Now everytime I switch from TuneIn to GroupMe for example, the app shuts down, no music.

Its ridiculous, with the hardware power thats out these days, Apple can't see fit to let us run a few things in the background without needing a JB tweak?

:mad:

Wait, your TuneIn app stops suing when you switch to a different app? I use that app every single day to listen to Boston sports talk radio and it never stops working in the background. I either have to pause or stop the live stream or remove the app from the multitasking tray to make it stop. Matter of fact, once I start playing the stream I almost always switch to another app to do other things on my phone.

dundundata

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
I will jump on the bandwagon here would love more control over apps like final fantasy 1, commander compass, itrans3, etc.

gonca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Europe
Using right now infinitytask tweak however doesn't really work as backgrounder. Eventually someone will try to update backgrounder to io6..

Brescian

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Please explain

Could someone plz plz explain what backgrounder did that infinity task can't. Infinity ask says it can remove the 10 min time limit. If that is true how can it be different?
Does infinity task not work once the screen is locked but backgrounder did?
Does infinity task only work for apps that are already set to run in the background for the maximum 10 min limit but not for other apps that are normally set to close before the ten minute limit?

gonca

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
Europe
Could someone plz plz explain what backgrounder did that infinity task can't. Infinity ask says it can remove the 10 min time limit. If that is true how can it be different?
Does infinity task not work once the screen is locked but backgrounder did?
Does infinity task only work for apps that are already set to run in the background for the maximum 10 min limit but not for other apps that are normally set to close before the ten minute limit?

Basically with infinitytask if an app is not running at some moment will not reactive again (freezes). It works fine just to let the app finish to perform some activity already started by the user.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I just noticed, OP never game back nor even told us the apps he was wanting to run.

Perhaps this was all just a test *gasp*.

No seriously OP, if you aren't going to tell us what apps you're trying to run, then we can't really help you find the proper alternative.

Linkaylomen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
The OP probably isn't getting email alerts, much like I haven't been for some time now.

Backgrounder truly keeps apps open in the background, I think the best way to describe it would be that it keeps things in memory so you can open a memory editing app and the values are still held there to be edited.

Brescian

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Check out this article on how apps run in the background.
http://www.macworld.com/article/1164616/how_ios_multitasking_really_works.html
Sorry linkay but I don't think your explanation is correct for apps that are actually running. You are describing a state where an app is not running but it's last task is still in memory until the is decides it needs that memory for other apps.

My main reason for wanting backgrounder is because I have one of those new low energy blue tooth devices that attaches to your key chain and can track your iphone and can alert you if it is too far from you.

According to this article there are 5 exceptions where apple allows apps to run in the background indefinitely. One of those is when an external device signals the app to continue running. Theoretically this is how my Bluetooth device should work ( it's the kennsington proximo) but in reality it sometimes fails to keep the app running.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether infinitask could help ensure that the proximo app for this Bluetooth device stays running continuously in the backgroud. That way I could forget about having to check the app when i am out to make sure it has not shut off.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Id just like something to keep Skype open all the time on the iPhone so I can receive phone calls.

jasotastic

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
I have an alternate solution for the multitasking problem... as soon as the dev updates his app:

1. Buy Quasar!
2. Remove the iPad dependencies.
3. In "settings" set full screen only.
4. Use.

I just wanted to point out that this solution did exactly what I was looking to do when I reached this forum. I was looking for a way to keep Final Fantasy open in the background instead of having it autosave and close each time I hit the home button or switched to another app. The app I wanted to switch to was gameplayer (which has to be able to find the game open in the background).

The only downside to this is that I cannot run FFI in full screen with Quasar activated. I'll have to turn it off and on each time I want to play normally.

EDIT!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stand corrected. There is a second downside. Quasar causes my game to crash every so often. So, I have to save more than usual.

Last edited:

ik0221

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
I just wanted to point out that this solution did exactly what I was looking to do when I reached this forum. I was looking for a way to keep Final Fantasy open in the background instead of having it autosave and close each time I hit the home button or switched to another app. The app I wanted to switch to was gameplayer (which has to be able to find the game open in the background).

The only downside to this is that I cannot run FFI in full screen with Quasar activated. I'll have to turn it off and on each time I want to play normally.

EDIT!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stand corrected. There is a second downside. Quasar causes my game to crash every so often. So, I have to save more than usual.

Glad I could help, but as far as I know Qasar hasn't been updated for iOS 6 yet. How did you make this happen...? Or are you just running iOS 5.x?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.