Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Looking at Google Finance for AAPL, I see that it has sunk to a new 52 week low in price today. It is down to around $428. At this rate, AAPL will be below $400 by the beginning of summer. It has crashed over 35% from where it was just 6 months ago.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
The problem is that Apple were able to coast along on Jobs' momentum, but Tim Cook's got nothing. I have zero confidence in the new CEO. I purchased GOOG and have been very happy with the stock's performance. I will liquidate half of my AAPL shares if they hit $425 and the remaining half if it hits $400. All my shares are pre original iPad so it will still be a good return. But hey, at least Tim Cook's on top of that whole gay marriage thing.

In fact, every time Tim Cook speaks publicly the share price goes down. Ah, how they've fallen since the days when people couldn't wait for "...oh, and one more thing..."

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Looking at Google Finance for AAPL, I see that it has sunk to a new 52 week low in price today. It is down to around $428. At this rate, AAPL will be below $400 by the beginning of summer. It has crashed over 35% from where it was just 6 months ago.

Investors make money from volatility (the price going up or down). Right now, it's easier to talk down the price of Apple stock then to talk it up. Last year, it was easier to talk the price up which is why it hit $700.

Look at Netflix if you want to see people buying it way above value.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The problem is that Apple were able to coast along on Jobs' momentum, but Tim Cook's got nothing. I have zero confidence in the new CEO. I purchased GOOG and have been very happy with the stock's performance. I will liquidate half of my AAPL shares if they hit $425 and the remaining half if it hits $400. All my shares are pre original iPad so it will still be a good return. But hey, at least Tim Cook's on top of that whole gay marriage thing.

In fact, every time Tim Cook speaks publicly the share price goes down. Ah, how they've fallen since the days when people couldn't wait for "...oh, and one more thing..."

So I guess Steve was an idiot because he recommended Cook for CEO?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Also pundants that make claims about how Apple should be run. The fact is, none of us are really qualified to determine how a multi-billion dollar company should be operating. The fact is the Board of directors seems to think that Tim Cook is doing his job properly. The fact that they make billions of dollars in profit every ingle year is a pretty good thing to me.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Apple has sunk to another new 52 week low today with trading hovering around $421.50, a drop of another 2 percent from Friday. At this rate, I think Apple could drop below $400 by the end of March.

With today's prices, Apple has nosedived over 40% from where it was just 6 months ago at $700. It is a catastrophe for anyone holding Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple has sunk to another new 52 week low today with trading hovering around $421.50, a drop of another 2 percent from Friday. At this rate, I think Apple could drop below $400 by the end of March.

With today's prices, Apple has nosedived over 40% from where it was just 6 months ago at $700. It is a catastrophe for anyone holding Apple.

Not if you're holding it for the long term.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Not if you're holding it for the long term.

Losing 40% of your wealth in just 6 months is a catastrophe by any standard. Holding a tech stock in the middle of its meltdown is doubly unwise because technology marches on and leaves falling companies behind. Did you also think it was wise to hold onto Nokia stock for the long term when it too started crashing from the height of its power? Apple will never again reach back to the $700 mark.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

If you feel that way.

1) Short Apple stock.
2) Post how bad Apple is in order to drive the stock down.
3) Profit and offset some loses if you bought at $700.

Many people are following this strategy which is why you keep getting bombarded by the bad Apple news and why the stock keeps falling.

Eventually, they will not be able to talk the stock any lower and suddenly, Apple will be the best company out there and a must buy.

I agree with you though that you will probably never see $700 prices again but I think people were being foolish if they bought at those levels. Just remember, all analyst are trying to get you to either buy or sell a stock.

----------

Losing 40% of your wealth in just 6 months is a catastrophe by any standard. Holding a tech stock in the middle of its meltdown is doubly unwise because technology marches on and leaves falling companies behind. Did you also think it was wise to hold onto Nokia stock for the long term when it too started crashing from the height of its power? Apple will never again reach back to the $700 mark.

You never lose or gain till you actually sell.

You also should look at it this way. Even if it doesn't make it back to the $700 mark, you are still losing a lot more money selling the stock at $400 rather than $500.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I got the stock at $480... I'm down by about 12.5% now.... Hopefully I will be able to sell it at $545 :(

I wanna spend the profits on rmbp

Last edited:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I got the stock at $480... I'm down by about 12.5% now.... Hopefully I will be able to sell it at $545 :(

I don't think Apple will even be able to touch $545 again with the new Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5 X Phone, and Google Glass all coming out this year. Samsung will pretty much rake in more revenue and profit than Apple this year.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
I don't think Apple will even be able to touch $545 again with the new Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5 X Phone, and Google Glass all coming out this year. Samsung will pretty much rake in more revenue and profit than Apple this year.

Samsung is actually gonna be the company that will be in trouble this year. Not only that the iPhone will be offered in 4" and 5" displays, but the lower-cost iPhone will also go after Samsung's lower-end market. Samsung is a copycat, Apple is appealing for another court, hopefully, Samsung will have to pay even more for copying Apple products.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good article by Ben Bajarin at Time. No matter how you look at it Apple's continued sell off is just plain baffling. Right now Apple's PE is less than Dell's. this hatred for the stock doesn't seem to be grounded in reality.

Apple’s Reality Distortion Field Relocates to Wall Street

----------

Because Apple's not releasing any new products this year? And who in the world will be buying $1500 glasses? If anything is a niche product that is.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I say buy when it gets even lower, around $400. It'll shoot back up.

I've read articles that said to buy Facebook and sell Apple, LOL! The market is rigged.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
If Samsung releases SGS4 with the same design as the SGS3, I think it's game over for samsung.

It's time for Apple to re-claim the crown once again!

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
If Samsung releases SGS4 with the same design as the SGS3, I think it's game over for samsung.

It's time for Apple to re-claim the crown once again!

I predict the SGS4 will be a runaway hit and Apple will sink to below $350 by mid summer.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Out of sheer luck I decided to sell off a large part of my stock right as it crested $700 in Sept. Never did I imagine it would plunge as it has. Yet I've always used a long term strategy. What I sold at $700 I bought at $20 a long time ago.

Recently I went back for more that I will hold for quite some time. It will recover, the only unknown is how much. There's a lot of life remaining in Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.