Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianNeef

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
What you should probably do is right-click on the kexts for each and "Show package contents", that will let you get to the files inside. Info.plist is where the settings are held - so if you compare the Macbook-fixed version with the new one and copy the settings across that should do it.

Just tried that. There was one different value in the info.plist, called 'IOPCIMatch'. I changed it to the value that tomd25 had for it, which is '0x00000000&0x00000000' in stead of '0x000010de&0x0000ffff'.

I deleted the one that I had and replaced it with an updated version with changed values. After a restart, NVInject did start (which is good), but there are no visible changes. Still banded colors on the Macbook display and fortunately no pinstripes on the external display (which is good).

I really have no idea what I'm doing by changing values around. Is there someone around with a bit more expertise?

tomd25

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2009
I did try and look at this a bit ago but I can't remember what I changed in the plist first time round - I'm sure it was something obvious like "Monitor1Dither" - and couldn't see any similar settings in this new NVInject. For some reason, my monitor is working fine with ML without NVInject so I don't want to risk playing around and breaking it, sorry!

jpq

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
Last edited:

redlinner

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
64bit Solution

Hi Guys,

I edit the 64bit NVInject file to work only with an external monitor. The only change I make is replacing the following code:
Code:
<key>AAPL00,Dither</key>
<data>
AAAAAQ==
</data>
<key>AAPL01,Dither</key>
<data>
AAAAAQ==
</data>
to
Code:
<key>AAPL01,Dither</key>
<data>
AAAAAQ==
</data>

I tested it under 10.8 and it works well without any issues.

Download link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/267p6c

All the Best.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
I just bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M to use with my Mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro (Nvidia 9400M) running 10.8.2. After a short time of use I noticed vertical lines in some colors that should have been solid.

I have now installed the NVinject kext from this tread. I used the one redlinner did some small modifications to. So far it works great!

I would just like to say a big THANK YOU to all in this tread for finding a fix for this issue.

sleepyblue

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Thank you (Dell U2412M + Macbook 2010)

Similarly to Zepman I just bought a Dell Ultrasharp U2412M to use with my 2010 Macbook Pro 15" with a Nvidia GeForce GT 330M 256 MB on 10.8 Mountain Lion. I had both pin-striping but also flashing on certain tones of colour, mainly variants of grey. After trawling through the internet to no avail I took it to the Apple Store where some textbook quoting goon told me it was the monitor, LUCKILY as I was about to give up all hope I found the 64bit version of Nvinject.ktext with redlinner's alteration and so far seems to have done the trick so BIG THANKS and hopefully anyone suffering the same issues will stumble across this...

knell

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
It seems that this method doesn't work on 10.7 with ATI cards. By that I mean there was no evidence that NVinject was loading at boot (no console messages) and manually loading the kext didn't put the Dither keys in the registry.

Is there an analogous method for disabling dithering on ATI hardware?

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
It seems that this method doesn't work on 10.7 with ATI cards. By that I mean there was no evidence that NVinject was loading at boot (no console messages) and manually loading the kext didn't put the Dither keys in the registry.

Is there an analogous method for disabling dithering on ATI hardware?

NVInject is only for nVidia cards, unfortunately.:(

knell

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
NVInject is only for nVidia cards, unfortunately.:(

Yeah I realize that but this problem isn't isolated to just nVidia cards. How have people with ATI hardware turned off dithering?

Also, does anyone know what about NVinject makes it nVidia-specific?

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Yeah I realize that but this problem isn't isolated to just nVidia cards. How have people with ATI hardware turned off dithering?

Also, does anyone know what about NVinject makes it nVidia-specific?

We haven't been able to turn off dithering with ATI cards, unfortunately. The issue seems dependent on the particular card: My old Radeon X1600 had the problem, while the Radeon HD 6850 in my hackintosh works fine.

What's your system/GPU? Have you tried the other troubleshooting steps in the beginning of the thread (e.g. using DisplayPort, unplugging/reattaching the display cable after boot)? Short of reporting the problem to Apple via the Genius Bar, there's little we can do at this point for older ATI cards that are affected.

Lexis

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Can someone please reupload the file from Redlinner above? The sendspace file is not available anymore...

Last edited:

mm201

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bump.
I have the pinstripe issue on my 2011 Mini with the Radeon 6630M and the Dell S2340L. It's a subtle effect everywhere (not confined to certain shades) but is very noticeable on blues and oranges, like the blue menu highlight colour. The stripes are vertical.

I would lug my stuff to the Apple Store but the geniuses don't have very good eyesight. :p They didn't notice the image retention on my first rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.