Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be developing a two terabyte solid state drive for inclusion in the next Mac Pro according to an unconfirmed report by Bright Side Of News.

Apple has said a new Mac Pro should arrive sometime in 2013, though it's unknown exactly when Intel's new processors will arrive, leaving the actual launch timeframe somewhat in question. Intel's next-generation Xeon chips are expected to arrive in late 2013.

mac_pro_2010_side_top_half.jpg
But seeing a 2TB Solid State Drive with an Apple logo on it opens very large ground for speculation. Given that we were not able to learn more about the parts in question, we have to leave it at that. But from the looks of it, the 2TB drives used industry standard 3.5" form factor, full height (just like your regular 3.5" spinning drive) and a SATA connector (not SAS or some proprietary port).
The site notes that if the new Mac Pro has a design similar to the current model, it would be capable of holding 8TB of solid state storage per workstation.

Article Link: Apple Building 2TB Solid State Drives for Next Mac Pro Release?

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Any mac pro news to me is good news. But 2TB SSD's in the new mac pro sounds awesome.

This just got interesting!

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
It's probably just a 2TB fusion drive, maybe with a 512gb SSD as the flash part.

A 2TB SSD at apples prices would be like....$5,000

Reactions: jblagden

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
My god they better get that price down. The pro is already expensive and add an ssd the thing would cost as much as a car!

Love to see some Mac news especially Mac Pro news :)!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The site notes that if the new Mac Pro has a design similar to the current model, it would be capable of holding 8TB of solid state storage per workstation.

Really?

So your telling us that 4 x 2 = 8 ? Wow that's just plain genius............ Thanks for clearing that up.... ;)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's probably just a 2TB fusion drive, maybe with a 512gb SSD as the flash part.

A 2TB SSD at apples prices would be like....$5,000

My guess would be somewhere between $2,000-3,000, since it will be using larger form factor and Apple charges $500-750 for 500GB flash storage depending on the Mac.

Having said that, I would be much more interested in cheaper Mac Pro using non Xeon CPU with Fusion drive option.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Leave that for third party developement, Just release the Macpro

I tried upgrading an old MBP to an OWC solid state, and firmware issues, garbage collection, or something kept making the machine crash. This was after they had supposedly fixed the problem with firmware. I returned it and waited...

I now have a rMBP with an apple SSD installed, and have 0 issues. 3rd party may sound good on paper, but often causes tons of headaches.

I hope they sell the bare drive so I can throw it in a thunderbolt enclosure for some sweet performance with my MBP. I hate waiting for drives to spin up, and hate wasting heat and energy keeping them spinning.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'll skip the 2 tb SSD and hope for

USB 3
Thunderbolt (at least 2)
Ease to put in a SATA DVD/BD unit

My wish list that wont happen -
Smaller footprint
slight drop in price
third party "slot" units to go where disc drive in front go so that an SSD can be 'inserted' or some other 2.5 drive.
updated graphics cards that are not last generation etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.