Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
The one thing that would make me upgrade to 5S would be better battery life. It´s all I ask. The battery is horrible in iPhone 5. It was a huge downgrade from iPhone 4´s battery. Even Apple´s own specs shows this. I can no longer be in peace that my battery will last the whole day. I use to have no worry at all. Sometimes I don´t want to even listen to music or browse the web when I´m out, just so that the battery won´t run out on me.

So I don´t really get what Apple is doing, I guess thinness wins? But I sincerily hope they will give us more battery life and never downgrade that again! :mad:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I get decent battery life with my 5. I get about 7 hours of usage. My 4S couldn't even come close to that usage. My 4S got between 5 and 6 hours of usage.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I get decent battery life with my 5. I get about 7 hours of usage. My 4S couldn't even come close to that usage. My 4S got between 5 and 6 hours of usage.

That´s because 4S had a worse battery life than iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 has had the best battery life of all iPhones. Apple´s own specs even show this.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

iPhone 4 has had the best battery life of all iPhones. Apple´s own specs even show this.

Well, 4 got about the same as my 4S. Maybe slightly better, but no where near my 5.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
I get better Battery on my 5 then my 4 and much more then my 4S :cool:

Who knows what the 5S will have, i don't really care though as i wont be getting one.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

iPhone 5 standby 225h
iPhone 4S standby 200h
iPhone 4 standby 300h

That´s 75 hours more! 75 hours!

There's one big difference: iPhone 4 got these results on iOS 4, iPhone 4S got these results on iOS 5, iPhone 5 got these results on iOS 6.

What I am saying is that with iOS 5 we got a new notifications system and a new lock screen. Nowadays, the screen lights up regularly for notifications of all kinds. On iOS 4, the screen usually only lighted up for messages and incoming calls. Few 3rd party apps produced notifications. Nowadays, you'll get a notification and the screen will light up for not playing a game for an hour "hey, come back and play our game, we miss you".

I bet you can achieve 300 hours of stand-by time when you turn all notifications off except for messages and calls.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

iPhone 5 standby 225h
iPhone 4S standby 200h
iPhone 4 standby 300h

That´s 75 hours more! 75 hours!

You're being pretty selective in the stats you're comparing; the iPhone 5 is the better of the bunch in every battery life spec except standby time. 225 hours is a long time for my phone to be sitting around and doing nothing, so I'm not sure how upset about that I would be if I had a 5 (I have a 4 currently; waiting for the 5S or whatever comes out next).

Considering the improvements in size, network connectivity, processing power, software features, and usage time...a 75 hour drop in standby time to "only" 225 hours seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yes, it will have more battery life.

Since no one but the Apple engineers know, everybody else who tries to answer your question really doesn't know anything...except me.

Only I know, unlike anybody else outside Apple, because I have a telepathic connection to the battery developers at Apple.

So, there will be a major improvement in battery life.

Trust me on this...

:rolleyes:

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
There's one big difference: iPhone 4 got these results on iOS 4, iPhone 4S got these results on iOS 5, iPhone 5 got these results on iOS 6.

What I am saying is that with iOS 5 we got a new notifications system and a new lock screen. Nowadays, the screen lights up regularly for notifications of all kinds. On iOS 4, the screen usually only lighted up for messages and incoming calls. Few 3rd party apps produced notifications. Nowadays, you'll get a notification and the screen will light up for not playing a game for an hour "hey, come back and play our game, we miss you".

I bet you can achieve 300 hours of stand-by time when you turn all notifications off except for messages and calls.

I've never actually see any iPhone 5 with standby time of 12-13 days (312) hours.....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

iPhone 4 battery life has been OK at best in my experience (dealing with a few of the phones over the last couple of years), iPhone 5 battery performance has been at least somewhat better (again, dealing with a few of the phones over the past few months, so far).

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Simple answer.....No.

Why? Because they are not going to change the design IMHO. It will be the same weight and thickness. It will have an improved processor and camera (no more purple hue problem). They might increase the screen's ppi, but I think it will be a minor upgrade overall.

I still think the iPhone 6 with iOS 7 will be significant upgrade. Probably a 4.5 inch screen, again better processor, possibly better battery. But remember, to increase the battery life they will almost have to put a larger, heavier battery in the phone and Apple just loves to have a light device. That said, iOS 7 and a better, more efficient processor could help increase battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.