Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DRL453

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Before I went to sleep last night, my powerbook was sitting on my desk sleeping as usual and when I looked at the little white light on the front I noticed that it would slowly brighten then dim back down. It repeated this all night. Is this normal, and if so, what is it doing??

Thanks

dadio2002

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
London, Ontario
Thats normal. That just the powerbook showing you that it is sleeping. It happens on all computers and that standby/sleep. On ocs they usually just blink.

Ryon

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
That's completely normal and I understand that all Macs' sleep lights do this. It's just a cool/cutesy thing that Apple throws in. Many people say it makes it appear the computer is "breathing" or "snoring" while it's asleep.

I like it better than what my HP tower does when it's on standby... it FLASHES its huge blue-lit power button obnoxiously.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yup, normal. I like the kind of soothing pulsating effect since my powerbook does not face me when I sleep, but rather kind of fills the corner of my room with a soft glow. :) If you have a 15" or 17" you will find that the sleep light automatically dims with the lid open to meet the ambient light in the room. So when the lights are out and you are going to sleep, the light will be quite dim. However, when the lid is closed, the sleep light sensors are blocked, so the light goes full blast (bothers some people but not me).

lucface

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2005
ilike like it to, untill im sleeping. its anoying when i can (just barely) see a pulsating lite through my eye lids. its destracting. i always just through a shirt over it or something.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
lucface said:
ilike like it to, untill im sleeping. its anoying when i can (just barely) see a pulsating lite through my eye lids. its destracting. i always just through a shirt over it or something.
Why don't you just power down for the night if it bothers you to that extent?

I personally think it's pretty cool. Gives the system an alive feeling, but also tends to give me the urge to go wake it up and play. :p

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Ahhh the snoring sleep light. If you leave your Powerbook lid open, the ambient light sensors will automatically dim the sleep light if the room is dark, or make it brighter if the room is well lit up.

:cool: How cool is that?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
EGT said:
Ahhh the snoring sleep light. If you leave your Powerbook lid open, the ambient light sensors will automatically dim the sleep light if the room is dark, or make it brighter if the room is well lit up.

:cool: How cool is that?

unless you have a 12" powerbook ;)

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
PlaceofDis said:
unless you have a 12" powerbook ;)

Do they not have the light sensor for adjusting the screen brightness, which in turn also adjusts the sleep light?

Maybe only the backlit enabled 'books do this. Poor little 12", So neglected.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
EGT said:
Do they not have the light sensor for adjusting the screen brightness, which in turn also adjusts the sleep light?

Maybe only the backlit enabled 'books do this. Poor little 12", So neglected.

no sensor, the 12" powerbooks don't have the backlit keyboard thus no sensor, unless i missed that on a recent update, i think only the 17" & 15" are blessed.

edit: just checked apple's site, this is still the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.