Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
I'm in the middle of an Image Retention issue... still have the original machine and deciding what to do. Looks like I will have a talk with Apple. Either way, I will get my difference back. Return this one, and buy a new one, or exchange this one for a new one and get a credit - it's up to them.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Just spoke to my rep at Apple. This is a great example of why you should always try to buy directly from Apple and not a reseller.

They refunded me the difference because I was within 14 days of the price change (it's within 14 days after you received your product, please check the T&C of your particular country)

And, they recommended to me that I take a replacement since I have seen IR.

So I not only have a new machine coming, but also a nice refund. So while LG sucks, Apple rocks. Can you imagine this with Sony or some other brand?

The Norseman

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
WOW, thanks so much for the heads up on this thread. I ordered a 27" imac with the 768 flash storage at the end of January, and it's still in processing mode. I called Apple today, and got a $469 refund. Without this thread, I never would have known. Thanks.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Wow, good news for new iMac buyes. If you got the money, I would definately get the SSD-only option.
No hard feelings here (early iMac late 2012 buyer here). I couldn't imagine waiting 3 months extra just to save a few hundred bucks... :D

heinzgruber

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
ordered in dec 2012 and get the imac end of january 2013.
called apple end of feb. and now i get 100€ (130 us-dollar) back :D

Bemidjiboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
How long till fusion is gone, then?

So, what I wonder is this: how long until the HDD disappears completely from the lineup? Seems likely that the Fusion is the transition to all flash drives, eh? I can imagine the price dropping like a rock over the next year. To wait or not to wait...:rolleyes:

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
So, what I wonder is this: how long until the HDD disappears completely from the lineup? Seems likely that the Fusion is the transition to all flash drives, eh? I can imagine the price dropping like a rock over the next year. To wait or not to wait...:rolleyes:

500GB and 1TB SSDs that are affordable are on the horizon; 3TB SSDs are another story. I think the FusionDrive technology has more than a year left; as a matter of fact, just because you can get an affordable 500GB SSD, why WOULDN'T you want to "fuse it" with a 3TB HDD?

For many, a 500GB or 1TB SSD may be all that they ever need; heck, there are quite a few folks who are good with a 256GB SSD on a MBA and never need an external drive. However, for the person who has a good-sized iTunes library, Aperture library, and a bunch of games, the FD technology is great. It allows you great speed plus large storage.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
ordered in dec 2012 and get the imac end of january 2013.
called apple end of feb. and now i get 100€ (130 us-dollar) back :D
I guess it depends on who you talk to. They told me no such credit for my similar timed order. Oh well . . . .

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
as a matter of fact, just because you can get an affordable 500GB SSD, why WOULDN'T you want to "fuse it" with a 3TB HDD?

I would speculate that most people who are buying the current large SSD option (768 GB)... have a need to control location of some data. That indicate (to me) that creation of a FD of such a setup would be very undesirable.

I am being careful to try to not let my personal usage dictate my recommendation. However... I have a 768GB SSD + 8TB Tunderbolt Pegasus array. A spectacular combination that allows me to have screaming fast data on the SSD + very fast bulk data on the Pegasus.

/Jim

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I would speculate that most people who are buying the current large SSD option (768 GB)... have a need to control location of some data. That indicate (to me) that creation of a FD of such a setup would be very undesirable.

I am being careful to try to not let my personal usage dictate my recommendation. However... I have a 768GB SSD + 8TB Tunderbolt Pegasus array. A spectacular combination that allows me to have screaming fast data on the SSD + very fast bulk data on the Pegasus.

/Jim

that is the setup i wanted but ended up with 1tb fusion :(
still looking into getting a pegasus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.